Britain calls for urgent climate change action

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Britain calls for urgent climate change action

At what point does the bandwagon become reality and your 'reality' become the bandwagon? The claim that that investment in greenhouse gas emission reduction today will cripple the industrial economy is being refuted at every turn. While doing nothing will certainly cost the planet more than just dollars, I have no issues with putting the situation in economic terms.

http://environment.guardian.co.uk/cl...935201,00.html

Key elements of the Stern report:
    http://environment.guardian.co.uk/cl...935211,00.html

Re: Britain calls for urgent climate change action

You just convinced me.

Even my favorite rag, the Economist, ran a huge special discussing the importance of acting now on global warming. I opened it with the expectation that it would have some new information, or put the existing information in a new light, and attempt to convince me without the same old nonsense. I was disappointed, to say the least.
    A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
      Even my favorite rag, the Economist, ran a huge special discussing the importance of acting now on global warming.
      The Economist is not a rag!

Comment

So I was watching BBC news a few minutes ago and apparently Britain causes 2% of the worlds greenhouse gas emmisions. If Britain sank into the sea all of a sudden then China would make up for our emissions within 2 years.

It looks like our government wants to increase tax for the people who cause pollution (motorists, home owners, airline passengers etc) but they are not sure which of these are going to be taxed or how they are going to increase the tax on them.

Comment

show me a government that will actually put 100% of the new planned taxes into a research into practical renewable energy and climate change, and ill vote for them and actively takepart.

give me a government that taxes people on so called enviromental taxes and plans to tax further with little to no research being funded from this... and i will continue to drive my car when ever i want, etc etc...

its ridiculous, this country has had a hose pipe ban all the way through the summer. when the company running londons water (thames water) made record profits this year. and global warming was blaimed... yes i had a burst waterpipe at the bottom of my road for 2 months.... they sackedall their engineers and they saved money... and the more pipes leak the higher theirprices are... win win for the fat cats wouldnt you agree..

this statement is not aimed at anyone here but at the chumps who are quick to line their pockets with my tax....

stop creating a problem with no solution and create a solution to a problem.

im not being funny but General mototrs have created a car run soley on hydrogen, and through private enterprise. yet all we can come up with is nanny tactics of dont do this dont do that....

ramble over...

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Originally posted by DudeMan View Post
            im not being funny but General mototrs have created a car run soley on hydrogen, and through private enterprise. yet all we can come up with is nanny tactics of dont do this dont do that....
            I agree with most of what you say, but I should mention that hydrogen isnt actually an energy source (at least not yet). Think of it like a really big, awesome, battery. Which has to be recharged by plugging back into an old fashioned coal-powered electric plant, or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
              I agree with most of what you say, but I should mention that hydrogen isnt actually an energy source (at least not yet). Think of it like a really big, awesome, battery. Which has to be recharged by plugging back into an old fashioned coal-powered electric plant, or something.
              Right but electricity is a renewable energy if created properly.... not saying its an over night cure, the point is, car company's are doing more than the creators of this green tax...

the fact is, we have the science to make renewable electricity on a grand scale, yet nothing is being done on that line. we areconstantly told, that wind turbines on mass are too expensive to build, yet the fuel pricesin this country are taxed to a ridiculous level.... you guys are paying like what 2-3 dollars to the gallon... wepay nearly 1 or like 1.45 dollas per litre.... and then there is the congestion charge currently in london, and plans to charge the whole of the M25 the london orbital... and what is planned with that cash? nothing... we alledgedly have a liberal government in this copuntry, yet at every turn their green taxes are pricing the poorer people off the road and airlines.

im rambling again...

point being, why pay tax for nothing, pay taxfor research, and action yes, but the tax hasto be 100% for that or its just another stealth tax. and justlook at the economists explanation 2% which will beswallowed by chinain 2 years anyway... how does decreasing the quality of life ofyour electorate justify a maximum of 0.2% change. and it will affect the people in the country, because people will not be able to afford holidays abroard because the airlines will be hit with green tax. people will have to go out of their way not to use the car because they cant afford it... its ridiculous and it will only affect the people who need a break most. the lower echelons of society...

bloody retarded. and i have to stop typing im going round in circles.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

What if... you just don't tax it to begin with.
                A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

Comment

Hey, if we could all get away with living the same carbon nuetral life that Al Gore does, then why wouldn't we want the brits to pay higher taxes. To get a peek into Al Gore's carbon nuetral life, check out this link!

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion...re-green_x.htm

Lucky Shot

Comment

on the radio they said something along the lines of "the end of cheap driving"

i was like "WHAT THE HELL??? we are the most expensive country to drive in can it GET any worse" I mean what they going to do, put 200% tax on petrol.... its already 80% something. W******!!!!!

ARRRRRRG

what i don't understand is why it keeps popping up as front page news all the time then disappearing for a few months. Has it all of a sudden become worse? nope, its the same it was the last dozen times they mentioned it.

The issue with Global warming is that its a EARTH natural cycle... sure we are adding to the heat (WWI and WWII show dips in CO2 levels/and temps due to so many of us dying). But really, do the UK government think we can stop what is a naturally occuring event. The dinosaurs lived when it was around 10c warmer on this planet... Only good thing then was the fact nothing was cutting down the trees.......

that's the main issue..... the more CO2 goes up in the air, the trees get more "food" and grow bigger and spread... in natures way anyway.... However we chop them all the time.

I dunno if anyone seen about the permafrost ice, and methane issues in North East Russia... was on BBC news the other weeks where basically all the water in the soil is melting causing the whole area turn into marsh, but its also releasing methane (one of THE worse green house gases) at almost triple the normal rate, due to decomposing of remains of mammoths and plant life that had been frozen for millions of years.. This sort of run away effect is the most worrying part... But we cant stop it, we can reduce it maybe, but its started.
                    From Adam Webb

Comment

Originally posted by Overlag View Post
                      But really, do the UK government think we can stop what is a naturally occuring event.
                      No, they (and many other governments and organizations) believe that we can lessen the impact that climate change has on the planet, it's population and the economy of that population. Further, what the Simon report is saying is that the costs of reducing emissions will far outweigh the potential costs of doing nothing.

The only logical argument against this is that nothing is guaranteed - that the costs involved with reducing greenhouse gas emissions will far exceed the damage that climate change will cause to the world's economy. While I see the logic in this argument, and realize the gamble at stake, I personally believe that the cautionary course is the best course, especially when you factor in the current state of mankind's impact on the Earth's ecosystems - it is too great.

Humankind must reduce its footprint at some point or another. We alone are the stewards of this planet. We should be taking better care of it, and ourselves, so as to preserve it for as long as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Overlag View Post
                        I dunno if anyone seen about the permafrost ice, and methane issues in North East Russia... was on BBC news the other weeks where basically all the water in the soil is melting causing the whole area turn into marsh, but its also releasing methane (one of THE worse green house gases) at almost triple the normal rate, due to decomposing of remains of mammoths and plant life that had been frozen for millions of years.. This sort of run away effect is the most worrying part... But we cant stop it, we can reduce it maybe, but its started.
                        Wow that would suck to light up a smoke and blow up Siberia.

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post
                          Humankind must reduce its footprint at some point or another.
                          I disagree. I think we should steadily increase our footprint until we create Trantor. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post
                            The only logical argument against this is that nothing is guaranteed - that the costs involved with reducing greenhouse gas emissions will far exceed the damage that climate change will cause to the world's economy.
                            Really? That's the only logical argument?

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
                              Really? That's the only logical argument?
                              It's the only logical argument against the hypothesis that the costs of reducing atmospheric emissions will far outweigh the potential costs of doing nothing.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X