What is a Standing Army?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a Standing Army?

Ok, whoever said that Hezballah was not a Standing Army is wrong. There's undeniable proof that they are fully funded by Iran, which is a Nation. As for Hamas, technically the US funded them before they became political. We gave billions in humanitarian aid to Palistine to keep the government running. That aid funded more then a few years of constain bloodshed and we would be naive to think part of that aid didn't go to Hamas. Now that they are part of the political process, they are now funded by thier own nation and are a standing army. So, going back to the thread about suicide bombing tactic. Standing armies do use it. Cope with it, and just don't use it, Per Admin Ruling.
    sigpic

Re: What is a Standing Army?

Hezbollah is a militia of sorts, NOT a standing army. Hamas might now have a standing army, but they were only a militia before they won the elections in Palestine. The rest of your post sounds pretty far fetched... I understand that humanitarian aid can end up the hands of our enemies, but to say that the USA funded Hamas is a stretch, from what I know.

I assume that this started in the BF forums, and I'm glad to see that it was moved here. I can't think of a single regular army that promotes suicide bombing. It's just not logical to have a trained, professional soldier do such a thing.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Japan? Iran, in the Iran-Iraq War, used suicide brigades. NVA and VC sappers could have been considered suicide troops. The Viet-Minh deployed 'death volunteers' armed with explosives. Sappers from most any country which has engaged in war in the age of modern explosives could be considered suicide troops under the right circumstances.
      Last edited by Nikolas; 10-31-2006, 09:12 AM.
      A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

The orcs used the tactic in The Two Towers to blow a hole in the wall at whatchamajigger...you know the big fortress. BLAMMO!

Comment

And as Han Solo noted, attacking that battle station sounded like suicide.
          In game handle: Steel Scion
          sigpic

Comment

I knowingly sent several pawns to their death once so I could capture my opponents queen. I regretted having to do it, and I saluted each and every one of them as they were placed next to the board.

God bless you suicide pawns, god bless you.

Comment

I sit corrected.
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

The definition of standing army has nothing to do with who funds them. A standing army is the army of a nation. Period. Lebanon has a standing army and Iran has a standing army, and Hezballah arent them. While Hezballah is a military force, it is not a standing army which is a specific term. The US has funded military forces in proxy wars for decades. However, those forces are not the standing army of the US. I'm not debating the use of suicide tactics, just the usage of the word standing army.
                -33rd- BaneII
                Smokers & Jokers

Comment

Originally posted by BaneII View Post
                  The definition of standing army has nothing to do with who funds them. A standing army is the army of a nation. Period. Lebanon has a standing army and Iran has a standing army, and Hezballah arent them. While Hezballah is a military force, it is not a standing army which is a specific term. The US has funded military forces in proxy wars for decades. However, those forces are not the standing army of the US. I'm not debating the use of suicide tactics, just the usage of the word standing army.
                  In that case, let's just boil it down even further. It has nothing to do with who funds them, or whether they're the army of a nation, but rather whether or not they're a full time, professional army.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_army
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Yes, I think the term Standing Army is only relevant to distinguish between a paid, regularly trained professional force loyal to a single consistent command and irregular groups such as reserves, militias, mercenaries and conscripts. Groups such as Hamas are not really standing armies in the way we think of them. Rather they are loosely-federated forces with state backers but a decentralized command.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler View Post
                      Groups such as Hamas are not really standing armies in the way we think of them. Rather they are loosely-federated forces with state backers but a decentralized command.
                      More importantly, they are not professionals, but rather politically motivated.
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Well, mercenaries are professionals, but they are not standing either.
                        sigpic

Comment

I think of it like the orcs in the Lord of the Rings. That's a standing army baby! Contrariwise, the grumpy gumperton animals in The Chronicle of Narnia are more analogous to these irregular units like Hamas and Hezbollah. They have day jobs.

Han Solo of course walked the line between the two forms of soldering. In Star Wars, he was an irregular - a dude fighting the good fight sans uniform or clear chain of command. But at the beginning of The Empire Strikes Back he was a member of a standing army - "General Solo".

I guess mercenaries would be like Aragorn's rangers. Or the jedi. Man I gotta bail. Can't keep this up.

Comment

Why not?
                            A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

True. That's why I originally defined it as a full time, professional army. I believe that an individual or NGO could conceivably have their own standing army. I don't think that it's a requirement that it be state-sponsored.
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X