Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting story in the NYT on calorie restriction

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/31/he...in&oref=slogin

This isn't exactly new news, as I recall hearing about the benefits of calorie restriction (specifically longer life and significantly improved health/vitality) a few years ago, and my brother and sister have their dog on a calorie restricted diet. But the images showing the differences between the regular diets and restricted diets are pretty dramatic... particularly the graphic of the human equivalent diet with the vegan dude's diet and a 'normal diet' (which isn't too far from my typical diet).

Still, I think I'd rather exercise more and eat a little more tasty food than live 10 years longer eating tofu and kale. A life with no BBQ isn't a life I want to live. :icon_cool
    Beatnik

Re: Interesting story in the NYT on calorie restriction

Kewl story. I was at a weight that started causing a double chin. And you know, most of the girls interested in guys with double chins have double chins themselves. I read the hackers diet.
    http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/
    All about the calories. Changed my life.
    I created my own diet.
    I eat a very small breakfast. Half a bowl of fiberone cereal. For lunch I eat literally whatever and however much I want. And for dinner I have a smoothie I make at home with fruit I freeze. Or I juice raw vegetables. I usually stay below 2000 calories a day. I bike 35 miles a week. No more double chin.

Comment

Good read indeed, I have adopted some of these protocols with regards to eating less foods that contain empty calories.

Just eating nutrient dense chow alone would be awesome for America's health.

"But many experts are unsettled by the prospect, however unlikely, of Americans adopting a draconian diet in hopes of living longer."

This quote is funny. What I call draconian is going to a buffet like restaurant and sticking it to the place of business by engorging your self. “All you can't, Ha, you'll pay for that Golden Corral, you'll pay dearly." "$12 Dollars, all you can eat, Haha, I'll get $40 Dollars out of you easy." More laughter.

“Calorie restriction is doomed to fail, and will make people miserable in the process of attempting it,” said Dr. Jay Phelan, an evolutionary biologist at the University of California, Los Angeles, and a co-author of the paper. “We do see benefits, but not an increase in life span.”

Bah, We are talking about a 30% reduction of calories, 7/10 Americans need that. We are also talking nutrient dense chow, antioxidants baby. {Granted sticking with this for weeks and weeks will burn you out as any eating plan that your not used to} For that reason I advocate 0 restrictions on a eating plan. Have a couple of free days during the week.

"Besides, he added, there is virtually no chance Americans will adopt such a severe menu plan in great numbers."

Good call, America will just continue and continue to bring about Type two Diabetes in younger and younger ages. {Brought on by the cells in the organ just getting overworked from the loads and loads of sugar and garbage we consume}

It does not have to be severe; adopting some of these protocols would be great for you.

“Have you ever tried to go without food for a day?” Dr. Phelan asked. “I did it once, because I was curious about what the mice in my lab experienced, and I couldn’t even function at the end of the day.”

Not talking about fasting, 30% calorie reductions, nutrient dense chow.

"While cell death is hardwired into every organism’s DNA, much of the infirmity that comes with advancing years is from an accumulation of molecular insults that, experts contend, may to some degree be prevented, even reversed."

Best quote.

The idea here is that digestion chow takes an amazing amount of energy. Think about it. In fact roughly 2/3rds of the energy you burn is form just keeping your body at a rested state (heart beating, organs working, etc) 1/3 is from musculoskeletal movement.

Well, you go over to Golden Corral and eat 2,000 calories in one sitting you are going to put a tremendous amount of work on your digestive system.

The take away point here is that when the body does work the energy conversion process is not perfect so heat is released and with it free radicals.
      Free radicals oxidizes cell parts causing damage.
      Every time ones D.N.A. divides with cellular mitosis, the cell that is created from the first one is not 100% the same. These imperfections is what causes aging. Free radicals accerlaete such imperfections.

Indeed, Cellular tumors are cells that have lost their ability to die!! Some were along the many cellular divisions one cell was made without the ability to self terminate. If this cell is allowed to live (poor Immune system) then it will divide and divide accumulate in the organ causing problems.

This diet in the article focuses on this by

A. Restricting calories consumption = less wear and tear on the body (particular the G.I. tract organs )
      B. Consumes antioxidant and nutrient dense foods to take care of the free radicals that come about with movement and eating chow.
      (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
      (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
      (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
      Squad Leader pledge to their team:
      Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

We all go out one way or another.

While we all want to have the best lives and the best health while we're here, there's no way I'm going to look like the guy in that picture just to add a couple of fictional years to my life. Six feet and 135lbs? On the other hand, if your idea of fun involves a lot of food and eating heartily (or more than heartily), then by all means have at it. Ya gotta have fun while you're here.
        A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Good post, Beatnik.

Tybalt, you make a really good point in that the purpose of life is to have fun and depriving ones self of extravagance tends to make for a boring life (see the late Richard Pryor and John Belushi).

However, as we learn more about sustaining healthy bodies and minds, we must learn to treat those extravances for what they are - rewards that should be taken in healthy moderation. Diet has a tremendous impact on one's health and overall enjoyment of life. You may live it up eating burgers and fries every day for your first 40 years, but you'll suffer for your last 20 - and there's no fun in that.

Comment

I'll just drink embryonic stem cell smoothies for my last 85 years and live to be 150.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo View Post
              I'll just drink embryonic stem cell smoothies for my last 85 years and live to be 150.

OHHH, noooo.

Noo.

My philosophy is do what you feel like.

If you feel like counting calories with a scale, and enjoy life because of it, more power to you.

If you feel like eating what ever when ever, and enjoy life because of it, more power to you.

Here is were it gets dicey.

Being a frugal guy, and the fact that Social Secrity is going bye-bye.

I believe there should be rewards for those who have good health. Such as tax breaks. (I'd have to work this out on a good plan)

Note, the people who chose to eat bad and have bad health will not be punsihed with extra taxes and such. Sure they will make everyones health insurance go up and take thousands of dollars out of medicare each year, but again, no penilties.

Hopefully this tactic will get others in interested in improving their health.
              In the long run tax payers will save money because people are beign more proactive with their health by being more healthy, thus a less of a drain on health care.

So it is like this:

The government loses money on not getting as much taxes on healthy people in the present.

But they get it back and more by not spending money on unhealthy people in the future.

Note: this will never happen because the food industry would lobby against it.
              Last edited by Rick_the_new_guy; 11-01-2006, 12:04 PM.
              (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
              (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
              (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
              Squad Leader pledge to their team:
              Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post
                Tybalt, you make a really good point in that the purpose of life is to have fun and depriving ones self of extravagance tends to make for a boring life (see the late Richard Pryor and John Belushi).

However, as we learn more about sustaining healthy bodies and minds, we must learn to treat those extravances for what they are - rewards that should be taken in healthy moderation. Diet has a tremendous impact on one's health and overall enjoyment of life. You may live it up eating burgers and fries every day for your first 40 years, but you'll suffer for your last 20 - and there's no fun in that.
                That's not your call to make, is the point.
                A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Tybalt's got a point here. You're gonna die. The healthiest person in the world could be hit by a bus tomorrow or could have a small airplane crash into her apartment. In the long run, chance and luck have a huge influence on how long someone lives, and while it's good to live sensibily and look both ways before crossing the street, you shouldn't avoid the street altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo View Post

:icon_lol: oh mannnnn :icon_lol: <sniffle>

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
                      We all go out one way or another.

While we all want to have the best lives and the best health while we're here, there's no way I'm going to look like the guy in that picture just to add a couple of fictional years to my life. Six feet and 135lbs? On the other hand, if your idea of fun involves a lot of food and eating heartily (or more than heartily), then by all means have at it. Ya gotta have fun while you're here.
                      This is right on.

Look at that guy. I know my fat ass isn't in very good shape, but I could break that guy in two. Almost literally. I can't imagine very many physical confrontations where he would emerge the victor. He's just not what I would picture when thinking about a healthy male human.

There's more to life than living long.
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X