Grocery Store Charity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grocery Store Charity

Today at the grocery store as I went through the checkout the clerk asked me: "Would you like to donate $2 to blah blah blah" (some charity, can't remember which). This is perhaps the fifth time I've gotten this kind of question while paying for my food. The charity is different every time and this happens at both of the major supermarkets in my area. I left the store somewhat peeved. I feel that if a charity is worth my time/money I will pursue it on my own. Getting prompted for a donation out of the blue makes me feel like I'm getting hustled when I'm only there to buy some food.

This made me curious and I wonder if asking for donations is common at grocery stores in other places. Has this situation ever happened to you? Should I complain to the manager or am I making something out of nothing?

Re: Grocery Store Charity

"Would you like to give me $2 off my bill?"

Comment

A simple "no thank you" should let you get out of there with your food. I don't think the cashiers care if you say no or not. It would be annoying if they blabbed for a few minutes about some random charity. I don't really care that much if they ask. I'll say yes if it seems worthwhile and no if it isn't. It's only $2 so no big deal. I suppose you're peeved because it's similar to getting a phone call about some charity. It's annoying to be disturbed at home and it can be annoying when you're buying groceries. If it really bothers you, I think you have the right to complain to the manager. The manager wants your grocery buying experience to be enjoyable so they'll hear you out.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Well I can relate because odds are it isn't as if you'd been standing in the briskly-moving efficiently-operating line for a few moments when this question comes along. If it's anything like the stores I see, you're standing in a row of 16 cash registers, two of which are operating with long lines leading to each, the person in front of you wants the pack of smokes that the manager has to waddle over and fetch, two people in front of you the cashier ran out of 5's so that was a delay, etc. etc.

And then this blank face mumbles "wawwa wawwa wa $2?"

But yes, Sarc, "no thank you" is probably the best answer other than "yes please!" :)

Comment

Leejo, you're killing me.. *gigglefit*

And no, you guys aren't alone- I just today got asked by the cashier AND some guy with a table outside to donate for two totally different things.

Comment

Did anyone else picture the empty water tanks from "My Blue Heaven"?

It's not just grocery stores - I've been hit up in PetCos and fabric stores. You also see them a lot in rural Dairy Queens for some reason.

Comment

They don't hit us up at grocery stores at all here in Colorado. At the gas stations and convenience they do, however. I'm not sure about those type of donations, but the little buckets they have next to registers actually contribute a very small percentage (5-10%) of the takings to the charity. The schmoe that picks up the change every week pockets the rest.
              New to TG?

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
                Well I can relate because odds are it isn't as if you'd been standing in the briskly-moving efficiently-operating line for a few moments when this question comes along. If it's anything like the stores I see, you're standing in a row of 16 cash registers, two of which are operating with long lines leading to each, the person in front of you wants the pack of smokes that the manager has to waddle over and fetch, two people in front of you the cashier ran out of 5's so that was a delay, etc. etc.

And then this blank face mumbles "wawwa wawwa wa $2?"

But yes, Sarc, "no thank you" is probably the best answer other than "yes please!" :)
                LOL :icon_lol:

I'm beginning to think that this is a new trend. Gas stations and other retail stores? That's getting horrible. It's almost as if you can't leave your home without being begged for money. I guess charities are getting sick of being hung up on over the phone. That's what happens when we've had to deal with a crap load of other telemarketing calls.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

no i think you should complain. its not fair to show someone up in public the cashier may not care but there may be other people standing in line with you and you saying no to feed africa or cancer research may make you look tight fisted and show you up...

put the box there... do not shake it just leave it there. that will do... i hate when people ask... i am tight fisted i put my hand in my pocket when i see the charity guys out on the street and i hold my change so it doesnt make any noise....

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
                    "Would you like to give me $2 off my bill?"
                    :icon_lol: I will try that one next time.

Originally posted by DudeMan
                    its not fair to show someone up in public the cashier may not care but there may be other people standing in line with you and you saying no to feed africa or cancer research may make you look tight fisted and show you up.
                    That's the real problem isn't it (other than the annoyance factor). No doubt the cashier has zero influence on the charity request so I don't want to be too snappy in response.

It's interesting to see that most other places do this. I guess it doesn't hurt businesses that participate.

Comment

I doubt that anyone cares how someone in line answers. We're all hit from all sides all the time.

The fact that these businesses are helping charities out is a good thing, I think. It's a minor hassle on a long day after a long line an a store I don't want to be in, maybe, but here's to businesses helping out non-profits in any form, small or large, as we all should.

Comment

Originally posted by DudeMan
                        i am tight fisted i put my hand in my pocket when i see the charity guys out on the street and i hold my change so it doesnt make any noise....
                        I'm like RandomGuy. If I want to donate to a worthy cause, I'll go look for the cause and donate. I'm a Life Member of the NRA, I contribute semi-regularly (when they don't piss me off by associating with terrorist groups) to Greenpeace and I always donate to Toys for Tots and a local co-op of churches (yes, me, the atheist) that run winter shelters.

I'm also an *******. If the guys standing in front of stores are too aggressive, I'll put my hand in my pocket and shake my change so they can hear it. Then let them try that crap with me. I see them harrass so many people that are too weak willed or ashamed to tell them no, that it is satisfying to put them in their place. If they're real jerks to someone ahead of me, I'll pull out a 5 dollar bill and as I walk up to them I'll tell them that I just remembered that there's a Starbucks around the corner and ask them if they can spare 35 cents for the tax on my $5 coffee. One time in San Diego, I happened to have my Combined Federal Campaign booklet in my car when a particularly nasty person from some youth advocacy group that was promoting homosexuality among children was sitting in front of a grocery store begging. He was very pushy and would yell things after people that declined to donate. I went back out to my car, got my CFC book and wrote up a little sign that said, "29.8% of your donation will NOT go towards this cause!" and I just stood next to him and said nothing. Several people asked me how I knew this, so I showed 'em my CFC book and they started telling the guy that he should be ashamed of himself... The guy called it a day not long after that...

Bottom line, is that you have the right to tell people if you're annoyed by their actions. If you don't like being asked by a cashier to donate money, then by all means, tell the manager. If you are treated with rudeness by people asking for money, then don't be afraid to return the favor.
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

He He He.. Nice.. I woulda love to have been there to see that..

Comment

i think the bottom line has to be shop all your groceries online. its easier and you dont have to stand in a bugger long cue... thats what i do,.

get it delivered when i want it too.

secretly we will strive to put all cashiers out of buisness... mu ha ha ha h ah aha ha

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                              One time in San Diego, I happened to have my Combined Federal Campaign booklet in my car when a particularly nasty person from some youth advocacy group that was promoting homosexuality among children was sitting in front of a grocery store begging.

....Several people asked me how I knew this, so I showed 'em my CFC book and they started telling the guy that he should be ashamed of himself...
                              He can document any assertion, and denounce any position with authority! It's Manual Man!

Created in a secret lab in Los Alamos, the government blended the DNA of the most anal accountant and the most eccentric librarian to fulfill the dream of beaurecrats everywhere: A man...nay...a HERO with more words than the OED and more pages than the OMB at his very fingertips..Manual Man!
                              Last edited by leejo; 04-19-2004, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X