Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Political parties advertising via cell phone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Political parties advertising via cell phone?

Hey guys. Over the course of the last few weeks, I have endured calls on my personal cell phone from several political parties. It has dealt with positions ranging from Governor to MN House of Reps. to the MN U.S. Senate spot. I have received probably 6 or 7 calls.

The funny thing is if I miss the phone call (or ignore it, what I've been doing lately) they will keep calling several times each day until I do answer. The ads will either be live-person or a recording, but they all generally have the same format: they will first attack the person they are running against and will be followed with a nice little blurb about their party's candidate.

How in the hell do they all get my cell phone number? Is anyone else getting this? Maybe they should take the time to realize that now I really don't even feel like voting because of their seemingly harrassing tactics. What they've managed to do is make me despise each and every one of the political parties. GOP, democrats, it doesn't matter they've all called. The only party that hasn't called yet is the freakin' Italian Fascist party.

It's frusterating because now I have to have my cell phone number switched... Money out of my pocket just to hear an ad that would be better replaced with actual research on my part allowing me to make an informed decision on who to vote for. I could rant about this all day... But I gotta take this call.
    Last edited by whistler; 11-02-2006, 03:47 PM.

Re: Political parties advertising via cell phone?

Sue em!

I got one the other night and just hung up...
    Battlefield Admin() ()
    [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
    [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
    | for | |

Comment

:madsmile:
      Originally posted by perry View Post
      Sue em!

I got one the other night and just hung up...

i would do the same as i always do with the telemarketing people... when they say hello and tell me who they are i just say **** off you bunch of tarts..... (add for this context) phone me again i am not voting for you.

and i do actually swearat them... makes me feel a hell of alot better.....

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

I just don't answer calls from numbers I don't recognize. If they need to talk to me, they'll leave a message.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo View Post
          I just don't answer calls from numbers I don't recognize. If they need to talk to me, they'll leave a message.

trust me leejo, just do it once, get a telemarketing guy and scream at him, call his mum names, be a complete jerk, and they either hang up or you get tired and hang up.... but its damned funny... just make sure your not in public when you do it...

we have, or used to have so many telemarketing calls, everyday 5 between 4-7pm so as a family, we took turns to be as abrupt and rude as possible in the hope that we just go on someones black list. when you work on commission, why would you bother phoning a number that repeatedly tells you to f**k off...

or just do it for poops and giggles..... he he./.. :row__631:

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

I used to work for a company who did a lot of outbound telemarketing. They're kids mostly, and it's a miserable job. And they often aren't working on commission but for about a pizza an hour.

I know it's frustrating to get the calls but all the people I've known who did that job were trying to get out of it as quickly as possible because it sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo View Post
              I used to work for a company who did a lot of outbound telemarketing. They're kids mostly, and it's a miserable job. And they often aren't working on commission but for about a pizza an hour.

I know it's frustrating to get the calls but all the people I've known who did that job were trying to get out of it as quickly as possible because it sucks.
              Hear Hear... $5.50 an hour before taxes(minimum wage in Georgia is $5.15) to get people to hang up on you, yell at you, curse at you, tell you to hold on and just leave the phone sit (we had a company policy against hanging up on calls... even those). And I wasn't even selling anything. I was working for a Health Insurance company calling their customers to do satisfaction surveys... I wasn't selling anything. I ended up sticking with it for five months (the more surveys you did per month, the more you got paid, and I was up to $7.50 when I quit) but quit when senior year started and I didn't want to deal with class all day and a-holes all night.
              --------

Zephyr: Besides Wyzcrak and his godly voice; the kind of voice that you will expect to say "Zephyr, I need you to build an ark at Marine Start, with room for two of every structure so that I may turret spam for 40 days and 40 nights" that is.

Squeak:Sometimes I'm awed by zibs genius. Then I remember he's Canadian and I feel significantly less threatened.

Comment

oooh yeah we are the A holes... oh my heart is bleeding, i have a 12 hour a day job, and university 4 days per week, as well as countless hours of reading in the mean time, and some jerkoff is phoning me up in my spare time when i want to kick back with a beer or a coke and is surprised when i am a little annoyed at the fact i am being phoned to be sold something i dont really need. i am phoned often for credit cards, life insurance, mobile phone contracts.... and i am supposed to consider the persons feelings on the other end of the line... ha....:madsmile:

firstly if they are not on commision, then they are being paid whether i swear at them or not, so its win win as far as im concerned, i tell them what i think of them disturbing me every single day, and they get their wages anyway. of course along that line of logic they are better off, i cant do anything about their wages, but i am still being disturbed, but they are at least being paid for this.

so please excuse me for not caring if the poor tele-marketing guy on the other endof the line doesnt grow a thick skin fast in a job like that. :row__642:
                tele-marketing is just junk mail for the phone.... nothing more....:row__593:

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Originally posted by Keres View Post
                  Hear Hear... $5.50 an hour before taxes(minimum wage in Georgia is $5.15) to get people to hang up on you, yell at you, curse at you, tell you to hold on and just leave the phone sit (we had a company policy against hanging up on calls... even those). And I wasn't even selling anything.
                  Telemarketers are paid twice to three times minimum wage. You were screwed...
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Republicans reportedly using fake automated calls to discourage potential Democratic voters.
                    In game handle: Steel Scion
                    sigpic

Comment

They are now doing this in my backyard, Bergen county, for the Menendez/Kean race. The call starts out as a "message from the Menendez campaign." If you hang up your number goes back on auto-dial. If you listen all the way through it starts dropping a bunch of lies about Menendez's record (and they are lies, btw. Kean's campaign has been embarassingly negative and fraudulent) then ends with a quick RNCC credit. Really disgusting.
                      In game handle: Steel Scion
                      sigpic

Comment

Oh yeah, I've gotten 2 today and got 4 others over the weekend on my cell #. The amazing thing is we just changed cell providers and I've had this # for maybe a week. Obviously it is a re-used number. If I don't recognize the # I just let it ring and in every case a voicemail has been left. Hell, the two today were messages from Rush Limbaugh and John McCain.

Maybe I'm just sensitized to it but the junk political mail has increased a ton this election. When we went to get mail last Friday 9 of the 11 pieces of mail were political pieces.

Comment

Just remember to vote everyone! Republicans vote tomorrow and Democrats vote Wednesday. Vote! :D

Comment

What really irks me is most of the calls are from the party I vote anyway. I'd rather not have to spend minutes checking my voice mail to see if something relevant is there. All these calls have done is piss me off.

Do they seriously think they can sway votes this way?

Comment

Wow, I thought it was bad enough to get inundated with television ads. I don't even want to watch anything on tv anymore, it's just one right after the other, it's almost absurd. Thank god no one's called my cell yet.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X