Voting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voting

So, I voted yesterday. I was wondering what other states have early voting...

We used the ESS voting machine. I thought it was quite simple and the people helping out explained it thoroughly before we voted. While I was there, though, one elderly gentleman forgot to confirm his vote (you have to push a big flashing red button after you review your ballot choices), and left before the voting admin could remind him of the process. She couldn't find him and was forced to reject his ballot.

The only national offices up for grab was for Senator and Representative, and I don't think that Senator Hutchinson is in any danger of losing her seat. My Representative right now is Congressman Chet Edwards (d) and he's being challenged by a Republican, Van Taylor. They're both fairly hard on illegal immigration and both support the second amendment, so I felt lucky that I was able to cast my vote for the better of two candidates instead of the lesser of two evils!

The interesting race in Texas this year is for Governor. I think that Governor Rick Perry (r) will stay there, but he's being challenged by two strong Independents and a weak Democrat. Very interesting.

Something that I really dislike about Texas is the ability to vote "straight ticket". That's actually the first thing you can choose, to vote all Republican, all Democrat, or all Libertarian. I think that this sort of choice encourages ignorance and promotes keeping the Democrats and Republicans in power. Horrible, IMO. I was also wondering what other states allowed this...
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: Voting

Missouri and Oklahoma allow it.
    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Rincewind View Post
      Missouri and Oklahoma allow it.
      Allow early voting, or straight ticket voting? Or both?
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
        Allow early voting, or straight ticket voting? Or both?
        Yes. :D But the early voting is the same as every other state that allows it: through absentee ballots :P
        ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
        No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Arizona, mailed it in.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

We have early voting here, I voted absentee though.

Comment

I have never understood the whole concept of voting straight ticket except it allows intellectualy lazy people to vote.

I have to admit I did this when I was young and stupid. Republican no less!! Of course I was out to sea and had no idea what was going on at home so my votes would have been based on ignorance at any rate. Which is why I am always curious about the military vote in the elections.
              Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

FL and NC also have straight ticket voting. IIRC, just about every state does.
                Beatnik

Comment

Washington State only has voting by mail, and I think Oregon has been doing it for a while, too.
                  ---
                  Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

Originally posted by Beatnik View Post
                    FL and NC also have straight ticket voting. IIRC, just about every state does.
                    I can't find anything that puts it in a nice list, but most of the articles that I'm finding about straight ticket voting say that most states don't have it.

I know that California doesn't have it, and I've only voted in Cali and Tejas.

Ah, THIS says that only 17 states have straight ticket voting...
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

I think the Texas voting Ballot is something like:

[ ] Republican

[ ] The other guy who lost.

This state is so red, I feel like I'm watching "The Hobbit."

Comment

Laff. One party to rule them all.
                        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X