More chemical weapons in Jordan?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More chemical weapons in Jordan?

From that notorious conservative drum-beater...

PBS Newhour

where'd those wmds come from, hmm?

April 20, 2004, 12pm EDT
    JORDAN POLICE KILL MILITANTS SUSPECTED IN CHEMICAL BOMB PLOT

Jordanian security forces killed three militants Tuesday believed to have planned to detonate a powerful chemical bomb in the capital Amman, security officials said.

Online NewsHour Special Reports:
    Middle East

Working on a tip, police stormed a hideout in east Amman where the suspects had been hiding, the police said in a statement carried by the official Petra news agency, according to the Associated Press.

The militants -- one Jordanian and two foreigners -- were killed after they refused to surrender and opened fire on police in the predominantly Palestinian district of Hashemi.

Witnesses said paramilitary police surrounded the area and cordoned off streets near the house after the shootout, Reuters reported.

Security officials who spoke to wire services on condition of anonymity said the three killed were suspected of having ties to a terrorist group planning to attack the prime minister's office and Jordan's secret service with a chemical bomb last month, a plot that was revealed last week.

Had the bomb exploded, it could have killed at least 20,000 people and leveled buildings within a half-mile radius, government officials have said.

The clash was the most serious since the authorities cracked down this month on a militant group accused of planning attacks on the U.S. Embassy and other government installations, security sources said.

Since the bombing and chemical plots were revealed, police have arrested an unspecified number of suspects and seized at least three cars filled with explosives and detonators.

Jordan, a moderate Arab nation that has supported Washington's efforts to pacify post-war Iraq, has been targeted by Osama bin Laden's terrorist network al-Qaida and other militant Islamic groups.

-- Compiled from wire reports and other media source

Re: More chemical weapons in Jordan?

Those pesky Iraqis, they are to blame for this too
    http://www.voanews.com/article.cfm?o...29B6500D979373

aren't we supposed to be helping the kurds?

Hang on, it's not about the nations, it's about individuals.

Comment

hmm, it is a little sad to see a kurd in there.

I don't know that I'd connect a Manchester fertilizer bomb to Iraq, but I am definitely curious to know where chemical weapons in Jordan originated.

Comment

Alcolac was one of a handful of corporations prosecuted by the U.S. Justice Department for illegal exports. Although Alcolac allegedly supplied its mustard-gas ingredient to Iraq and Iran, the Justice Department indicted the company in 1988 only for its illegal exports to Iran, via a German company, Chemco. A Chemco executive, who arranged the sales, was convicted of violating export laws. Alcolac’s chemicals allegedly made their way to Iraq through Nu Kraft Mercantile Corp., via Jordan (my emphasis). In 1989, Alcolac pleaded guilty to one count of violating U.S. export laws.
        http://www.laweekly.com/ink/03/18/features-crogan1.php

I don't understand why Iraqi kurds would be involved in terrorists attacks on the UK, that doesn't make sense at all does it?
        Jex.

Comment

Originally posted by jex
          http://www.laweekly.com/ink/03/18/features-crogan1.php

I don't understand why Iraqi kurds would be involved in terrorists attacks on the UK, that doesn't make sense at all does it?
          Makes a whole bunch of sense when you realize that these terrorists are a tiny minority of muslims. There's a reason why we call them extremists. Political boundaries mean very little to them. They hate western nations and are willing to do just about anything to try to destroy us. They're flooding into Iraq from lots of different countries to fight against our soldiers and to try to raise the populace against us. They fear freedom and independent thought. Kurd, Syrian, Saudi, Afghani, Jordanian, Palestinian, it doesn't matter.... They're not necessarily associated with their country in any way. They're just scumbag terrorists that need to be taken care of...
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

No I mean why would Kurds be attacking us since they no longer have saddam breathing down their necks? The Kurds owe the iraqi's nothing - why on earth would they want to help after the way they were treated?
            Jex.

Comment

Originally posted by jex
              No I mean why would Kurds be attacking us since they no longer have saddam breathing down their necks? The Kurds owe the iraqi's nothing - why on earth would they want to help after the way they were treated?
              And I'm telling you that the fact that these individuals are Kurdish is insignificant... Quit thinking of them as "Kurds" and start realizing that they are "extremist individuals". The Kurdish community isn't attacking, it's just a few individuals who happened to be Kurdish.
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Well you know, Cing, "those people" are pretty tribal.

Comment

Originally posted by Benny_
                  Hang on, it's not about the nations, it's about individuals.
                  Damn me and my non-offensive posting......wahey, Cing and I agree.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X