New York Plans to Make Gender Personal Choice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York Plans to Make Gender Personal Choice

Separating anatomy from what it means to be a man or a woman, New York City is moving forward with a plan to let people alter the sex on their birth certificate even if they have not had sex-change surgery.

It's every man's right to have babies if he wants them.
    It is symbolic of our struggle against oppression.

Re: New York Plans to Make Gender Personal Choice

FRANCIS: Why are you always on about women, Stan?
    STAN: I want to be one.
    REG: What?
    STAN: I want to be a woman. From now on, I want you all to call me 'Loretta'.
    REG: What?!
    LORETTA: It's my right as a man.
    In game handle: Steel Scion
    sigpic

Comment

Nice to see the lawmakers are putting their time and skills to good use. Without such important legislation to write, they might end up wasting their time producing trivial stuff, like sensible crime, education and healthcare legislation.
      BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

I LOVE the way they switch the script from STAN to LORETTA at that point. I have had the Life of Brian book since I was a kid.

And yes, I think it's great the every man (or woman) can choose what he (or she) has on his (or her) offical documents for gender. What could be more important in the world?

LORETTA: I want to have babies!
        Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

What difference does it make? Really, stop making an issue out of this. It IS a personal choice as to whether one chooses to recognize themselves as mis-gendered or transgendered. Gender has more to do with physical anatomy.

I agree that it's ridiculous to politicize it, but this legislation is reactionary. Who started this debate in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post
            What difference does it make? Really, stop making an issue out of this. It IS a personal choice as to whether one chooses to recognize themselves as mis-gendered or transgendered. Gender has more to do with physical anatomy.

I agree that it's ridiculous to politicize it, but this legislation is reactionary. Who started this debate in the first place?
            You couldn't be more wrong. One doesn't CHOOSE to be "mis-gendered" or transgendered any more than I made the choice to be a straight male. Just curious, did you make the choice at some point in your life? What pushed you over the edge?

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Fush View Post
              You couldn't be more wrong. One doesn't CHOOSE to be "mis-gendered" or transgendered any more than I made the choice to be a straight male. Just curious, did you make the choice at some point in your life? What pushed you over the edge?
              Guess it's worth asking... Which DNA strand was it again that controls a person's sexuality?

Lucky Shot

Comment

Well, I don't know luckyshot. But I'm certain that if I ever move to NY I'll be changing my birth certificate to "female" so I can use the good bathrooms. If I walk in a men's crapper who's going to stop me? If I see that there's no room in the inn, I'll just stroll into the ladies room and say hola.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo View Post
                  Well, I don't know luckyshot. But I'm certain that if I ever move to NY I'll be changing my birth certificate to "female" so I can use the good bathrooms. If I walk in a men's crapper who's going to stop me? If I see that there's no room in the inn, I'll just stroll into the ladies room and say hola.
                  I can only see problems coming from this.
                  Oyee

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky Shot View Post
                    Guess it's worth asking... Which DNA strand was it again that controls a person's sexuality?
                    It's not so much the DNA code itself, but rather what your DNA is doing. Either it's dancing with other DNA, or looks like it's having a seizure awkwardly off by itself in a corner.

(the above joke is just that: a joke. I'm actually opposed to the idea that sexual preference is controlled by genetics)
                    [squadl]
                    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Like Leejo I support this for the practicality.

Women's Basketball scholarship here I come!

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky Shot View Post

Lucky Shot
                        It's the 9187th strand. Which strand is it that controls skin colour?

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
                        [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
                        Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Fush View Post
                          Re-read what I wrote. I didn't say that being mis-gendered is a personal choice. I said choosing to recognize it or not (in other words, declare to the world how you would like to be classified) is.

Being genetically (or otherwise) inclined towards trans-gendered or homosexual is in fact a genetic condition - genetics which dictate hormone and chemical levels, which dictate brain function, which dictate sexual awareness. To those snickering, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...related_topics
                          http://www.msu.edu/~alliance/faq/faqtransgendered.html
                          http://www.tgcrossroads.org/news/archive.asp?aid=770
                          http://www.genetics-and-society.org/...ives/glbt.html

That said, I still maintain that it is a personal decision to declare one's self belonging to a particular gender, and it is a personal decision to determine how to represent that gender physically.

I've made the choice myself in that I am completely comfortable with my sexuality as a natural male.

The more poignant question here is whether or not I would feel comfortable in today's society if I believed that I really was a genetic female. I think the environment such individuals face today is hostile. Legislation like this may make them feel more comfortable in making such a decision, but I doubt that very much.

Regardless, it's not a joke, and I don't find anyone's jokes in this forum very humorous in the least. You are only displaying a complete ignorance of the human condition.

Comment

You are only displaying a complete ignorance of the human condition.
                            That's what I'll say in the ladies bathroom. "Y'all are just ignorant. 'Scuse me while I whip out my human condition."

Comment

Sorry, I mis-read you. I agree 100%.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed