X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas prices going up?

Monday the price was $1.98.

Today the price is $2.04.

So I comment to the guy behind the counter about the jump. He says get used to it. His supplier is telling him the price is going back up, way up.
    Im not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: Gas prices going up?

If you're complaining about a jump from $1.98 to $2.04, when less than 6 months ago we were looking at $3.00 a gallon, then I don't know what to say to you. I really don't.

I mean, you can find that kind of price difference by driving down the street in most places.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
      If you're complaining about a jump from $1.98 to $2.04, when less than 6 months ago we were looking at $3.00 a gallon, then I don't know what to say to you. I really don't.

I mean, you can find that kind of distance by driving down the street in most places.
      You missed the point. The gas station manager/owner was told by his supplier that the price is going way up.

At any rate six cents jump in two days? They don't fluctuate that much in Oklahoma. This is a station I go to for at least 90% of my gas. It is an idependent station.

And I am not saying it is going up. I am asking if anybody has heard about gas prices increasing. Notice the question mark?

Ohhh, I get it. You must be used to Fox News where a question mark is a hidden statement of dubious nature.
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

We jumped from $2.09 to $2.19 since yesterday. It's probably the start of the usual price jump prior to a holiday.

Comment

Cold Weather + Holiday Traffic = High Fuel Demand = Higher Prices

Thus ends this short lesson in economics.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodMoney View Post
            Cold Weather + Holiday Traffic = High Fuel Demand = Higher Prices

Thus ends this short lesson in economics.
            Oh thank you for the lesson wise one.

But you did get me thinking.

There is no cold weather. Long term forcasts calls for normal to warmer than normal tempatures. (The artic blast of a couple weeks ago didn't affect gas prices that I remember.)

Holiday traffic is two weeks away. The prices started falling during the summer driving months. The busiest driving part of the year. (And we didn't see a big spike during the memorial day driving that I remember.)

Plus I haven't heard about any big change in oil supplier stabilities (Iran, Iraq Venzuala ect). Nor in the futures.

Maybe the guys supplier was wrong.

Comment

Temperatures have dropped, heaters have kicked in, traffic is already building up. Just because it isn't " as cold as it should be" doesn't mean its not already cold enough to drive gas prices up. Slight fluctuations my friend, slight fluctuations is all it takes.

Comment

The election is over now, too. /conspiracy

/fnord
                In game handle: Steel Scion
                sigpic

Comment

OMG it did! It went from 2.15 to 2.19 in the last 3 days here!
                  Oyee

Comment

Driving is for squares.

Comment

its not a conspiract, everyone knows exactly what it was. many politicians were making issue of it all over the place. as soon as major campaigning for the elections started, gas prices mysteriously dropped from over 3.00/gal (highest I saw was 3.27 here in boulder) to less than 2.00/gal (lowest i caught was 1.96 and it only lasted a day) while the price of oil per barrel didnt drop nearly enough to merit such a significant price drop. its politics. the elections are over. hike the prices back up so the comanies can make money again. hope you guys are prepared to go back to the 3.00+ range soon.

Comment

That would make more sense, except that politicians couldn't lower the price of gas if they wanted too. Its simply beyond their power...they can't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                          while the price of oil per barrel didnt drop nearly enough to merit such a significant price drop. its politics. the elections are over. hike the prices back up so the comanies can make money again.
                          que?

There was a significant drop in oil futures during that period that could totally account for the drop at the tank.

Comment

Didn't we spend the last few years being told that oil futures have very little to do with gas prices, and that other factors, like "summer driving" and "refinery regulations" were causing high prices? Prices aren't determined by a magic man in the sky, they are set by suppliers according to whatever internal motives and logic drives them to do so.
                            In game handle: Steel Scion
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler View Post
                              Didn't we spend the last few years being told that oil futures have very little to do with gas prices, and that other factors, like "summer driving" and "refinery regulations" were causing high prices? Prices aren't determined by a magic man in the sky, they are set by suppliers according to whatever internal motives and logic drives them to do so.
                              I don't see any contradiction here, but I do think that oil futures are directly related to the price at the pump and summer driving, etc., are factors that play into the price of oil futures.

There are other factors involved between the pump and the oil future. For example, depending on the time of year refineries will make more or less or a particular type of fuel from the crude. There's time and expense associated with those conversions.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X