Election Process Changes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Election Process Changes?

So, This election seemed to go pretty well. The dems won the house and the senate.

I've been searching for a list of changes made to the election process over the past two years that have resulted in us having this very fair election process in 2006. I haven't been able to find anything comprehensive though. Can anyone help?

I mean, we had to have done SOMETHING major to fix all the election issues we've had in 2004 and 2000, no? I know that some districts in Boston ran out of ballots, but I haven't seen much of anything in the media about it or any partisan watchdogs screaming about how the whole thing was fixed to favor one individual or another. So the running out of ballots in this case must have just been an accident? Someone just miscounted?

I guess we didn't have any hanging chads, and there were no people standing outside the polling locations harrassing voters. No disenfranchisement mentioned either! Not even FOX is screaming foul!

Diebold machines were still in use as well. I guess their security issues were all completely fixed too. If they hadn't been fixed, then we know the republicans would have held the senate at the very least. Thanks to Diebold for fixing their security. At least now we know in 2008 no matter WHO wins, hacked Diebold machines won't be to blame.

I think we should all be VERY appreciative for all the hard work done by our Republican controlled government over the past two years to make sure this election was fair. I can't wait for 2008 knowing that all these voting irregularities have been resolved and there won't be anything for anyone to complain about!
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Re: Election Process Changes?

I used a Diebold machine in my voting. I got the general vibe that folks were using whatever they had to in order to vote, but still weren't thrilled with the concept of receiptless voting.

Diebold may or may not have fixed their issues, but if the only tool you've got to affect your change is a hammer, it makes everything look like a nail. I think they've still got a long way to go to quell voter concerns, even if they've shored up their internal code.
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

In NJ, there were much more heavy restrictions on exit polling and loitering around polling places. But we upgraded to electronic registers back in '96 I think, and haven't had any major issues with the process.

And to be fair, most "voter intimidation" nowadays doesn't consist of poll challenges - it's usually a disinformation campaign in the form of pamphlets and flyers. Republicans vote Tuesday, Democrats vote Wednesday, you must be this tall to enter, there is a NARC waiting in the booth, etc...
      In game handle: Steel Scion
      sigpic

Comment

That's not intimidation, that's an IQ test. If you fail, your vote shouldn't be counted.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo View Post
          ... that's an IQ test. If you fail, your vote shouldn't be counted.
          Funny, I feel the same way about Fox News.
          In game handle: Steel Scion
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler View Post
            And to be fair, most "voter intimidation" nowadays doesn't consist of poll challenges - it's usually a disinformation campaign in the form of pamphlets and flyers. Republicans vote Tuesday, Democrats vote Wednesday, you must be this tall to enter, there is a NARC waiting in the booth, etc...
            OK well the day that 1000s of drug using midgets line up on Wednesday to vote, I'll worry that we have a problem.

Comment

We have one Diebold machine here in Knoxville that was used in early voting, where some 2600 votes are "stuck" inside of it and haven't yet been retrieved or tallied. There's a whole team of experts working on it, but the likely outcome at this point is that those votes are just...gone. There's one rather important ballot initiative that remains undecided, where 2600 votes could swing it either way. It could get ugly.
              [volun]

Comment

I actually heard quite a lot about failed electronic voting machines. Whether or not it was localized to a few districts or was very widespread, I can't say for sure, but I know that it made headlines on CNN. I had also heard some things about voter intimidation, but it could have been a reference to the last election.

Overall though, seems this one ran pretty quietly.
                [squadl]
                "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Yeah it seems that the process of counting the votes themselves has been significantly improved. I think largely 2000 was just a confluence of an outdated format (the aforementioned chad format), old people with bad vision, and

Now if we can move on to electoral college reform (i.e. dropping it), we'll be on the right track! But that's a topic for another thread. ;)
                  Beatnik

Comment

Originally posted by Beatnik View Post
                    Now if we can move on to electoral college reform (i.e. dropping it), we'll be on the right track! But that's a topic for another thread. ;)
                    Nah, that's part of the election process! Why don't you like the electoral college? I see our government becoming more and more centralized and states having less and less power and I'm not sure that's a good thing. I like having the electoral college.
                    Become a supporting member!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Doesn't the electoral college simply serve to distort the will of the people, as evidenced by the vote? I'm not saying that it's malicious, but it does seem to me to distort the mathematics of vote-counting, much like rounding errors can impact mathematics applied elsewhere.

The benefit of the electoral college, it seems to me, is to simplify the vote counting process in a day and age without the heavy automation that we have available to us today. The more computers become available to us, the greater the rationale for disbanding the EC.

Apophis: Aren't you jumping to some fairly big conclusions there? Diebold machines still in use = all security problems have been fixed? What are you driving at - that previous claims of election fraud are bunk, as evidenced by the fact that not many are complaining about this round?

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
                      [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
                      Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

Originally posted by Diceman View Post
                        The benefit of the electoral college, it seems to me, is to simplify the vote counting process in a day and age without the heavy automation that we have available to us today. The more computers become available to us, the greater the rationale for disbanding the EC.
                        So, should we then just get rid of state governments altogether, also? The level of communication and the ability for Washington DC to govern all levels within our nation has never been greater.

No, I think the electoral college recognizes that we're the United STATES of America, and that some things are best left to the states to decide.
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                          So, should we then just get rid of state governments altogether, also? The level of communication and the ability for Washington DC to govern all levels within our nation has never been greater.

No, I think the electoral college recognizes that we're the United STATES of America, and that some things are best left to the states to decide.
                          Whoa there, champ. Who's saying get rid of state governments altogether? I'm not advertising myself as some expert on the EC, just contributing my thoughts on the mathematical consequences of the EC.

Besides presidential elections, what else does the EC do that I'm not aware of...

[ma-c2][taw-c1]

Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Comment

Doesn't matter. It's in the constitution and 3/4ths of the state legislatures or state conventions would have to agree to the change. How likely is that?

Here, California, Florida, New York, Pensylvania, Texas, Illinois, Ohio, Michigan and New Jersey. Tell us what you want. Good idea or bad idea, it seems like a non-starter to me.

Comment

yeah. Still interesting to think about though.

[ma-c2][taw-c1]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X