Which was better?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which was better?

Things have been heating up in the sandbox lately. We've been arguing about such trivial issues about "Where is the country going" and "Gas Prices." But, in this thread, I want to talk about something truely important: Which Conan movie was better? The Barbarian or The Destroyer.

It's a pretty serious question. The original shows the humble beginnings of our wayward hero. But more importantly: James Earl Jones! I mean, come on, he's got to have the most well-known voice in the world. It was rated R. Lot's of blood and gore, nudity, and general violence. Pretty much a grade-A package. JAMES EARL JONES!

Ah, #1 is the obvious choice, you say. Well, for The Destroyer we have Olivia D'abo in as little clothing as they could get away with. Also making an apperance is Wilt Chamberlain with a Mace. The PG-13 rating may be a deciding factor though, but there was still enough violence, gore, and partial nudity to go around. The comedy value was greater and I personally enjoyed the soundtrack more, but NO JAMES EARL JONES!

On an issue as important as this, I could not come to a conclusion on my own. I need the help of our experienced Sandbox staff. So, take time from your pilthy disscussion of Politics both foreign and domestic and give your input on a topic that could affect your future.
    The Barbarian
    80.00%
    The Destroyer
    20.00%

Re: Which was better?

It's been forever and a day since I've seen either of those movies. I do know I love them both though. However, for the sake of argument, I will go rent them both and help with this decision of utmost importance.

I was also a big fan of the comics. Which hands down are the best ever.
    | | |

Comment

Conan O'Brian!
      A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by Atomic Dog View Post
        It's been forever and a day since I've seen either of those movies. I do know I love them both though. However, for the sake of argument, I will go rent them both and help with this decision of utmost importance.
        Aw cmon! It's ten bucks!

I was also a big fan of the comics. Which hands down are the best ever.
        Your red herring is sidestepping the arguement! Stay on topic! This is important.

Comment

My prediction is that Barbarian is the better of the two. Nothing tops nudity AND ultraviolence AND JAMES EARL JONES!!!
          | | |

Comment

Which one had Grace Jones?
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Sorry for the tangent, but Conan has nothing on The Beastmaster ('82).

If I had to vote; Barbarian.
              New to TG?

Comment

Oliver Stone wrote the screenplay for Barbarian. Apparently he's not particularly proud of that. A friend of mine (a known and fairly accomplished bar jerk) tried to ask him about it and promptly got his butt handed to him in a barfight. Good times.
                In game handle: Steel Scion
                sigpic

Comment

Though Destroyer had Olivia D'abo, and scantily dressed at that... the fact that she specifically wasn't nude is more of a flaw in that movie than the lack of nudity overall.

This, however, is made moot as the nudity in Barbarian wasn't Olivia anyway ... so the two cancel each other out.

This leaves only one essential element to differentiate the two movies...

James Earl Jones (who thankfully wasn't nude, another major vote in favor).

Barbarian Wins! :D

Comment

Originally posted by USN_Squid View Post
                    Sorry for the tangent, but Conan has nothing on The Beastmaster ('82).

If I had to vote; Barbarian.
                    Saddam ain't the only one fixin to get hung...

TAKE IT BACK! TAKE IT BACK NOW!

Beastmaster...HA...right...
                    | | |

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                      Which one had Grace Jones?
                      Ugh, The Destroyer. Don't remind me.

Originally posted by Mirfee View Post
                      Though Destroyer had Olivia D'abo, and scantily dressed at that... the fact that she specifically wasn't nude is more of a flaw in that movie than the lack of nudity overall.
                      That was probably because she was 17 when she did that movie. She was a hottie then, and she's a hottie now.

EDIT: HAHA! I added a poll because this is just too important to NOT tally the results.

Comment

You left out Beastmaster. He and his ferrets would pwn Conan.
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Nobody left out Beastmaster because Beastmaster is the pony ride of barbarian movies. Was Beastmaster ever a cyborg sent back from the future to destroy mankind? Was he ever elected governor of ANY state? No, I think not. Now back to Conan and things that really are cool.
                          | | |

Comment

I think I voted for the wrong one...

Stupid butterfly ballots... :(
                            ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                            No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Barbarian by a LOT! (For a great laugh, listen to the commentary on "Barbarian")

If you liked the movies (or comics) you should really check out the novels by Robert E. Howard. There are other Conan books by other authors but ive not read any of them.
                              Also i had heard casual chat about another Conan movie on the way.....though a quick look at IMDB reveals nothing. :(

"Conan, what is best in life?"

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"

"That is good."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X