troy.. the movie.. not the place..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• troy.. the movie.. not the place..

Anybody plan on seeing this movie? I love Greek mythology, but the starring cast has be worried that this is just going to be about the star power and not the story line. If anybody sees it (it opens this friday) post here about what you thought of it.

thanks.

Re: troy.. the movie.. not the place..

Originally posted by _Ender_
    Anybody plan on seeing this movie? I love Greek mythology, but the starring cast has be worried that this is just going to be about the star power and not the story line. If anybody sees it (it opens this friday) post here about what you thought of it.

thanks.
    Well, from the blurb on the website, I think they actually at least READ the Iliad. Of course the thousand ships and the hundreds of thousands of people they show fighting on the trailer are a little overblown. Historically, I don't know that there were even that many men IN Sparta to go to Troy. I think the action & cinematics ought to be decent, but it will be interesting to see if they make Achilles (Brad Pitt) a sympathetic character because he was kind of a ego-maniac bent on rape in the Iliad. Can't see it this weekend (I'm moving) but I'll probably be waiting for video anyway.

Comment

I too love the greek classics (I watched Jason and the Argonouats the other day which I own on DVD - lol I love the skeletons in that one). I hope it's a faithful conversion of the Iliad but look what they did with lord of the rings. You guys in the states will get it first so please - post a review (maybe put it in the review section here at TG?)

I wonder if they'll call hime hercules or heracles.
      Jex.

Comment

I went to see it and I loved it! Man, if you love battle scenes, than you'll love this show. The only thing bad in my view about it is the drama stuff with Brad Pitt and the lady (forgott her name, sorry), but other than that, it had a scene that reminded me of Lord of The Rings : Returnof the King. Absolutely a go to see! :)
        If it is stupid but works, then it is not stupid.
        -Murphy

Comment

So seeing Brad Pitts ass didnt bother you any?

Comment

thats what is bothering me i dont consider brad pitt a particuarily good actor if it wasnt for his looks he would not have got anywhere, the only thing i liked him in was fight club.

so ill have to wait until more people have gone to see it.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

I would suggest to wait until the video came out. The visual effects aren't that spectacular to make you need to see it in a movie. I did like the shot of all the Greek ships on their way to Troy, but that was about it. The battle scenes weren't all that impressive, nothing to make this movie stand out. I did however like the fight between Achillies and Hektor.

The movie seemed slow and uneventful. Not in the "is it over yet" type of way. It didn't bring out any emotion in me or keep me in suspense.

Originally posted by Geisha
              Well, from the blurb on the website, I think they actually at least READ the Iliad. Of course the thousand ships and the hundreds of thousands of people they show fighting on the trailer are a little overblown.
              I haven't checked the website, but the facts were pretty bad. I have no problems with movies changing some things, but the relationship between people was off. They even had Achillies in the trojan horse... I believe he died before that.

Take a look at this site which shows some of the incorrectness (is that a word?) about the movie.
              Originally posted by Geisha
              I think the action & cinematics ought to be decent, but it will be interesting to see if they make Achilles (Brad Pitt) a sympathetic character because he was kind of a ego-maniac bent on rape in the Iliad.
              I'm not sure Achillies was sympathetic, but he didn't play the role of a Greek Hero. I wouldn't say it's Brad Pitts fault, it was the way the movie was done. I searched through some reviews of the movie and Roger Ebert summed up his character pretty well here.
              |TG-12th| asch
              sigpic

Comment

Yeah, friends who saw it said they tore the story to shreds to make it fit Hollywood proportions and that the visuals weren't good enough to justify it. Too bad. :( I guess the blurb is about as close as they got to the real story.

Edit: And I used to despise Brad Pitt because I was forced to watch Legends of the Fall. Snatch convinced me otherwise, and my husband swears he was really good in Fight Club.

Comment

Originally posted by asch
                  I haven't checked the website, but the facts were pretty bad. I have no problems with movies changing some things, but the relationship between people was off. They even had Achillies in the trojan horse... I believe he died before that.
                  It has been a long time since I read the book but doesn't the story goes like this....

Guy falls in love with Helen and takes her back to Troy

Some other guy follows and Achillies tags along for the slaughtering

Achillies is practically immortal, kills bunches of Troy soldiers and some tough Troy main characters....

Some guy in Troy figures out Achillies weakness and throws a spear that lands exactly in that spot...Achillies dies

Spartan army has no Achillies, so they can't break Troy anymore, they build big wooden horse and the idiotic city of Troy brings it in without checking it out first (come on, you steal their most beautiful woman, you kill their most powerful hero, you barely hang on to your lives and city, the enemy turns away because they can not sustain a long seige, and you honestly believe that the wooden horse out there is a gift for you?????)

Comment

ok ok wolfie lets not question the original story... its written and it shouldnt be changed no matter how dumb it looks.

lol

and brad pitt was brilliant in fight club but thats it all his other films were crap, and he cant act much at all.... snatch is ok and can be excused i suppose.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Let me give you an overview of the movie:

Actors:

The guy from hulk: Great actor and character.

Brad Pitt:All around bad ass in that movie.

Orlando Bloom:What a little %[email protected]$&@.If you are going to stick up for your ho at least fight.

The chicks(helen,etc):Somewhat annoying but they were hot so whos complaining.

Overall:Go see it.NOW!!!

O and by the way brad pitt actually requested a nude scene because he worked like a dog for almost a year to get his body like that.

Comment

Filming was stopped on this movie for 3 months. Why?

Brad Pitt tore his Achilles tendon during filming..

ironic..
                        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

*giggle*

Also I was talking to my friends dad and he said that he was watching an interview with brad pitt.Brad said that they agreed on paying each other if they cut each other 50 dollars for a minor cut and 100 for a deep cut.He said that he got paid I think 200$ he paid the other actor(hector) 700$ and he paid himself 400$.

Comment

Originally posted by BATMAN.
                            Orlando Bloom:What a little %[email protected]$&@.If you are going to stick up for your ho at least fight.
                            In his defense, Paris (Bloom's character) was a big weanie in the Iliad. The only reason he got Helen in the first place was because Aphrodite (goddess of love) fixed it up for him. Paris stole the girl and ran and hid behind his dad, the king of Troy; and if I remember correctly, the one time he went out to fight he got wounded immediately and Aphrodite spirited him away to fix that, too (a good literary excuse for He Ran Away).

Comment

Originally posted by jex
                              I too love the greek classics (I watched Jason and the Argonouats the other day which I own on DVD - lol I love the skeletons in that one). I hope it's a faithful conversion of the Iliad but look what they did with lord of the rings. You guys in the states will get it first so please - post a review (maybe put it in the review section here at TG?)

I wonder if they'll call hime hercules or heracles.
                              Mmmm methinks I was getting my mythos mixed up. It's not heracles but Hector!

Will Achilles have his male lover with him?
                              Jex.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X