Question to anyone who knows

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question to anyone who knows

did Congress declare war with Iraq Officially, i am reading some text now that says that the congress has not declared war officically since world war 2 and all conflicts since were not officially declared by congress. is this correct, its an academic text so i have no reason to doubt that this is the case up to the latest conflict in Iraq as it does mention Afghanistan.

so did congress officically declare war with iraq? if you have any non politically biased or suspect web pages with information on this could you forward it here.

thanks.

www.TeamElement.com

Re: Question to anyone who knows

Hi

The short answer is no but they did authorize the use of force.

IronClaw

Comment

Originally posted by [TG] IronClaw View Post
      Hi

The short answer is no but they did authorize the use of force.

IronClaw
      so its probably still standing that officially they have not declared war on any nation since world war 2...

ok thanks...

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Originally posted by DudeMan View Post
        so its probably still standing that officially they have not declared war on any nation since world war 2...

ok thanks...
        Right.

I think that they did declare war on terror, though. But that's not a nation.
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
          Right.

oh yeah, its not a negative comment about congress, its just something i found hard to believe, an institution that values principal and proceedure for its very creation, and it does not officially go to war... its just odd, :row__642:

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Phew, looks like it only covers one or two nations, for now.
            Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
            Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

You have forced me to ask:
              What does an official declaration of war mean? (executive summary plz :) )
              Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Dear sir,

The bombing will begin soon.
                Good luck with that.

-USA
                ---
                Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

Originally posted by icky View Post
                  It's exactly what it says. It's Congress formally declaring war.

Here's some more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declara..._United_States
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Thank you, Cing, for linking to an article on Wikipedia that refers to "President Monkey Nuts Sucka." My night is complete.
                    ---
                    Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

Originally posted by Switchcraft View Post
                      Thank you, Cing, for linking to an article on Wikipedia that refers to "President Monkey Nuts Sucka." My night is complete.
                      Oh, man, you should've screen capped it! It's been fixed already, or else I'm blind...
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Sorry, I didn't think it would go that fast. Yeah, it was under Korean War, they had replaced Truman's name with it.
                        ---

Comment

Originally posted by Switchcraft View Post
                          Dear sir,

The bombing will begin soon.
                          Good luck with that.

-USA
                          yeah your probably right with that.... he he

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Originally posted by icky View Post
                            well its a question about the checks and balances that keep the president from becoming to powerful in the USA. its just some reading i was doing, but whilst the president is the commander and chief of the armed forces, congress holds the cap on the spending limit for any conflict but also have to declare war. over here without any consultation above the military advisors and aides, Tony Blair could declare war tomorrow and use public funds to pummel anyone he wanted. the president cant, (theoretically) i just found it strange that this (dare i say it) fundemental check on the presidents power has not been used since world war 2, and just think how many conflicts the nation has been in since then including iraq.

over the next few years i bet (if you are not already) going to see committe after committe blaiming the bush administration for the 'screw ups' in iraq, yet congress themselves didnt do a fantastic job of vetting or checking his powers... thats all, as cing posted the actual declaration is just an official declaration and perhaps its only a symbolic gesture these days, but what do i know...lol

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X