Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What a STEAL!! "Playstations, 3 of them" for only $900 on eBay!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a STEAL!! "Playstations, 3 of them" for only $900 on eBay!

Ultimate pwnage by ebay seller, lets go to the scoreboard....

ebay seller: 999095794307584 | PS3 Fanboi: 0

http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/20/o...ons-3-of-them/

• Chewy
    replied
    Re: What a STEAL!! "Playstations, 3 of them" for only $900 on eBay!

I like one of the comments at the bottom of the article...

"At least whoever bought these can enjoy amazing CD audio."

Priceless.

Leave a comment:

• ScratchMonkey
    replied

The issue of advertising and deception is part of Information Economics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_information

I haven't had a chance to read this paper yet but it looks relevant:

http://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/Information.html

(I have to race out to move some major appliances, and will read it when I get back.)

I found it with this google:

http://www.google.com/search?num=100...n+&btnG=Search

Leave a comment:

• DudeMan
    replied

Originally posted by thebleakaffinity View Post
    Or, perhaps seeing that the way the free market functions is totally unethical, we come up with a better system :) .

yeah we should storm the white house and and.... revolt.... that will teach them we could sit round camp fires and sing songs.... that will show them what kind of people we are.... we should all put on our Sham 69 albums and play them really loud.....

he he... sorry but a free market, is tired and tested, and even though it can treat people unfairly, put it this way... it does wonders for economic evolution, because idiots like the one in question quickly get removed from the market. lol :row__642:

Leave a comment:

• Barracuda_Magoo
    replied

Originally posted by Barracuda_Magoo View Post
    Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
    Already fried by E-bay. =)
    The "custom PS3" was a PS1 duct-taped to a PS2. PS1 + PS2 = PS3, apparently.

Leave a comment:

• sordavie
    replied

Originally posted by Icsist View Post
    Once a month for two months? that doesnt make sense.. do you mean once a year for two months?
    Once a month for two months means at most you can use it twice, ever. It makes sense. You just have to parse the sentence correctly.

I'll let you use my computer once a week, till the semester ends (which is in 3 weeks). That would be like saying, I'll let you use my computer once a week for three weeks.

Leave a comment:

• Kerostasis
    replied

Already fried by E-bay. =)

Leave a comment:

• Barracuda_Magoo
    replied

"Custom PS3":
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=300051023981

Leave a comment:

• Kerostasis
    replied

"Better systems" have been tried, and don't work. The Free Market is the best system known to mankind.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Or, perhaps seeing that the way the free market functions is totally unethical, we come up with a better system :) .

Leave a comment:

• Kerostasis
    replied

My (blurry) line of reasoning:

--A sale like this is unethical
    --Unethical sales procedures like this are pretty much SOP in most sales businesses
    --Any salesman that actually conducts himself ethically, has a very difficult time competing with the unethical salesmen, at least until he establishes a customer base that admires his honesty (not impossible, but difficult enough to discourage most businesses from trying it). This maintains the status quo of having most salesmen be snakes.
    --I refuse to conduct sales myself, for that reason---I've held several sales jobs for short periods of time, but never sold much because I didn't like manipulating my customers
    --Given that unethical sales practices like this are normal in our society, the only thing surprising or shocking about this particular sale is how easy it should have been to recognize it as a scam
    --Given that, I have trouble feeling sympathy for someone dumb enough to fall for it. They need to learn to be more careful with their money, and losing $900 of it is a good way to start.

Leave a comment:

• CingularDuality
    replied

Originally posted by DudeMan View Post
    but the fact is, this guy does not legally have to care whether stephen hawkin is sitting opn the other side of the computer mathmatically calculating every transactions worths. Ebay is comprised of people selling crap to rip other people off. just some people think the crap is good, and they buy it....

...its not up to me to vet the transactions i make on Ebay, and whilst it may not be moral, its buisness, and like it or not buisness is never truely moral, the only way to become rich, is to make someone else poorer...

not saying i agree with this, but its buyer beware, if you cant handle your accounts, dont pay for things on ebay. go to reputable dealers.
    Some very good points.

I'm not sure where the line is. For me, it's big and blurry. I don't have a problem with this auction. Like Dudeman, I don't see how someone can be expected to hold people's hands while, at the same time, hurting your business by explaining all of the marketing techniques used in advertisement. This auction accurately described what was being auctioned, correct? It was worded in a way that, at first glance, might have made it seem better than it actually was, though, right? I don't have a problem with that.

Leave a comment:

• Icsist
    replied

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
    First, that an action is legal does not mean it is morally permissible.

. In fine print, the contract states that he does not own your timeshare, he just gets to use it once a month for two months, if you aren't there, and cannot rent it out or anything like that. .
    Once a month for two months? that doesnt make sense.. do you mean once a year for two months?

Leave a comment:

• DudeMan
    replied

Sordavie, i dont think anyone would dispute taking money, although perfectly legally from someone who is dumb enough, or mentally incapable as you have described, to transact to their full potential is a morally permissable thing to do.

but the fact is, this guy does not legally have to care whether stephen hawkin is sitting opn the other side of the computer mathmatically calculating every transactions worths. Ebay is comprised of people selling crap to rip other people off. just some people think the crap is good, and they buy it.

the fact is, if you cant be trusted with your own accounts then you shouldnt be, and there is one sure way to learn that you are financially stupid... being ripped off. if the buyer paid through paypal, he/she can get their cash back. if they didnt, well they are dumber than people here give them credit for.

its not up to me to vet the transactions i make on Ebay, and whilst it may not be moral, its buisness, and like it or not buisness is never truely moral, the only way to become rich, is to make someone else poorer...

not saying i agree with this, but its buyer beware, if you cant handle your accounts, dont pay for things on ebay. go to reputable dealers.

and its ebay, the same trading standards that shops have dont apply, if you sell a second hand car that is a rustheap... you dont advertise it as a rust heap. that is the same line, an advert for my last car would look something like this,

buy my ford fiesta its crap the seats are ripped and broken, the springs are shot, the tyres are bald, the head gasket is blown although if i warm the engine up before you arive you wont hear it. and the clutch is a temporary one fitted by the aa which needs imidiate repaire... will someone by that car no... so i sold it as a reliable machine that has just become too small for my needs, and its an excelent fuel efficient first time car. and as a result sold it... i dont feel guilty about that. same rules apply as far as i see it.

Leave a comment:

• SmokingTarpan
    replied

Originally posted by aesop rock View Post
    Kinda sad how excited y'all are over someone getting ripped off.
    I always get a laugh at the blatantly stupid. Like a contract, you should always read all the way through before signing or spending your money. For ebay, that means drop down to the line where it tells you what you're actually bidding on. In this case:

"You're bidding on Sony Playstations, 3 of them."

Nowhere in the auction does it come close to saying that this guy is selling a PS3. The one questionable line would be, "THERE IS NOWHERE TO FIND EVEN THE 20GB SYSTEMS THIS CHEAP....BUY THESE INSTEAD!" That's probably the simply truth; at the time of the auction, there probably were no PS3 systems on ebay that were as cheap as $900. And "buy these instead" should have raised a warning flag.

I'm the annoying guy that will take 20min to sit there at the doc's office and read entirely through every form before signing my name while everyone else simply gets it, signs it and hands it back as fast as possible. And if I don't understand something on the form, I don't sign it until I get clarification and approve. Given the absence of an extreme circumstance (such as taking advantage of an obviously mentally handicapped person), I feel no pity for people who aren't as careful- especially where money is involved.

Leave a comment:

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
X