Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foreign Visitors say it's tough to get a Visa to US

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...src=rss&rpc=22

More than half of the travelers surveyed said U.S. immigration officials were rude and two-thirds said they feared they would be detained on arriving in the United States for a simple mistake in their paperwork or for saying the wrong thing to an immigration official.
    "The problem is that since September 11, this country has viewed visitors more as a threat than an opportunity," Freeman said. "The entry process has created a climate of fear and frustration that is keeping foreign visitors away."
    Interesting article and I guess I am not heartbroken by it. I think it's extremely important that we know who is entering and leaving the US.

Lucky Shot

Re: Foreign Visitors say it's tough to get a Visa to US

Im with you. Maybe they will get the hint.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Yep. I know that I'm somewhat nervous about even crossing US airspace (not like Calgary to Mexico, but Calgary to Toronto), due to demands made by the US of domestic flight passenger manifests.

In other words, I've taken the hint.

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
      [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
      Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR] View Post
        Im with you. Maybe they will get the hint.
        Who will get what hint?

Comment

Originally posted by Iamthefallen View Post
          Who will get what hint?
          The ferners will get the hint that we don't want ferners in our country?
          [squadl]
          "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Just wait until US Citizens are required to have a US Passport in order to re-enter the United States! ( I still don't see how they can legally do that... )
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Cing:

Is requiring a passport any different than requiring other forms of ID at the border? If there's a legal justification for proof of citizenship, then can't the government legally decide what the proof must include? What makes the passport so unique that it's unjustifiable?
              ---
              Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

We aren't all that crass. I swear.

(come party with me Bom!)

Comment

Originally posted by Bommando
                  Wow. I look forward to a welcome as warm as this if I ever intend to visit the States.
                  Some people in the US are just nuts Bommando, try living with them around you everyday.

Comment

This reaffirms my longstanding desire for a second passport.

The entire US entry process is a joke. Check visitors against a list of suspects and deny those whom are on it. It's that simple and can be (is?) done before passengers even arrive in the US - it's done whilst they're flying or before takeoff (right?). When they arrive, check their identity versus the passport. Forget all of this nonsense at the point of entry in airports, having people carry their bags past the 'master of all bags' person. Just x-ray bags going on airplanes (already do this) and have a drug dog sitting around the terminal somewhere. I've just cut the processing time in half, if not a third or more.

No more questions like 'What were you doing there? Lot of bags for two days. And how was your sister? Is she younger than you?' I know this nonsense is done to detect contraband, but please just stop it. Look at me, look at my passport, stamp it, and wave me through.

Our obsession with false 'security' is not only silly but counter-productive as well.

And please, for the love of the flying spaghetti monster, loosen up with the visas.
                    Last edited by Nikolas; 11-22-2006, 09:24 PM.
                    A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
                      This reaffirms my longstanding desire for a second passport.

The entire US entry process is a joke. Check visitors against a list of suspects and deny those whom are on it. It's that simple and can be (is?) done before passengers even arrive in the US - it's done whilst they're flying or before takeoff (right?). When they arrive, check their identity versus the passport. Forget all of this nonsense at the point of entry in airports, having people carry their bags past the 'master of all bags' person. Just x-ray bags going on airplanes (already do this) and have a drug dog sitting around the terminal somewhere. I've just cut the processing time in half, if not a third or more.

No more questions like 'What were you doing there? Lot of bags for two days. And how was your sister? Is she younger than you?' I know this nonsense is done to detect contraband, but please just stop it. Look at me, look at my passport, stamp it, and wave me through.

Our obsession with false 'security' is not only silly but counter-productive as well.

And please, for the love of the flying spaghetti monster, loosen up with the visas.
                      You're assuming that there's any sort of security at all at the originating airport. Flight manifests are next to useless on about half of all international flights. A passport and inspection (regardless of how brief) is VITAL to any country's security.

Originally posted by Switchcraft View Post
                      Cing:

Is requiring a passport any different than requiring other forms of ID at the border? If there's a legal justification for proof of citizenship, then can't the government legally decide what the proof must include? What makes the passport so unique that it's unjustifiable?
                      I don't really have a problem with it, except that I can't wait to see what happens when a US Citizen attempts to re-enter the USA without a passport. How long are they going to deny him/her entry? Right now there's a similar passport "requirement" for any USC returning from the Eastern Hemisphere. It's not strictly enforced.
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                        You're assuming that there's any sort of security at all at the originating airport. Flight manifests are next to useless on about half of all international flights. A passport and inspection (regardless of how brief) is VITAL to any country's security.
                        Check visitors against a list of suspects and deny those whom are on it...When they arrive, check their identity versus the passport.
                        So, in other words, you agree with me?
                        A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

Comment

So, in other words, you agree with me?
                          Absolutely not. It's important to inspect arriving aliens to ensure that they're coming to the United States for the right reasons. If they're coming here on a tourist visa, we need to ensure that they're not actually intending to get a job here. If they're here on a student visa, we need to ensure that they're actually enrolled in a school. If they're here on a fiance visa, we need to make sure that the marriage is still on.

If you knew how much fraud is committed by people trying to enter our country, you'd agree with me.

Your system would be great if all of the systems involved in granting an alien permission to enter our country were able to be updated in real time. But upgrading those systems would require the hiring of thousands of employees and the updating of MANY databases and networks. We're talking about billions of dollars to make this work.
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Absolutely not. It's important to inspect arriving aliens to ensure that they're coming to the United States for the right reasons. If they're coming here on a tourist visa, we need to ensure that they're not actually intending to get a job here. If they're here on a student visa, we need to ensure that they're actually enrolled in a school. If they're here on a fiance visa, we need to make sure that the marriage is still on.

If you knew how much fraud is committed by people trying to enter our country, you'd agree with me.

Your system would be great if all of the systems involved in granting an alien permission to enter our country were able to be updated in real time. But upgrading those systems would require the hiring of thousands of employees and the updating of MANY databases and networks. We're talking about billions of dollars to make this work.
                            I don't follow. Someone shows up with the visa in their passport. You look at it to ensure that it's not fraudulent. You check to make sure that the person in the picture is the person standing in front of you. You check them against the watch lists. What else needs to be done? It's the job of those whom issue the visas to ensure that the recipient is in fact enrolled in school, married, or just visiting. Not the fellow checking your passport on arrival.

Of course, my earlier comments apply just as much to US citizens re-entering the US as to foreigners.

Comment

Just wait until US Citizens are required to have a US Passport in order to re-enter the United States! ( I still don't see how they can legally do that... )
                              Government always ratchets up its intrusion in our lives. We started with a "temporary" income tax that would apply only the ultra-rich, and it's now inconceivable to do without it and it applies to virtually everyone.

Similarly, expect your papers to be checked entering and leaving every township. It may not happen tomorrow, but in 25-50 years you'll think it was always that way.

Brought to you by the same people who mandate 3 gallon flush toilets that require 2 flushes to do the work of one 5 gallon flusher. (Hey, it was a great subsidy to the porcelain industry!)
                              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X