Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Worst Ever?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...120101509.html

I hate to see Nixon compared to our current President. Nixon had blood on his hands and was a disgrace but at least left this nation with a series of constructive policies: he founded the EPA, normalizied realtionships with China, Detente, started the Salt I treaty and was perhaps the last US President to care about the poor. Bush has all the negative qualities of Nixon but none of his attributes.
    |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
    "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
    - Check me out on The Onion
    - I'm on the local news!

Re: The Worst Ever?

^ Sho 'nuff!

Comment

I find it interesting that Lincoln and FDR get put into the "great" category. Lincoln suspended habeus corpus, and FDR had thousands of people rounded up and put into detention facilities without any chance to have their status reviewed.

In the face of that, using "Bush has shown disdain" for the law is obviously far more of a partisan criticism than an academic critique, especially considering the Lincoln quote at the end.
      ---
      Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

LBJ was a far worse president than Nixon in my opinion.

I'd rate Bush's chance of being the worst ever pretty low.
        A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by Switchcraft View Post
          I find it interesting that Lincoln and FDR get put into the "great" category. Lincoln suspended habeus corpus, and FDR had thousands of people rounded up and put into detention facilities without any chance to have their status reviewed.

In the face of that, using "Bush has shown disdain" for the law is obviously far more of a partisan criticism than an academic critique, especially considering the Lincoln quote at the end.
          In mainstream American history and for those historians who write it, Lincoln was the great emancipator and reunited the country. FDR won World War II and saved our country from "evil". The reasons Bush will rank so low is Iraq, Katrina and no semblance of domestic policies which made a difference for the country.
          |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
          - I'm on the local news!

Comment

Yeah in main stream histroy any president could be rated as the worse ever. FDR put policies in to the system that are killing our economy today. Lincoln reuniting the country is a relative term, sothern or northern.

They do this every year for every president. Why not wait for 10years to go by and then ask what a president should be known for. Most policies dont really effect the country until they are out of office anyways.
            that sounds like a good idea trooper.
            -Vulcan

Comment

Yeah..FatKid, your reasons are definitely not the reasons cited by the guy in the article. He said Bush was stripping rights from people, and I'm just trying to point out that Bush hasn't done anything nearly as close to ignoring the constitution as the two of the "great" presidents he listed.

But if you're willing to stipulate that stripping people's rights and ignoring the constitution in order to win a war can make you a great president, then I guess I can meet you halfway on that.
              ---
              Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

Emotions run high on any President near the end of his term, or shortly after. How many people do you think thought that Clinton was the Worst President Ever™ around 1999?

You get a much better historical picture by waiting 10 or 15 years before taking your survey. Even then you'll get arguments, but at least not nearly as many. Most people (not quite all) today agree that Lincoln was a great president, but when he was actually in office? He was hated so much they assassinated him. Half the country thought he was such a terrible president they seceeded and refused to be ruled by him. So its really not worth while asking how historically good or bad a President is until he's been out of office for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Switchcraft View Post
                  But if you're willing to stipulate that stripping people's rights and ignoring the constitution in order to win a war can make you a great president, then I guess I can meet you halfway on that.
                  It is arguable whether such policies actually affect the country's ability to win a war, particularly when that war is not taking place in our actual country. Lincoln suspended Habeus Corpus along routes being used by Rebel forces to limit their ability to move under the cover of civilians. The current policies call for the executive to have arbitrary control over who has rights and who doesn't.

You are right about viewing President's through the lens of history. Lincoln is given a pass on conduct because ultimately, his efforts held the union together. FDR is largely forgiven such evils as internment camps because a) we won the war, and b) the gov't later apologized. I seriously doubt that as Iraq collapses and the world is left a more hostile and anti-American place, the current president will earn a favoable place in history.
                  In game handle: Steel Scion
                  sigpic

Comment

I would just like to praise the title of this thread as downright Fox-worthy. :D
                    Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Originally posted by icky View Post
                      I would just like to praise the title of this thread as downright Fox-worthy. :D
                      You know you're a Redneck when...
                      ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                      No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Originally posted by icky View Post
                        Yeah, phrasing outrageous statements as questions is awesome :p

"Democrats eat babies?" "Hillary Clinton actually a hermaphrodite?" "Bill O'Reilly not a douche?"

Comment

I think this is the final nail in the coffin to this question:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/19/bu...19bush.html?hp
                          |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
                          - I'm on the local news!

Comment

“I’ve canceled my travel today to stay in Washington, where I will continue to closely monitor the situation in our financial markets and consult with my economic advisers.”

Ladies and Gentlemen, that seals it -- this was officially the Worst President Ever™. No self respecting President should be consulting with economic advisors during an economic crisis -- he should be out giving feel-good speeches! Or, was that feel-bad speeches? I forget.

Comment

a·bys·mal [ ə bízm'l ] (adjective)

Definition:
                              1. horrible: extremely bad or severe

Synonyms: terrible, awful, dreadful, horrible, appalling, bad

Antonym: superb

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X