Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worst toys of all time (and why responsibility would fix some of them...)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst toys of all time (and why responsibility would fix some of them...)

http://www.radarmagazine.com/features/2006/12/toys.php

Reading the articles and some of the comments on the first page made me realize just how wussified our society has become. They're disgusting and depressing.

A dive stick is dangerous because it could be too heavy to swim back up to the surface? A Superball is dangerous because it could hit someone in the eye? A pogo stick because you can jump high in the air? A slip and slide because you could scrape your belly? A cap gun? A HAMMOCK, fer crissakes?????

Ridiculous...
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: Worst toys of all time (and why responsibility would fix some of them...)

Do I jump? Or do I ride it out and see if I can clear the gully? Is it sentient? Can it be reasoned with?

LOL, I had a couple of those toys, including the infamous Jarts..............I do remember threatening my sister with perforation using these.

Comment

I hear sunlight burns and there are tons of germs in the dirt.
      [volun]

Comment

Oxygen feeds fires making them rage out of control.....we should keep our children away from this dangerous substance!

Comment

you take government regulations out of parenting(toys), what would parents do? Lord knows the schools arent gonna do anything.
          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
          -Vulcan

Comment

Creepy Crawlers were awesome, screw this crap.

Comment

That's why I keep my kids in a special "cushy room". Not too cushy though, because they could fall face down and suffocate. I'm sure they'll figure out how to fend for themselves when they emerge as adults.
              Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Aren't some of those toys legitimately dangerous, and should not be used by kids, with or without parental supervision?

The Snacktime doll, for instance - should the child have to live life sans a finger because their parent's weren't bright enough?

I get the point about the undesirability of the nanny state, but the solution is not that anything goes, let markets decide and consumers (and their children) deserve the fate they get. It's about finding a balance.

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
                [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
                Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

Shure! but the key phrase is "without parent supervision".

While Im not a parent myself and im not gonna get into this debate as its been held here in the sandbox before, I will say that at least a good portion of those toys could be just fine with parental supervision.......i dont let my niece play with her easybake oven unless im around even though its only a light bulb.
                  The radioactive one....not so much....

Comment

Originally posted by Diceman View Post
                    The Snacktime doll, for instance - should the child have to live life sans a finger because their parent's weren't bright enough?
                    Nobody lost a finger from that doll... It was recalled because long hair could get caught in the mechanism and it would literally eat its way up to a child's scalp once the hair got caught... Another valuable lesson to be learned, but NOOOOOOooooo, now we have to warn adults not to get their hair or neckties near the mouth of a paper shredder... These toys taught common sense.
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Originally posted by freekyE View Post
                      Do I jump? Or do I ride it out and see if I can clear the gully? Is it sentient? Can it be reasoned with?
                      Yeah, now defective toys (or, for adults, tools) are a different story altogether.
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

This just in: It has been proven beyond contest in a thorough scientific study that breathing inevitably leads to DEATH! You heard it here first! Everyone stop breathing or you'll die in 60-70 years!

This PSA brought to you by the Council for Legal Action Against the Planet.

Comment

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! WHY HAVEN'T YOU MENTIONED THIS THING YET!?

http://www.radarmagazine.com/feature...energy_lab.php

By Hades! That's what amounts to what could possibly be your own freakin' home nuclear reactor if you were smart enough to rig it in that fashion. If I was a kid and this toy was still around, and I owned one... Well, let's just say that half of Canada would be missing because with my luck I'd somehow turn it into a nuclear bomb.

But... You have to admit. That would be so cool.

Here is how you may call me:
                          Ty (Tie), or Tychus. (Tie-cuss)'. Full pronounciation: Tie-can-dur-us
                          -Tychandrus

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                            Nobody lost a finger from that doll...
                            My bad; the article reads as though some kids actually lost digits to it. As usual, Wikipedia sheds light on the situation.

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
                            [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
                            Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

Originally posted by Tychandrus View Post
                              WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! WHY HAVEN'T YOU MENTIONED THIS THING YET!?

http://www.radarmagazine.com/feature...energy_lab.php

By Hades! That's what amounts to what could possibly be your own freakin' home nuclear reactor if you were smart enough to rig it in that fashion. If I was a kid and this toy was still around, and I owned one... Well, let's just say that half of Canada would be missing because with my luck I'd somehow turn it into a nuclear bomb.

But... You have to admit. That would be so cool.
                              What could happen indeed?

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...WS03/611190639

Lucky Shot

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X