Comment

Re: So, Time's Person of the Year is...

yeah, total copout. should've been sascha baron cohen

Comment

I like it.

More props to the individual.

Good find calvin.

I guess their confident that the rest of the year nothing else major happens
        (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
        (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
        (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
        Squad Leader pledge to their team:
        Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

Aww wow. Gee, I uh, I didn't really expect this. I was happy just to be nominated. Ehh, well I'd just like to thank my friends and family for supporting me and uhh, especially my mom...

Comment

Talk about taking it up a notch on the lame scale. I guess nobody in the world did anything noteworthy this year.
            Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

I dunno, I like it.....does this mean I can add "2006 Person of the Year" under the "Accomplishments" section of my resume?

I'm a celebrity now! woohoo!
              |TG-33rd|Calvin

Comment

Originally posted by calvin View Post
                I dunno, I like it.....does this mean I can add "2006 Person of the Year" under the "Accomplishments" section of my resume?
                I'm going to do this next time I submit a federal resume!
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Where do I pick up my prize?
                  |TG|Melee
                  Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Originally posted by calvin View Post

I'm a celebrity now! woohoo!
                    lol, great idea
                    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Kinda reminds me of this:

Comment

I am a little Lebowski Urban Achiever and I have a t-shirt to prove it.

I think Time may have jumped the shark with this one.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo View Post
                          I think Time may have jumped the shark with this one.
                          Seriously? Think about what kind of history Time Magazine has...

On the other hand, I always considered her sister, Life, to be a steadfast institution, too...

I think this is more likely to simply be considered a low point in Time's illustrious timeline.
                          Become a supporting member!
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I must be the only person here who thinks that the selection for Time's PotY is appropriate.

I'm sure there's some here who think I must be a crackpot, naive or both for thinking that Web 2.0 actually is a revolution in the way we organize information - but I do. The fundamental difference of Web 2.0 is that there is no single academic, business person or politician behind it all.

Web 2.0 exists only as the conversation that is had via the many media available to us, collectively. It is the output that comes of many inputs, and I believe it will have as fundamental an impact on human society as the printing press, free markets or democracy. They all effected a devolution of power from the elites to the masses, as Web 2.0 does.

As for the PotY award specifically, this is not the first time that Time has chosen an abstraction of a concept or group to win.

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
                            [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
                            Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

Originally posted by Diceman View Post
                              Web 2.0 exists only as the conversation that is had via the many media available to us, collectively. It is the output that comes of many inputs, and I believe it will have as fundamental an impact on human society as the printing press, free markets or democracy. They all effected a devolution of power from the elites to the masses, as Web 2.0 does.

As for the PotY award specifically, this is not the first time that Time has chosen an abstraction of a concept or group to win.
                              Hey Diceman,

It just occurred to me that there is something odd going on when the traditional categories for naming society like, e.g., "the commoners," "the people," or "the community," are dropped in favor of the 2nd person "you." Kind of reminds me of the "my" McDonald's phenomenon & 1000 other personalizing techniques that are cropping up everywhere. I take it Time is talking about the political impact of bloggers or the overall impact of online communication in general, but to me it has a strkingly consumerist flavor to ask the "me" to take primary credit for the total effect of everyone communicating online. I can see why someone would give the prize to "you," but I think it might offer a seriously distorted view of what is going on. I agree with your post in principle, but I don't think the way Time goes about framing this concept is appropriate.

derd

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X