Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone ever changed their opinion or admitted to being wrong in this forum?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone ever changed their opinion or admitted to being wrong in this forum?

I'm quite curious, and this isn't a rhetorical question. Can you remember any instance when either your own opinion or someone else's was changed on an issue, or someone admitted to being wrong? Specific links to different posts would be nice, rather than "Oh, I was having my morning coffee the next day and I realized that leejo/cing/steeler really knew what he was talking about in that thread."

Re: Has anyone ever changed their opinion or admitted to being wrong in this forum?

I think most sandbox threads are eye openers. I know a few issues i have changed my view on a subject after a couple days of debate and info given by members.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Re: Has anyone ever changed their opinion or admitted to being wrong in this forum?

No. Because my superior intellect defeats all comers or I'm a zealot blinded by my own rigid dogma. Take your pick.
      |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
      "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
      - Check me out on The Onion
      - I'm on the local news!

Comment

Yes I see people back up upon receiving some clarification fairly often. I know that I've personally changed my mind on a few topics at least in part as a result of discussions in this forum.

Comment

I can't say as I've changed my opinion, but I have learned quite a bit from some of the discussions in this forum. When you look at the threads that are nothing more than conspiracy theory and partisan bashing I can't say as you'll find much of value. In other threads, I've seen discussions go on for a couple pages where folks share actual facts and information that are valuable for my own personal enrichment.

A lot of individuals feel that their opinion is fact and that the lastest conspiracy theory or hatemongering must be reality. Personally, I have my own opinions but I realize they are largely just that, my personal opinion. If people want to share their opinions and reasons behind them, I would love to read their input.

Alas, most conversations here consist of one person trying to ram their opinion down someone elses throat as though it was fact. Unfortunately, It's why I stay out of most conversations and/or depart from the conversation as soon as someone jumps in and tries to dictate their opinion as reality for all.

I've often thought about making another private forum that would be invitation-based only and members would be selected based on their participation in the sandbox. I think a lot of us could learn more about other's viewpoints and get a better view of the world as a result.
          Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by thebleakaffinity View Post
            ICan you remember any instance when either your own opinion or someone else's was changed on an issue, or someone admitted to being wrong?
            As I read your post, I form the opinion that nobody ever changed their opinion or admitted being wrong in the sandbox. I now admit that was wrong. I change my opinion, forming the opinion that somebody has changed their opinion.

Now, as I read the paragraph above, I remember someone's changing their opinion in the sandbox--indeed, it was myself in that paragraph.

So, to answer your question Bleak: yes I do remember an instance when someone changed his or her opinion and here is the link: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/showpos...95&postcount=6

;)

Comment

Whew! Glad we got that wrapped up. :D

Comment

Well, I'm still interested in seeing other examples. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
                  I've often thought about making another private forum that would be invitation-based only and members would be selected based on their participation in the sandbox. I think a lot of us could learn more about other's viewpoints and get a better view of the world as a result.
                  Sort of like the PCS of sandboxes. Cool idea.
                  that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                  -Vulcan

Comment

Intresting idea, I would say give it a shot and see what happens.

Comment

I.D. post number 211.

After Obi wrote that the discovery of D.N.A. had nothing to do with a possible reason for religion being on the offensive over science explaining reality, I agreed.

"wait, fair enough, D.N.A. should be off the list.

Mapping of the human genome was brought on by D.N.A. understanding.

By itself D.N.A. does nothing to discredit religion and their understanding of reality.

What I mean is what they believe to be reality and truth:
                      i.e.
                      World being 5K year old for Christinans."

Here is the post: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/sandbox...design-15.html

That is one for me.
                      (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
                      (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
                      (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
                      Squad Leader pledge to their team:
                      Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

I think it's clear that a more middle ground isn't going to happen.

Please proceed with your idea. And please remove this public forum. If not that, make it Supporting Members only so that I don't have to be embarrassed by it when I introduce new people to these forums.

Here's to better views and less puerility.
                        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I dont participate in the sandbox much, but the one time i did change my opinion slightly on something i recall getting bashed for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                            I think it's clear that a more middle ground isn't going to happen.

Please proceed with your idea. And please remove this public forum. If not that, make it Supporting Members only so that I don't have to be embarrassed by it when I introduce new people to these forums.

Here's to better views and less puerility.
                            Good comments. I've thought and thought about the Sandbox and what should be done with it. It CAN be an embarrasment, but at the same time it can also be a great asset. Seriously strict moderation could help, but I think that would just be more of a pain in the arse.
                            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Good comments. I've thought and thought about the Sandbox and what should be done with it. It CAN be an embarrasment, but at the same time it can also be a great asset. Seriously strict moderation could help, but I think that would just be more of a pain in the arse.
                              Our community thrives on the pain of the select few who reliably enforce our expectations, ideally with zero drama. This forum needn't be any different.

With as much honesty as I observe that removing friends and community veterans from the conversation is difficult can I say that identifying which of them deserve it is not so. There's respect, and there's faking it, and if the latter pollutes your former, due either to maliciousness or an inability to control yourself, then you're not mature, and you're not premiere, and I'd be quite content to see you post elsewhere, regardless of how much I otherwise like you.
                              Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X