Most challenging video game moments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most challenging video game moments

This thread will be to discuss the most challenging video games and or the most challenging levels or missions on a video game.

I predict that many will come from the 1980s.

Enjoy
    (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
    (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
    (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
    Squad Leader pledge to their team:
    Commander pledge to their SL:

Re: Most challenging video game moments

I do not have much time, but the first that comes to mind is NES BattleToads. Early 90s.
    I actually found YouTube footage of this. Check it out minute 1:24!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIYZgOpXCwQ

Tough, tough game in general.

I remember the second or third level you had to get on these hover scooters and go through this course. It took weeks to get through that.

Another was getting Gold on the Laguna Seca Dodge Viper lap. (G.T. III) PS2 2001

I actually thought I was good until I tried to post Gold there.

For a good two weeks (hours of trying) I was always at least two tenths off.

The problem was my driving style. I like to be smooth with the car and keep it sound throughout the race. The problem with that is that at Laguna, the track demands that you really man/woman handle the car around the track.

To get Gold, I needed to start the “drift” (going through a turn and slightly sliding the car in a controlled manner) is something I never did. This needed to be done on turns 1 and the final turn. Once I did this I beat the ghost car.

I found some video, but it is low quality. How they got gold is behind me with their style of driving.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=2uehS_1GsQU

More to come later.
    Last edited by Rick_the_new_guy; 01-01-2007, 04:19 PM.

Comment

The first time I FINALLY got to kill a "Metal Slime" in Dragon Warrior. Damn thing always ran with 1 hp left!!!!
      Battlefield 2: Battlefield 2142: WoW: Oblivion: NWN2

Comment

Originally posted by Revark View Post
        The first time I FINALLY got to kill a "Metal Slime" in Dragon Warrior. Damn thing always ran with 1 hp left!!!!
        :D I had forgotten about that game. Those things were tough!

Comment

I have vague memories of having a ridiculously difficult time completing the final dungeon in Zelda: Link to the Past. They really should re-make that game in 3D.

One of the weapon monsters in FF7. They were kind of throw in as a challenge that had nothing to do with beating the game. Ya basically had to develop a sequence of attacks that would not fail for an hour. I only beat one of them (the one in the desert). The underwater one is impossible as far as im concerned.

Comment

I watched a friend beat the underwater one (you have to get some item that takes the time limit away)......but he couldnt beat the desert one.

My most challenging moment in gaming history was to not throw the controller when I played E.T. for atari.

Comment

Original Ghost Recon. Can't remember the mission name, but the one where your team has to hold off an advancing Russian force, including 2 tanks as it passes under a train trestle. Having to send a fire team up each flank to pick off patrols on each side, and still having enough firepower to stop the advance. wow! This was the mission that truly opened my eyes to tactical shooter. Having played Rainbow 6, Rogue Spear, and Urban Ops were the first chapter... but this one mission in GR changed everything for me from then on.

Man... when I finally won with no friendly casualties, I knew I'd achieved something. Of course, doesn't seem so tough nowadays... but in it's day, that was a brutal, educating mission.

Comment

Oh no, Oh no. The game, right here, right now is Ninja Gaiden NES 1988.

Really hard game. I actually had to set it down for over a year and come back to it. I told myself, no way I do not beat this before i get the next title.

The biggest Challenge was the Final Boss.

Here is the Introduction: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rkaiKYEkDQ

Here is a walk through: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6IAx...elated&search=
                How this person did this so easily is beyond me because it was hard for nine and ten year old.

Comment

The final dungeon in Ultima 4. You had to do a huge amount of prep before you could venture into the dungeon at all, and if you didn't know your way, you were unlikely to survive. I'm sure it took at least a week of daily attempts before I got to the final question, and I didn't know the answer.

I loved it, and did eventually find the answer.
                  Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

I think they're using some sort of program that assists them.

Comment

Roger that davie.

Many will laugh at this one, but it was challenge for me.

NES Legend of Zelda.

The part when Link needed to navigate through the mysterious forest.
                      You had to know the exact direction to take.

It required you to atcaully take notes on what you were doing to get the right headings, or network with others. So Legend of Zelda was on of the first social games, J.K.

Comment

Originally posted by icky View Post
                        The final dungeon in Ultima 4. You had to do a huge amount of prep before you could venture into the dungeon at all, and if you didn't know your way, you were unlikely to survive. I'm sure it took at least a week of daily attempts before I got to the final question, and I didn't know the answer.

I loved it, and did eventually find the answer.
                        This game was amazing in general. I eventually found a way to make it easy...not a cheat, but just a thing I figured out one day that brought me basically unlimited money, which brought incredible character advancement opportunity. If you still play from time to time, PM me and I'll share.
                        ---
                        Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

Being Bommando's medic.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
                          |TG-2nd|munchkin
                          Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Being on any CS map against Zebra, as I recall.
                            ---
                            Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

Under appreciated game, even in it's time, but still tough as nails...NES's Solomon's Key. Man that game was hard...never even beat it!
                              | | |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X