World War Z

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World War Z

Has anyone read this book? It's blowing my mind. It's also making me afraid of rabies.
    A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Re: World War Z

I read it a month or two ago......I loved it. Its not the greatest fiction novel ever but the style (oral accounts of a a fictional even) was a great read.

I also read Max Brooks other book, "The Zombie Survival Guide"

Good stuff!!

Comment

Got any other fiction recommendations, freeky? I'll be done with WWZ today or tomorrow.
      A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

Comment

Well, being a huge fan of Warhammer 40k I found a really good sci-fi/war author named Dan Abnett.......his "Guants Ghosts" novels have entertained me for a while. And anything written by Graham Mcneill is worth reading.

Other than that a lot of my reading interest circles around clever horror.
        Stephen King
        H.P.lovecraft
        and more recently.. (and a really good find) Joe Lansdale

If zombies are your thing check out a Lansdale novella called "Dead in the West" and the graphic novel called "The Walking Dead" by Robert Kirkman.
        Both very well written and full 'o' brain eatin' action.

Comment

No, I usually never read two books from the same genre/author. So no more zombies :]

Comment

I second freekyE's 40K recomendations. The Gaunt's Ghost are a great read, and they are up to 9 novels now. Also good reading from the same publisher, along the same vein are the "Horus Heresy" novels. Three are currently in print (Horus Rising, False Gods, Galaxy in Flames) with a fourth being published March 27, 07 (Flight of the Eisenstein)
            |TG-Irr|HatefullSix

If at first you don't succeed, you need more firepower.

There is nothing wrong with feeling something when you shoot your enemies... as long as that something is recoil.

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
              No, I usually never read two books from the same genre/author. So no more zombies :]
              Pardon my shock...but, Why not? If an author/genre pleases you why not read more?

Comment

Originally posted by HatefullSix View Post
                I second freekyE's 40K recomendations. The Gaunt's Ghost are a great read, and they are up to 9 novels now. Also good reading from the same publisher, along the same vein are the "Horus Heresy" novels. Three are currently in print (Horus Rising, False Gods, Galaxy in Flames) with a fourth being published March 27, 07 (Flight of the Eisenstein)
                Oh yeah, Ive read the first two Horus heresy novels. Awesome for those of us who have always wondered about the ledgendary times of Horus and The Emperor.

How was the third one compared to those?

Comment

Just started the third one actually. Ben Counter seems to have a similar writing style to Dan Abnett & Graham Mcneil, but with his own little tweeks, so the three books seem to flow well together. From what I've read so far, it still follows Loken and the Sons of Horus, further chronicalling Horus' betrayal (main battles with loyal forces), with characters such as Kharn The Betrayer being introduced.

I can't stand waiting, plus, I already know the general history of the Horus Heresy, so I flipped to the last paragraph and checked it out. Now, I don't want to spoil anything, but after reading it, and knowing what book four is about, I'd say this series is going to be atleast five books long.

P.S.: After reading a small sample of WWZ on chapters.ca, I went out and bought it tonight. I'll start it as soon as I'm done Galaxy in Flames.
                  Last edited by HatefullSix; 01-06-2007, 01:41 AM. Reason: Additional content
                  |TG-Irr|HatefullSix

If at first you don't succeed, you need more firepower.

There is nothing wrong with feeling something when you shoot your enemies... as long as that something is recoil.

Comment

Oh yeah, for all you who dont know what "World War Z" is about.

It is the oral account from a selection of survivors of the first world war against zombies. Zombies rise (like in romeros movies) and nearly exterminate the entire human race and this is the story of how humanity fought back.

I nearly bought Galaxy in flames the other day but remembered I have 2 Gaunts ghosts novels sitting here unread. Im reading "Straight Silver" right now and just finished "Double Eagle" (If you like sci-fi and war aviation pick this one up its right up your alley)

The ghosts are tough hombres but space marines....whooo wee do they kick rear.

Anyone out there have any suggestions for newer sci-fi or horror? Say, written in the last 5 years. (I love older sci-fi but Ive read most of the best of it)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X