Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FCC needs a leash ?

Why ??

"We prank-called a head of state in a country that is considered hostile to the United States. He's a violator of human rights and they're fining us $4,000," Santos said on Tuesday. "We just find it absurd."
    Right on !! Me thinks the FCC needs a lot shorter leash than it has....

Re: FCC needs a leash ?

and that "hostile" leadercould get ticked at the us as a whole and kill 100's of americans....... its not nice to tease the bears....... one day they might get out.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG=
      and that "hostile" leadercould get ticked at the us as a whole and kill 100's of americans....... its not nice to tease the bears....... one day they might get out.
      This may be, but it's not the FCC's place to gag people that want to make a phonecall to someone in another country.

Although a prank call may not be the best issue to take a stand on, this is definitely a free speech issue. What if it had been a legitimate phonecall from a cuban-rights group in Florida? Would the FCC have the right to keep them from talking to Fidel?

Have any of the other famous prank call morning show hosts been fined? The Jerky Boys? What about Crankers Yankers (or whatever it's called)? I think every morning show has prank called someone on the air at some point in their career... I don't see the need for the FCC to "protect" the US from prank calls.
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by phyllis
        Why ??
        Right on !! Me thinks the FCC needs a lot shorter leash than it has....
        From what I've read and heard, it's not the fact that they called someone in Cuba or Castro himself. If they were calling Joe Blow down the street, the broke an FCC rule by broadcasting the recording w/o informing the person being called. That's illegal, someone complained about it and they were busted.

Granted, the fact that it was Castro brought more attention to it, but it sounds like they're trying to twist the charges since they have the public ear and they're "David" fighting Goliath (FCC).
        |TG-12th| asch
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by asch
          From what I've read and heard, it's not the fact that they called someone in Cuba or Castro himself. If they were calling Joe Blow down the street, the broke an FCC rule by broadcasting the recording w/o informing the person being called. That's illegal, someone complained about it and they were busted.
          I understand that technically that's the reason they're being fined. But no other radio show has been fined for broadcasting prank calls (that I know of). There are radio shows that are entirely based around prank calling people and businesses. This is a political move, not a legal one... If these DJs had prank called Fidel's Authentic Cubano Restaurant in Miami, I'd be willing to bet money that they would not have been fined.
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
            I understand that technically that's the reason they're being fined. But no other radio show has been fined for broadcasting prank calls (that I know of). There are radio shows that are entirely based around prank calling people and businesses. This is a political move, not a legal one... If these DJs had prank called Fidel's Authentic Cubano Restaurant in Miami, I'd be willing to bet money that they would not have been fined.
            I agree. I don't know if it being Castro though vs. any other highly visible public figure. If it was someone here in the states or over in Europe, I would expect the same results. I think some people are attaching too much to it being Cuba / Castro than it really is.
            |TG-12th| asch
            sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...