X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Jobs says no third party software on iPhone

Category: Miscellaneous
    Submitted By: Apophis

"We define everything that is on the phone," he said. "You don't want your phone to be like a PC. The last thing you want is to have loaded three apps on your phone and then you go to make a call and it doesn't work anymore. These are more like iPods than they are like computers."
    See article on TacticalNews.com...
    Last edited by Apophis; 01-12-2007, 11:29 AM.

Re: Steve Jobs says no third party software on iPhone

Steve is such a good daddy. I love him so. He thinks for me so I don't have to. He does this because like any good daddy he knows exactly what I need. (And doesn't really care for what I want.)

Thank you daddy Steve.
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

LOL.. I usually install VERY few third party apps on my phones. But there are always one or two I end up wanting. It's actually a shame because I think the iPhone has the capability of supporting some REALLY cool third party apps!

In reading the article, I noticed Cingular (AT&T) was concerned about a rogue app taking down their network? That makes me wonder about the overall security of the phone and network itself if a single rogue app could have the capability of taking down that large a portion of their network.
      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Even the Ipod can be made to run Linux:
        http://ipodlinux.org/Main_Page
        Retired 6th DB

Comment

I think they should change the name to the 'iSnob'

Comment

You guys need to vote on those articles while you're there! Slackers!

Comment

You're not the boss of me, and the iPhone isn't Jobs's name to give. Cisco wants their intellectual property back. Should be fun to watch.

Comment

Speaking of Cisco and the iPhone trademark suit. Mark Chandler, General Counsel for Cisco, wrote and interesting bit on his blog regarding the suit.

Update on Cisco's iPhone Trademark

Comment

Nice. I've also been paying attention to Mr. Job's $7.5 in illegal stock options and falsified meeting notes, and all Apple's backdated, illegal stock options in general. They seem to have developed a culture of entitlement there lately.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
                    In reading the article, I noticed Cingular (AT&T) was concerned about a rogue app taking down their network? That makes me wonder about the overall security of the phone and network itself if a single rogue app could have the capability of taking down that large a portion of their network.
                    Do you really wonder? As an insider, I can tell you that this doesn't surprise me in the least. Large chunks of software tend to have some remarkable holes. :)

Motorola once released a mobile which had a bug capable of taking out entire cell sites. I can't remember the details, but it was something to do with an accidentally malformed message. There was someone wandering around with this phone and whenever they started using it, radios (in cell sites) started crashing.
                    Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Originally posted by icky View Post
                      Do you really wonder? As an insider, I can tell you that this doesn't surprise me in the least. Large chunks of software tend to have some remarkable holes. :)

Motorola once released a mobile which had a bug capable of taking out entire cell sites. I can't remember the details, but it was something to do with an accidentally malformed message. There was someone wandering around with this phone and whenever they started using it, radios (in cell sites) started crashing.
                      Well, let me paraphrase.. It makes me wonder what attack vectors I should consider once I get my hands on one of these iPhones. :icon_cool

I did assume that there were better controls in the wireless industry and that this type of stuff wouldn't be as much of a concern as it actually seems to be.

Comment

Cringely has some interesting views on the goings-on with the Apple Phone..
                        Battlefield Admin() ()
                        [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                        [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                        | for | |

Comment

Originally posted by perry View Post
                          Cringely has some interesting views on the goings-on with the Apple Phone..
                          That was a VERY interesting article.. Great read.. +rep

Comment

Apo, for some reason I'm getting the following error when I try to vote. I'm using Firefox, and have never run into this before.

Not Found

The requested URL /62bbcb4ed385060ce2315f3bbf3cce46 was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
                            "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                            He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X