Who else does this stuff?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who else does this stuff?

I know sarc and H-hour do, but there any other 3-d modeler folks around?

It's taking a while for me to get the hang of, but the on-line tutorials/classes over @ 3dbuzz are really cool...

The first assignment is taking me a while...

(so far)

still need to add a bunch of stuff.... bookshelf, books, nother pen/pencil.... oi...

Edit:added some stuff, more to go...

Anyone else?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by fr1j0l3; 05-01-2004, 04:42 PM.

Re: Who else does this stuff?

Hmmm....gonna have to go take a look at this :)

Comment

I do 3d solid modellling for work to program machines for measuring complex shapes.
      A good simple one to try out and learn is Rhino3d.

This is more for mechanical 3d design, than for 3d graphics, but they both follow similar principles.

Are you interestes in mechanical design, or graphics?
      Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
      Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

I'm trying my hand at creating some models for use in GR (and possibly other games)

Comment

I don't know much about that stuff. Even with some experience in 3d solid modelling I was at a loss when I tried mapping in GR with the built in map editor. They approach it from a very awkward way of modelling in my opinion.
          Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.

Comment

Maybe you had problems because GR doesn't have a built-in map editor. It only has a mission editor and some other features that make it easier to create kits, weapons, characters, etc. For making maps, you need to use 3D Studio Max.

If you guys are having any trouble, we can go over it over TS. I'm sure we can get H in on it when he gets back in town, too.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I'm back! Looks awesome frij! I can't get on TS for another couple days, but if you want, I can give you some private feedback on each image you send me, and also I can talk to you about some GR-specific restrictions or recommendations for building models and stuff. Depending on if you want to go the vehicle/weapon/object route or the level design route, me or Sarc could probably walk you through the actual construction of something we've done.
              [volun]

Comment

Heres some 3D stuff I have done

http://www.acuwebservices.com/ac/sandrail.jpg

http://www.acuwebservices.com/ac/1.jpg

http://www.acuwebservices.com/ac/SPIDERandTANKS3.jpg

http://www.acuwebservices.com/ac/LRP13c.jpg

I'd really like to learn more about making maps, models and textures for games too. I think it would be cool to make your own mod. I also have some marketing ideas that I could make happen with that knowledge.

I like your office model its looking real cool, the only thing I can suggest,( and I think this is the key to 3D looking good) is putting some realistic textures on stuff. It will completely change the way your pic looks for the better.
                Last edited by Cap; 05-02-2004, 03:03 PM.

ACU Web| | |

Comment

Yeah... I'll try the textures later.. for now, the assignment requires I use only standard primitives, and no textures.. ;)

Hurry back H.. stay safe bro. :)

Comment

I have dabbled but haven't had teh time to really become proficient.
                    "they're more like guidelines, than actual rules,"....Captain Barbossa - Pirates of the Caribbean

Comment

I'd swear it had some kind of a level editor, maybe I'm confusing the mission editor with something else.

I have 3dsmax and I tried some online tutorials as well and it seemed way too much of a pain in the arse compared to the mechanical design software I've used in the past. I tried editing the castle map and it should have been easy but was just way too awkward.

I also tried editing them in Rhino3d due to it being a NURBS based design software, and having a 3dsmax translator in and out, and it just didn't like anything I did.

I gave up...

Comment

You'd need to somehow convert the NURBS to poly's to use it in Ghost Recon. I haven't worked with Rhino much so I don't know how well that would work, but I can imagine a lot of problems. Editing the Castle map that is included would be a pretty complicated task if you're not very familiar with the 3DSM interface. Just too much information, too many poly's and too many objects to easily disseminate unless you know how each aspect works.

If you wanted to try again Ghost, get Mike Schell's tutorial (this goes for you too Frij, if you haven't seen it). It starts from the very beginning and teaches you the basics of getting something functional output to Ghost Recon.

Mike Schell's Tutorial
                        [volun]

Comment

Yeah, there's definitely a big difference between NURBS modeling and using polys. I've never used NURBS but the technique is vastly different from what I've read and seen. There's also many techniques to poly modeling and it ends up being what is comfortable for you. Unfortunately, games don't use NURBS so you have to learn about polys.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X