Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Woman dies while trying to win a Nintendo Wii!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woman dies while trying to win a Nintendo Wii!

http://www.tacticalnews.com/shakeit....coming&order=1

I'm still amazed that people don't know that water intoxication is so deadly...
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: Woman dies while trying to win a Nintendo Wii!

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
    http://www.tacticalnews.com/shakeit....coming&order=1

I'm still amazed that people don't know that water intoxication is so deadly...
    I'm not, but the problem for the station is that apparently they knew it since a Nurse called in to tell them. So they can't deny that they knew the risk.

What amazes me is how little it takes. I've spent hours outside working only to come in and chug the bulk of a 2 liter bottle without giving it a second thought. In some situations, even that can be dangerous.

Comment

Wow, horrible story...

You know what is amazing? With all our technology and collective intelligence, we do things today that a caveman would not do.

1. Little exercise and very little movement with our white color jobs.
      2. Eat loads and loads of sugar and toxic foods. (Granted they would if they could process it)
      3. Purposely overeat at these hotdog eating contests and vomit it back up later.
      4. Purposely poison ourselves with alcohol all the while knowing the affects.
      5. Purposely drinking loads and loads of water, and holding back the emptying of the bladder.

I think we need to get back to the fundamentals that got us here by using our super big brains and becoming more naturalistic.
      (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
      (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
      (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
      Squad Leader pledge to their team:
      Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

Originally posted by Iamthefallen View Post

What amazes me is how little it takes. I've spent hours outside working only to come in and chug the bulk of a 2 liter bottle without giving it a second thought. In some situations, even that can be dangerous.
        2 litre is safe for a healthy grownup person. The problem arises if you are low on electrolytes(commonly referred to as salts - not to be confused with saline(alone)). In effect too much water dillutes the contents of bodys content of this and your system shuts down. This is the hearts stops beating due to signalling problems.

Now if you work very hard in prolonged periods be sure to eat and get enough fluids. For healthy grownups this is enough.
        --
        VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

I don't think that the radio station should be the "bad ones" here. Your right they did know the risks, they told the peopl "Don't put your health at risk". It's a sad thing already people don't need to go pointing fingers to blame.

Comment

It is a sad story...Wonder if the family will try and sue the adio Station or it's parent company with the deeper pockets?

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Comment

The DJs definitely knew of the risks, they even joked about it during the competition.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/newsroom/kdndslides/

Key line: "Maybe we should have researched this, hahaha"

Radio station also fires 10 people

If they knew the risks, and then downplayed them by saying "you'll just throw up if you drink too much", how can they not be liable?

Comment

Originally posted by Quest Shady View Post
                It is a sad story...Wonder if the family will try and sue the adio Station or it's parent company with the deeper pockets?
                Of course they will!! Isn't that the American thing to do?
                birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

Actually I'd think this is the kind of situation where people deserve to have the ability to sue....
                  -Zephyr
                  You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
                  We are not a single game.
                  We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
                  We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

Just because they have a disclaimer about the health risks doesn't mean they aren't legally responsible. If they are found to be reckless or grossly negligent, then they bear legal responsibility for the death whether or not participants signed waivers or they have disclaimers. Waivers and disclaimers don't provide a complete shield from legal responsibility.

Just listening to the recording linked by Fallen, it certainly sounds like the woman's family stand some chance of winning a legal case.

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                      Just because they have a disclaimer about the health risks doesn't mean they aren't legally responsible. If they are found to be reckless or grossly negligent, then they bear legal responsibility for the death whether or not participants signed waivers or they have disclaimers. Waivers and disclaimers don't provide a complete shield from legal responsibility.

Just listening to the recording linked by Fallen, it certainly sounds like the woman's family stand some chance of winning a legal case.
                      I think they have an excellent case, and I'm kinda surprised no criminal charges will be filed. They were obviously aware that it was dangerous, and chose to both ignore the risk, and here's the kicker, lie about the consequences:

"If it gets dangerous for somebody, their body will automatically throw it up"

A nurse calls in to say:
                      Caller: "Those people that are drinking all that water, can get sick and possibly die from water intoxication"
                      DJ#1: "Yeah we're aware of that"
                      DJ#2: "They signed releases so we're not responsible, it's OK"
                      DJ#1"And if they get to the point where they have to throw up, they're gonna throw up and they're out of the contest before they die, so that's good right?"

Jennifer, the deceased, comes on:
                      DJ#1: "Jennifer I hear you're not doing too well"
                      Jennifer: "My head hurts, they keep telling me it's the water, it'll tell my head to hurt, and it'll make me puke, but I don't..."
                      DJ#1: *interrupts* "Who told you that, the intern?"
                      Jennifer: "Like, it kinda, it ...hurts, but it makes you lightheaded so I'm not sure if I'm just like..."
                      DJ#1: *interrupts* "This is what it feels like when you're drowning, there's a lot of water inside of you"
                      Jennifer: "Oh, it hurts"

So they knew about the risks, created a dangerous competition, failed to do research beforehand, downplayed the dangers, provided inaccurate medical advice to the contestants (You'll throw up before it gets dangerous, don't worry, your body can handle it, it's just water), and finally failed to provide any form of assistance when it became apparent that contestants weren't feeling well as a result of the competition.

She might've lost the Wii, but I think the family will win a radio station.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X