China destroys orbiting satellite with missle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China destroys orbiting satellite with missle

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- China last week successfully used a missile to destroy an orbiting satellite, U.S. government officials told CNN on Thursday, in a test that could undermine relations with the West and pose a threat to satellites important to the U.S. military.

According to a spokesman for the National Security Council, the ground-based, medium-range ballistic missile knocked an old Chinese weather satellite from its orbit about 537 miles above Earth. The missile carried a "kill vehicle" and destroyed the satellite by ramming it.

The test took place on January 11.
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/space/0...ile/index.html

This was only a matter of time, really. Hopefully this doesn't start another space race, although we could just borrow the money from the Chinese to pay for it.
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Re: China destroys orbiting satellite with missle

Interesting development but not totally unexpected. The US military is driven off of real time information, be it from satelite pictures, GPS coordinates, etc... So the great equalizer is to find a way to severely hamper our ability to gather information and in war time, that's got to be more effective then what they have been doing in the past.

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?F=2121111

Lucky Shot

Comment

That may be the case, but isnt there something in the Geneva Convention about banning weapons in outer space? Satellite images, GPS, etc probably wouldnt fall under "weapon" though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bommando
        I don't quite understand the problem. China is not allowed to develop weapon technology?

Seems like another case of "it's OK for us, but it's not OK for you." Yes, I did read the whole article and Bush is full of crap. It's not about keeping space safe, it's about keeping space American.
        We aren't saying they aren't allowed to. We're just recognizing the fact that the more impressive the weaponry that the Chinese have available, the harder it will be for the US should any direct conflict break out.

Obviously we're all better off if there IS no direct conflict, but military planners cant afford to bet on that possibility. They have to assume there will be a conflict eventually and figure out how to win it. And thats why they're worried about anti-satellite capabilities, because the US military is so heavily reliant on satellites.

----------
        So why are the diplomats complaining? For the same reason diplomats from every other country complain whenever we talk about developing Missile Shield systems. Part of a diplomats job is to slow down the military development of the opponents whenever possible. None of them can ever make an honest case that a Nation doesn't have a right to develop such-and-such a system (though they might try anyway), but they can and will complain all day about how it destabilizes the world political balance.

Comment

I'm not particularly thrilled China has this capability, because it could completely reinvigorate the "Star Wars" program that kind of went lax after the USSR went to pieces and the threats subsided. If the Chinese can knock our satellites out of orbit, well then we will no longer have that all-seeing ability that we've become accustomed to in modern spy movies/war films.

It's a real bummer for the U.S. really, all those missiles, bombers, and troops would have no idea where the enemy is without their satellites backing them up.

Course I'm sure we'll just escalate the whole shebang by upgrading our satellites, which will then be put at risk by some NEW Chinese missile, which will lead to the NEW U.S. missile, which will lead to a NEW Chinese satellite, and so on and so on...

Until we're finally faced with a mineshaft gap.

-Zephyr
          You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
          We are not a single game.
          We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
          We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

Seems like another case of "it's OK for us, but it's not OK for you." Yes, I did read the whole article and Bush is full of crap. It's not about keeping space safe, it's about keeping space American.
            It's all a normal part of diplomatic relations.

But every spin contains a certain amount of truth, and the fact is that space IS safer if fewer people have the means to start a fight there. Thankfully, technology like that is expensive and complex enough that it will be a long time before Somalian rebels are picking off satellites.

Let's face it, though. Other countries can fund terrorist bombers, they can attack embassies, they can throw long-range missiles around, but the day they shoot down a satellite which is carrying my favourite tv channels, the gloves are off.
            Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

I don't quite understand the problem. China is not allowed to develop weapon technology?

I'd agree. Space should be a weapons neutral environment. The world does not need another arms race.
              |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
              "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
              - Check me out on The Onion
              - I'm on the local news!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFatKidDeath View Post
                I'd agree. Space should be a weapons neutral environment. The world does not need another arms race.
                Dream on. If you want a weapons neutral environment, you need to make sure it has no value and no valuables. That isn't going to happen with space, so you can be 100% positive that people will fight over it eventually.
                Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Originally posted by icky View Post
                  Dream on. If you want a weapons neutral environment, you need to make sure it has no value and no valuables. That isn't going to happen with space, so you can be 100% positive that people will fight over it eventually.
                  Having a neutral weapons environment is perhaps one dream. The other dream is the development of a weapons system that can protect a country from ballistic missles i.e. "Star Wars".

Which dream is more realistic and has a chance of reducing the threat of incoming missles?

Well, we know that negotitations, treaties, pacts and agreements, however flawed have profound effect in reducing the threat of high tech weapons systems.

Additionally, we know the record of a "Star Wars" type program which the Americans and now the Chinese seem to be pursuing. It's a failure by any measure.

Personally, I would pursue the program that has a chance of working. Signing a treaty or sinking trillions into a weapons system that cannot even hit an incoming dummy missle. The choice is clear.
                  Last edited by TheFatKidDeath; 01-19-2007, 11:28 AM.
                  |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
                  - I'm on the local news!

Comment

Any country that wants to play with the big boys must bring the big guns to the negotiating table to be taken seriously.

Comment

Personally, I would pursue the program that has a chance of working. Signing a treaty or sinking trillions into a weapons system that cannot even hit an incoming dummy missle. The choice is clear.
                      Perfectly clear. Weapons system it is then. :)

Comment

I think the real concern is...who will China sell this technology to?
                        | | |

Comment

You're right. That's a no-brainer. I think I need to buy stock in Lockheed and General Dynamics.
                          Become a supporting member!
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                            You're right. That's a no-brainer. I think I need to buy stock in Lockheed and General Dynamics.
                            I'm not understanding your statement. Why would an investor want to invest money into a company that is developing a product that will never work?
                            |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
                            - I'm on the local news!

Comment

I'm not understanding your statement. Why would an investor want to invest money into a company that is developing a product that will never work?
                              First of all, you're mistaken about our missile defense systems. Secondly, regardless of whether it works or not, we're a brazillian times more likely to pursue that option than to achieve peace on Earth or space or where ever else you want to discuss.
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X