Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spanking Ban?!!

http://www.nationalledger.com/artman...72611110.shtml

Democratic California Assemblywoman Sally Lieber has announced that she will introduce a bill this week to make it a crime to spank children who are 3 years old or younger, punishable by up to a year in jail or a $1,000 fine. If this zany idea were to become law, California could be the place where the nanny state meets the authoritarian state.
    Are you kidding me? To ban spanking of a child is like baning pop becuase it tastes good, doesnt make sence. I do how ever understand the difference between abuse and spanking. Maybe instead of the government doing the parenting maybe parents should do that? Im gonna be following this one closely. I was spanked growing up but i understand why now and its done alot for my behavoir. Alot of kids today could really use a good spanking, especailly in wal-mart.

Nothing like standing there waiting and thinking if you put your hand back just in time it wont hurt, or she (mom) wouldnt do it, and then getting red knuckles.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Re: Spanking Ban?!!

This belongs in the Sandbox?
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

its not in the sandbox.....i dint feel it needed to be in there. But thanks for helping contribute to the discussion of this topic
      -Vulcan

Comment

I feel like I have read this someweres else before...

I would not endorse her bill.

Not saying that spanking is the right thing to do, but I like to give more options to the individual/parent went it comes to raising their kid, not the Feds.
        IMO,spanking, when done right can be a good disciplinary tool.
        (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
        (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
        (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
        Squad Leader pledge to their team:
        Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

I remember being spanked when I was 2 years old, and I turned out just fine (so I'd like to think...). The 'spanker' just needs to use common sense when dishing it out on the 'spankee'.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

My 4yr old gets a good 'ol spanking on his behind every once in a while, and he's seems just fine to me. I personally believe it's more about the "act" of spanking that gets the message across more than the force of the spank. He knows when he gets a crack on his tush he was not behaving appropriately, and he usually knows when he's been behaving in such a way that the spank may be forthcoming if he continues. The amount of force I use when I spank him is less than the force I use when we are play fighting/wrestling. But, when playfighting all I get is laughs, with a spank (only one is ever needed), I get tears.

I think he knows that when he gets spanked, he went past the threshold of acceptable behaviour. The next time he begins acting in such a way, he normally stops well short of a spank.
            |TG-Irr|HatefullSix

If at first you don't succeed, you need more firepower.

There is nothing wrong with feeling something when you shoot your enemies... as long as that something is recoil.

Comment

They just don't want you body slamming your kid in public. If it cant wait, and your kids showing off. Just give a nice inconspicuous smack before you can get down an dirty in the car. lol

I think the state should regulate parenting. I think you should have to take a test and acquire a license before you can have a kid. My barber is required to have a damn license. Parenting is the hardest and most important job there is and there are just too many stupid people breeding.

just my 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
                They just don't want you body slamming your kid in public. If it cant wait, and your kids showing off. Just give a nice inconspicuous smack before you can get down an dirty in the car. lol

I think the state should regulate parenting. I think you should have to take a test and acquire a license before you can have a kid. My barber is required to have a damn license. Parenting is the hardest and most important job there is and there are just too many stupid people breeding.

just my 2 cents
                You bring up an intersting and debate worthy topic. Sordavie talked about this onthis Thread: Raising Children, The Greatest Responsibility; post numba 23: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/sandbox...nsibility.html

"By the way, my friend's dissertation topic is whether we ought to license parents. His conclusion is that we should. He's pretty far to the right, politically, too, which seems odd to me. But his basic idea is this, we (the government--he's libertarian too, which makes this sound more crazy) should sterilize everybody at birth and unsterilize them if they can pass a parenting exam (on the assumption that we can reliably sterilize people at birth and then unsterilize them later). Those who do not pass the exam cannot have children until they pass. Who will fail these exams? Just the extreme cases. Those who have all of the pre-parent indications of being a bad parent.

There actually are numerous studies on what these indications are. Surprisingly, many bad kids have parents who easily provide for their families materially, who make lots of money. It happens that in making lots of money, they spend little to no time with their kids, paying very little attention to them. That, according to the studies, is a big bad parenting contributor to bad kids.

I think this is a crazy idea, but it's hard to pinpoint just what's wrong with the idea. If licensing parents will contribute to a much better society, then it's good. Does it infringe on people's rights? Actually, not so clear. Not so clear that bringing kids into society is one's "god given right." Anyhow, interesting idea. According to my friend, a good half of non-philosophy people he questions says licensing parents is a good idea. I don't think he mentions the sterilization part at that point, but that's detatchable from his main idea. What do you guys think?"

I like the cut of your jibe Hambergler, but my philosophy is to put more options and responsiblity to the individual and less laws to make sure they are behaiving o.k.

However,
                I have a bill on the books that would require personal trainers to have a lincence, if you consider my bill, I'll consider yours.

BTW, I believe personal trainers could be the best solution to America's health care crisis. I like how more and more universities (Harvard) are making Personal Trainer four year degress more common place, too bad there are loads and loads of "personal trainers" on the market with crummy internet certifications that suck hard core and hurt our potintial.
                (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
                (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
                (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
                Squad Leader pledge to their team:
                Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

Smacking children of any age is completely banned in England. As usual, the extremists have got their way. If you want to properly discipline your child here, you're automatically assumed to think it's cool to beat children to death. You probably want a CCW permit so that you can murder people too, and have all sorts of other subversive and devient character flaws.

When they brought the ban in, they cited statistical evidence from some country where child abuse deaths had decreased after a similar law was brought in. They ignored somewhere like Sweden(?) where a similar law saw child abuse deaths INCREASE.

People laugh at me when I tell them I want to claim political assylum in the US. They should try living under the oppressive laws in this country first.
                  BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

yeah as if our nations youth needs less discipline. (and this is coming from a youngling)
                    Current member of the

Comment

I'm really getting pissed off at this nanny state crap. If I want to smack my kid around after blowing cigar smoke in his face then that's my God-given right as a parent.

Comment

Originally posted by thebleakaffinity View Post
                        I'm really getting pissed off at this nanny state crap. If I want to smack my kid around after blowing cigar smoke in his face then that's my God-given right as a parent.
                        Yes and that qualifies as child abuse. Really doesnt say much for your parenting after that comment
                        -Vulcan

Comment

"Child abuse" is just one of those buzzwords you bleeding hearts like to throw around, like "torture" or "habeas corpus."

Comment

So we've clearly got the A) Hey I want to do what I want to do with my kids around versus B) I want the state to tell me what I can't do with my kids around.

So the big question is: Does the constitution of the United States ensure the right of the government to prevent individuals in their daily lives from spanking their children under grounds that it causes them harm? If not, is such a law unconstitutional?

-Zephyr
                            You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
                            We are not a single game.
                            We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
                            We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

Originally posted by Zephyr View Post
                              Does the constitution of the United States ensure the right of the government to prevent individuals in their daily lives from spanking their children under grounds that it causes them harm? If not, is such a law unconstitutional?
                              Definitely no to the first one. Probably no to the second one.

The Constitution obviously makes no mention of reserving state's rights to restrict the discipline of children on ANY grounds.

Whether or not such a law would be contrary to the Constitution would depend on one's interpretation of various amendments, especially the 4th, 9th and 10th.
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X