• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dragon skin armor...

pretty cool... stops an AK 47 round...

http://dsc.discovery.com/beyond/?dci...b7be299c4e3ae4
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: dragon skin armor...

i seen that episode and was blown away. They even took a fragmentation grenade and put a dummy with this "skin" directly on top and blew it up. The damage to the vest was amazing but the dummy had no scratches on him, but they really did not say what kind of rib or organ damage you would get from doing that.

The whole idea behind the armour is multiply disks of some mixture that wasn't just ceramic. The one plate if hit is basically done, but with multiple disks about a 2inchs in diameter are more mobile and take more damage because they over lap.

Really cool to see
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Yeah that stuff looks incredible. I watched that last night. The clip stops where he unloads the AK, M16, and the 9mm smg into it, there may have been a 4th gun, it wasn't very clear. there was no penetration to the body of the dummy. I have no clue what the actual damage would be from the impact.

The grenade section was equally impressive. The nade had no penetration to the actual dummy, the armor was gone, but the tummy wasn't. I am sure there would have been substantial damage to ones person after this if not instant death, but it would have a better chance at stopping it than the stuff our troops wear today.

Comment

That clip was shown on future weapons monday night, which is a great show. But there was not a 4th weapon in the clip, could have been they could have done a .50 or 44mag just to show its range.

Id like to see some comparisons in price and adapibility. The stuff soldiers have now is all formed to add and take out/off packs or clips. Im sure that company has more things in the works to help make it like what they have now.
        -Vulcan

Comment

Right I wasn't sure if there was 4 guns, I only watched the episode once and my son was crying so I didn't catch all the guns, but the number of bullets it stopped with no damage to the dummy was insane. I do want to know its weight, the smallest peices of it they could make, and if they could make joint coverage with similar stopping power. Going to go watch the episode again here in a little while. Discovered this show last weekend, going to be one of the only things I watch on a regular basis.

Comment

Future Weapons is great. Last week they had a sniper rifle that had very little recoil and was accurate at 2,000 yards (more then a mile).

Comment

Yeah that was the episode I managed to catch, I have the "In Demand" thing on my Cox service so I was bored and nothing else was on so I tried it heh, glad I did.

Comment

I am not trying to rain on anybodies parade, but the armor has never passed any government test for Level IV protection, only level III+. The body armor is cumbersome and extremely heavy compared with current technologies that are far superior. All this and the politics surrounding it, will cause it to never see the light of day on a soldier in the near future.
                "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Thats some sick stuff.
                  |TG-Irr|TanithGhost
                  100 pixels height is too small people.

Comment

Yeah, I remember watching/hearing about this stuff about a year ago.
                    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigC View Post
                      I am not trying to rain on anybodies parade, but the armor has never passed any government test for Level IV protection, only level III+. The body armor is cumbersome and extremely heavy compared with current technologies that are far superior. All this and the politics surrounding it, will cause it to never see the light of day on a soldier in the near future.
                      So....care to qualify and explain your statement? Like numbers, and stories?

Games: GRAW, BF2142, Oblivion, FarCry, Empire At War, R6:RVS, KotOR, KotOR2, MW4: Mercs, FEAR (XP)

*Hiss* "Oh...crap!" *BLAM* "I'm down....MEDIC!!"

DirtyLude: "If we kill him and eat his heart, his magic will be ours."

Comment

http://www.bulletproofme.com/Ballist...n_Levels.shtml
                        -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Brass View Post
                          So....care to qualify and explain your statement? Like numbers, and stories?
                          I am simply stating fact. They pulled their testing sets that were to be delivered to ATEC for testing a couple months ago.. They were not convinced of the fair treatment they would receive in an "unbiased" testing against other manufacturers due to politics.

As for the body armor itself, I have put it on, it is heavy. It is not as light as the Eagle Ciras or the Paraclete RAV, it has to do with the fact that those systems use a single front and back plates. They are however rated at level IV or E-SAPI, able to withstand several 7.62 x 51 and 7.62 x 54 , the NATO and standard sniper rifle respectively in that categories. It is basically is a level IV plate, backed by a level III padding in a carrier.

“The MIL-STD SOV-2000™ Level III flexible body armor system will defeat the following rifle rounds that normally fall into the Level IV category and all lesser threats. 7.62 x 39 mm 122 GR, steel case mild steel core: 2300 - 2400 fps. 5.56 x 45 mm 65 GR, M855 (SS109 Green tip): 3200 - 3300 fps.
                          ” Pinnacles’ website. No mention or claim it will consistantly stop all level IV rounds. The Dragon Skin uses a scale system of allot of plates that are not modular or removable depending on you mobility needs in combat. That is where the weight comes in. The system is also not a releasable vest (cutaway) like the RAV or Ciras.

As for stories, I know lots of friend that have been hit using the RAV and Ciras and survived, I cannot give you any with the DragonSkin. As for my next set I get it will be the Crye Precision system. Crye

But what do I know; I only have worn these systems on 9 combat tours…
                          "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigC View Post
                            But what do I know; I only have worn these systems on 9 combat tours…
                            pssh...

Comment

C, actually that's the kind of answer I was looking for. That, and you being a combat vet really qualifies things. Thanks for the explanation.

Games: GRAW, BF2142, Oblivion, FarCry, Empire At War, R6:RVS, KotOR, KotOR2, MW4: Mercs, FEAR (XP)

*Hiss* "Oh...crap!" *BLAM* "I'm down....MEDIC!!"

DirtyLude: "If we kill him and eat his heart, his magic will be ours."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X