This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is what we're up against...

Now this could be their equivalent of the Jerry Springer show or the National Enquirer TV or something, but I still couldn't help but wonder at the culture that we're dealing with that accepts religious fanaticism on television like this:

(Should be safe for work, but you don't want to watch this around your kids...)

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6dfda466ba
    Last edited by CingularDuality; 01-27-2007, 05:46 PM.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: This is what we're up against...

It's like a mix of that John Edward "Crossing Over" douche and a Springer type show. Our pop culture shows things that are just as dumb on a daily basis.

In other news, that girl must be damn kinky.

Comment

Jeeeez...

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Man that was...twisted. Especially when you think what was really going on with that poor girl.

Not that Saudi Arabia has a monopoly on religious fanatics in the popular media, though... ;)

Originally posted by Video
        "I didn't evoooolve from no monkey. I didn't used to be a tadpole. I is what I is!"
        Beatnik

Comment

Originally posted by Beatnik View Post
          Man that was...twisted. Especially when you think what was really going on with that poor girl.

Not that Saudi Arabia has a monopoly on religious fanatics in the popular media, though... ;)
          So very true!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

come on hes full of it. it looked like he made those while he was waiting to go on the air did anyone else see the tape on the first one? lol
            Current member of the

Comment

Originally posted by Zid View Post
              come on hes full of it. it looked like he made those while he was waiting to go on the air did anyone else see the tape on the first one? lol
              Right. The tape made me think he was full of it, not the talk of girls being possessed by genies...
              Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

I wonder if this represents mainstream thinking in Saudi Arabia. Who here can really say?

Tune randomly to shows like the 700 club and their ilk and you are likely to see or hear something that someone in a muslim culture, for instance, might find equally different or strange. I don't mean to disparage Christians in any way-- I'd expect anything from any religious group. Religion...it's a funny thing ya know. Powerful too. Creating seemingly timeless divisions amongst mankind.

I've worked several times with Saudi Arabians to provide technical training for engineers in the Kingdom. They've always been quite gracious and seem to present them selves with a marked decorum. A pleasure really. I know that only my story but I thought I'd share it.
                sigpic
                |TG-1st|Grunt
                ARMA Admin (retired)
                Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Maybe it did come from the girl. But I think that means she's not a virgin ;) ...Just trying to eliminate all the possibilities :)

-Sirusblk

Comment

Originally posted by Bommando
                    I'm not really clear on what this topic is supposed to convey.

That is a crazy guy talking about crazy stuff. Pretty run-of-the-mill for TV. Many times less crazy than some of the stuff I see on Western TV.

Yet "this is what we're up against"? I'm a little confused. We show all sorts of religious zealots, psychic charlatans and more on TV. How is this any different? Oh, I know, because "they" are the enemy and your bigotry is justified because some of "them" are crazy. Riiiiiight. Muslims are bad mmmkay.
                    Am I the only one that thinks of Heraldo? :) Not only does he attempt to find the body of Jimmie Hoffa unsuccessfully, he goes after big names like Big Foot :row__577:

-Sirusblk

Comment

Originally posted by Beatnik View Post

Was that in the movie?

Man, Sasha is making easy money.

Do you guys think this vid was doctored?

I know some of the movie was. When at Salem, VA, a horse did not fall during the "singing" of the National Anthem.

Granted, I can see why a animal falling over and the American flag hitting the dirt would be edited on there. Got to sale tickets.

I just wonder how much of his stuff is edited heavily.
                      (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
                      (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
                      (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
                      Squad Leader pledge to their team:
                      Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

Originally posted by Bommando
                        I'm not really clear on what this topic is supposed to convey.
                        It's supposed to convey that we're up against a culture whose looney toons are just as crazy as ours! But I've never seen anything that crazy on PBS or BBC. Lebanon TV must be hurting for content...

Also, MEMRI TV has come under a lot of criticism for their biased coverage.
                        I didn't know this. I had never heard of MEMRI until you just mentioned it...

Oh, and I didn't mention it before, but that female show host is gorgeous!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                          It's supposed to convey that we're up against a culture whose looney toons are just as crazy as ours! But I've never seen anything that crazy on PBS or BBC. Lebanon TV must be hurting for content...
                          So you think we're in a culture war?

Comment

Originally posted by thebleakaffinity View Post
                            So you think we're in a culture war?
                            I'm not sure if I'd use that phrase, but I suppose it's somewhat accurate. Their culture is MUCH more heavily influenced by their religious fundamentalists, and their religious fundamentalists form the core of the terrorism that we're fighting, no?
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                              Their culture is MUCH more heavily influenced by their religious fundamentalists, and their religious fundamentalists form the core of the terrorism that we're fighting, no?
                              I would argue no, not really. You're drawing on some very heavy generalizations here, not to mention an extremely broad brush to draw a parallel between religious (Islamic) fundamentalism and the 'core of terrorism.' I'd say that the closest example of this parallel would be the Taliban (the most fundamentalist Islamic 'government' today) and its relationship with Al Qaeda, a militant group. The two are not the same group, and America was just in shattering the bonds between them as a result of 9/11. Unfortunately the Taliban is once again gaining strength in Afghanistan, but they are far from controlling it. The Taliban, however, has no interest in attacking America (though they do fight our troops on 'their' soil).

Getting back to the question at hand, as insane as these fundamentalist broadcasts may seem, there is no more harm in them than there is in Evangelical Christianity. I cannot stress enough how important it is in this day and age for all people to remember that that the problem and the threat is purely in the means by which anyone wishes to defend these beliefs, and not the beliefs themselves.

To put it more simply - we are not at war with Islamic fundamentalism, and this is not a culture war. If we make it one, then we are only giving justification to their cause, furthering the reason to fight.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X