• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention blindness - I didn't see it

this ones great

I didn't see it !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UxzxfYT9q8&eurl=

Re: Attention blindness - I didn't see it

i did.... are you serious you didnt see it and i swear on my life i saw it....

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

That was awesome! I was so focused on the students in the white shirts that I totally didn't see the ape at all.

I suspect the results would have been different if the non-expected information (the guy in the ape suit) was closer to the information receiving the focus. By this, I mean if the viewer were instructed to count the passes made by the black shirted students instead.

I suppose this video reinforces (for me) the need to remember to see the same information from different perspectives, and to be courteous with others who see it differently - neither in a discussion will have all the answers, but it is better to stay focused on the answer instead of the invective.

I became a little curious on the fellow giving the talk, and attention blindness, and found these links for anyone who is interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inattentional_blindness
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Shermer

And a longer version of the same talk (although it doesn't appear to be the same event):
      http://www.ted.com/tedtalks/tedtalks...flashEnabled=1

This last link has a song at the end which I thought was great.
      Last edited by Diceman; 01-28-2007, 08:09 PM.

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
      [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
      Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

I saw the ape man, but to be truthful I believe I saw the clip along time ago. I believe I missed it then :)

I believe every waking moment I have my senses dulled more :(

-Sirusblk

Comment

definitely saw the gorilla first time through.

Comment

Ya, I remember this clip from a couple years ago, albeit with a different presenter. I originally saw it as part of a program about how things are designed for us to see or not see certain aspects (and how we are conditioned to see them) and how businesses use it when marketing or designing things, such as the arrow in the FedEx logo (between the E and the x) denoting speed subconsiously, so we naturally want to use FedEx.... or some crap like that.

And yes, I saw the ape the first time as well. I'm an inspector, I seem to have this natural affinity to find things that aren't right or don't belong.
            |TG-Irr|HatefullSix

If at first you don't succeed, you need more firepower.

There is nothing wrong with feeling something when you shoot your enemies... as long as that something is recoil.

Comment

That was amazing. I'm somewhat embarrassed that I missed it the first time.
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                I got 17, and noticed a 4th black(shirted) player move through the pack. I did not, however, notice that it was a GORILLA.

Comment

Interesting. I picked up the ape dude right away, but I think the experiment was spoiled for me by "I didn't see it".
                  Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                    Heh heh...yeah, me too. I almost couldn't believe that it was the same clip.

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
                    [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
                    Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

I'm a film student currently, and one of the interesting things about studying film in a large lecture hall is the amount of background detail missed by the students - there are lots of seemingly glaring details that go unnoticed by the majority of people watching the film, including things like words spraypainted on city walls behind major characters and lone characters standing dejected behind a major dance sequence in a musical. Most people have a hard time seeing the big picture when faced with a specific thing that's calling their attention.

Comment

I got bored and stopped counting, and I did notice the gorilla immediately. I vaguely remember seeing this video before though, so that doesn't count.
                        A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
                          I got bored and stopped counting, and I did notice the gorilla immediately.
                          1...2... I wonder what's on tv! Hey, a guy in an ape suit! I'm hungry! I'm gonna go ride my bike!
                          Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Originally posted by icky View Post
                            1...2... I wonder what's on tv! Hey, a guy in an ape suit! I'm hungry! I'm gonna go ride my bike!
                            lol, reminds me of a joke i heard...

How many kids with ADD does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Lets go ride bikes!

I got 16 passes and saw the gorilla! (sounds like a great sig, lol)

Comment

Originally posted by icky View Post
                              Interesting. I picked up the ape dude right away, but I think the experiment was spoiled for me by "I didn't see it".
                              Same - I caught 16 passes, but I can't help thinking that i took my eye off the ball because I was waiting for something unexpected to happen. My thoughts were that some trick would happen with the white shirted players, but the ape got my attention as soon as it moved on screen. I did not however see it beat its chest as I was back to counting passes.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X