Bittorrent throttling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bittorrent throttling

I recently switched ISPs from Bell Sympatico to Rogers, both major players up here in Canada. I noticed that my torrent downloads have been suffering significantly since making the switch to Rogers.

After a little bit of investigation I found about about ISPs throttling up/download speeds of mainly torrents but also other P2P software. Azureus itself recognized upon updating that Rogers was my ISP and automatically turned on Encryption to battle it (which helped a little, but did not remedy the problem completely)

I was interested what peoples views are on this, since up until yesterday I was not aware of such things happening. I have yet to contact my isp about this, but I don't expect them to do anything about it. At this point and time I don't know if it bother me enough to switch back to Bell (or yet another ISP). Funny thing is a couple of years back Bell capped their monthly download cap to 10gb, but customers let them have a piece of their mind and that didn't fly for too long.

With my package I am already limited to 60gb transfer monthly and 5.0 Mbps download and 384 Kbps upload. It irritates me that they find it necessary to go beyond these limitations. This basically limits me to using bandwidth in ways they see fit, how far will they go? My cousin is also with the same ISP however he has no issues, since he is in a less dense area and they do not throttle it there.

Other then encryption in the torrent clients, and VPN I have not come across ways to overcome this, and neither worked well for me. (VPN -secureix- disconnected fairly frequently).

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Re: Bittorrent throttling

--On the technology of it, I have no useful advice to offer for defeating your ISP

--On the politics of it, I think an ISP company is justified in putting whatever restrictions they want on your account, so long as those restrictions are clearly laid out in the sales agreement you get when you sign up, so you can go somewhere else if you dont like their terms. However, from what I hear "throttling" restrictions usually are never publicly stated in account terms, and I have absolutely no respect for companies that sell you one product, and deliver another.

--On the economics of it, I would be willing to pay a noticeably higher price for a company that delivered more reliable/less throttled service, but obviously that will depend on your personal economics. I don't know why you switched off Bell to begin with.

Comment

As far as i know the End-User Service Agreement(s) stipulate that
      they can limit bandwidth for the purposes of ensuring network
      integrity.

Which I guess is the vague legal way of saying, screw you, we will do what we see fit. I will probably stick around for the time being, but I don't know how long I can stand such actions by an ISP.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Encryption used to be a way around this with Rogers, but now it is not. My friend tells me that there is a new way of escaping the limits now, but I don't know the details.

If you do choose to switch, I would urge you to avoid Sympatico. They have the worst service and the highest prices.

This place is very popular among my colleagues:
        http://teksavvy.com/
        Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

You know, other then the high prices, I had no issues with them during my 5 years with them. I switched because it was cheaper, and it took off another 5% off the rogers bill. Although if I decide to switch it probably wont be Bell, I can't say they left a bad taste in my mouth.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Polska View Post
            You know, other then the high prices, I had no issues with them during my 5 years with them. I switched because it was cheaper, and it took off another 5% off the rogers bill. Although if I decide to switch it probably wont be Bell, I can't say they left a bad taste in my mouth.
            Well it's just that they charge more than any other ISP and they have caps which are tighter than any other ISP. I also had nightmares trying to get setup when I moved. I've heard horror stories from other people who were out of service for weeks, but I experienced some of the same myself with Magma, so I won't comment on that.

Comment

If anyone knows ways to bypass this drop me a pm. I would greatly appreciate it.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Polska View Post
                If anyone knows ways to bypass this drop me a pm. I would greatly appreciate it.
                Move? :P
                [volun2]
                NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

I think switching isps would be less painful poker :P. The price is good, and the download speeds are as advertised or better for http dls, and some other p2p programs. This one thing however bugs me a lot, but I don't know if its enough to drive me to switch. After all, I am pretty lazy

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

ug... apparently the only solution right now is to use a VPN

try secureix.com

Comment

Originally posted by icky View Post
                      ug... apparently the only solution right now is to use a VPN

try secureix.com
                      I was afraid you would say that. I have been trying that VPN for the last 2 days with mixed results. Although it does get past the throttling, I am unable to sustain a connection to the VPN for more then 10 minutes. Every 5-10 minutes the VPN disconnects. I would imagine the problem is on their end, but it could also be me, or ever Rogers causing the disconnects.

EDIT: I believe secureix also limit your connection speeds to something like 100k-150k but that still beats 0 :(. Even with the disconnects I'm better off going through the unstable VPN at night to dl torrents.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Ya, my friend said he doesn't expect the VPN way to work for very long.

The bottom line is that Rogers is at war with torrents. They don't want them on their network and they will go to extreme lengths to stop them.

Comment

I connected my Internet directly into the mahcine and was able to sustain a conneciton with the VPN for 2 hours at which point I disconnected manually. This leads me to believe that my router is at fault here for my disconnects.

Anyone know what can cause the router to drop the VPN connection? Passthrough is enabled and the MTU was at 1300 (had troubles with higher values in the past). I have now set it to 1500 and am currently testing.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

I'm on rogers, I use utorrent, and I find Azureus works well too.
                            I have the high speed extreme, 8Mbit down and I generally can pull up to 3-400Kbit all night long.

Turn on the encryption and you won't have issues.

I downloaded Ubuntu on this the other day using Azureus. 700mb in ~ an hour or so. BTW, I'm loving the Ubuntu "edgy", my laptop is running flawlessly with it.
                            Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
                            Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

Originally posted by GhostintheShell View Post
                              I'm on rogers, I use utorrent, and I find Azureus works well too.
                              I have the high speed extreme, 8Mbit down and I generally can pull up to 3-400Kbit all night long.

Turn on the encryption and you won't have issues.

I downloaded Ubuntu on this the other day using Azureus. 700mb in ~ an hour or so. BTW, I'm loving the Ubuntu "edgy", my laptop is running flawlessly with it.
                              If you are pulling those speeds, chance are you are not in a throttled area. Encryption does not work for me with either azureus or utorrent. The only thing that has worked for me so far is secureix, but my connection to them is not very stable and tends to disconnect randomly.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X