X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. fires on Iraqi wedding party

U.S. fires on Iraqi wedding party

By SCHEHEREZADE FARAMARZI (CNN)

Iraqis mourn over those killed during a wedding party, in Ramadi, Iraq, following an missile attack by U.S. Armed Forces. (AP /APTN)
    BAGHDAD (AP) - A U.S. helicopter fired on a house in the desert near the Syrian border Wednesday, and Iraqi officials said more than 40 people attending a wedding party were killed. The victims included 15 children and 10 women. The U.S. military said the target was a suspected safehouse for foreign fighters from Syria.

Associated Press Television News footage showed a truck containing bloodied bodies, many wrapped in blankets, piled one atop the other. Several were children, one of whom was decapitated. The body of a girl who appeared to be less than five years of age lay in a white sheet, her legs riddled with wounds and her dress soaked in blood.

The attack happened about 2:45 a.m. in a desert region near the border with Syria and Jordan, according to Lt.-Col. Ziyad al-Jbouri, deputy police chief of Ramadi, the provincial capital about 400 kilometres to the east. He said 42 to 45 people died. Dr. Salah al-Ani, who works at a hospital in Ramadi, put the death toll at 45.

The area, a desolate region populated only by shepherds, is popular with smugglers, including weapons smugglers, and the U.S. military suspects militants use it as a route to slip in from Syria to fight the Americans. It is under constant surveillance by American forces.

In a statement, the U.S. Central Command said coalition forces conducted a military operation at 3 a.m. against a "suspected foreign fighter safehouse" in the open desert, about 80 kilometres southwest of Husaybah and 25 kilometres from the Syrian border.

The coalition troops came under hostile fire and "close air support was provided," the statement said. The troops recovered weapons, Iraqi and Syrian currency, some passports and some satellite communications gear, it said.

APTN video footage showed mourners with shovels digging graves over a wide dusty area in Ramadi, the provincial capital where bodies of the dead had been taken to obtain death certificates. A group of men crouched and wept around one coffin.

Iraqis interviewed on the videotape said revellers had fired volleys of gunfire into the air in a traditional wedding celebration before the attack took place. American troops have sometimes mistaken celebratory gunfire for hostile fire.

Al-Ani, the doctor, said American troops came to investigate the gunfire and left. However, al-Ani said, helicopters later arrived and attacked the area. Two houses were destroyed, he said.

"This was a wedding and the (U.S.) planes came and attacked the people at a house. Is this the democracy and freedom that (President George W.) Bush has brought us?" said a man on the videotape, Dahham Harraj. "There was no reason."

Another man shown on the tape, who refused to give his name, said the victims were at a wedding party "and the U.S. military planes came . . . and started killing everyone in the house."

Lt.-Col. Dan Williams, a U.S. military spokesman, said earlier that the military was investigating.

"I cannot comment on this because we have not received any reports from our units that this has happened nor that any were involved in such a tragedy," Williams wrote in an e-mail in response to a question from The Associated Press.

"We take all these requests seriously and we have forwarded this inquiry to the Joint Operations Centre for further review and any other information that may be available," Williams said.

The strike, widely reported in Iraq and the Middle East as an attack on a wedding party, comes at a time when American prestige is under fire as the United States tries to stabilize this country before the June 30 transfer of sovereignty are foundering.

Anti-American sentiment has risen following last month's bloody marine siege of Fallujah, a Shiite Muslim uprising and the scandal over treatment of Iraqi detainees at Abu Ghraib prison.

"Many Iraqis have been killed so far" during the occupation, said Adnan Pachachi, one of the most pro-American figures on the Iraqi Governing Council. He said Iraqis "hope that these acts, from all parties, come to an end because the victims are Iraqis."

In July 2002, 48 civilians at a wedding party were killed and 117 wounded by a U.S. air strike in Afghanistan's Uruzgan province. An investigative report released by the U.S. Central Command said the air strike was justified because American planes had come under fire.
    Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
    Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Re: U.S. fires on Iraqi wedding party

stay tuned.

Comment

NBC News and news services
      Updated: 6:45 p.m. ET May 19, 2004BAGHDAD, Iraq - Iraqi officials said a U.S. helicopter fired on a wedding party Wednesday morning in western Iraq, killing more than 40 people, including children. U.S. officials confirmed an airstrike near the Syrian border, but they told NBC News that the incident involved an AC-130 warship — not a helicopter — and that the aircraft returned fire after coming under attack from militants.

“During the operation, coalition forces came under hostile fire and close air support was provided,” it said. Afterward, “coalition forces on the ground recovered numerous weapons, 2 million Iraqi and Syrian dinar, foreign passports and a SATCOM radio.”

But the coalition described the attack as part of “a military operation against a suspected foreign fighter safe house in the open desert.”
      “During the operation, coalition forces came under hostile fire and close air support was provided,” it said. Afterward, “coalition forces on the ground recovered numerous weapons, 2 million Iraqi and Syrian dinar, foreign passports and a SATCOM radio.”

‘The pictures ... don’t mesh with what we saw’
      Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt, deputy director of operations for the U.S.-led coalition in Iraq, told NBC News that coalition forces in the vicinity saw no signs of a wedding when they called in the air attack.
      “I know the pictures are compelling, but they don’t mesh with what we saw on the ground,” he said.

U.S. officials acknowledged that the information was preliminary, however, and they said an investigation was continuing.

THIS IS A CUT AND PASTE OF PARTS OF THIS STORY.. THE PARTS THAT DONT HAVE ME CRYING WE MADE A MISTAKE OF COURSE B/C I'M A MARINE.
      IT'S AGAINST MY BETTER JUDGEMENT TO EVEN GET INVOLVED IN THIS, BUT PFFT.. YOU KNOW ME BETTER THAN THAT.

Comment

One US dollar buys about 1000-2500 Iraqi dinars. So, 2 million dinars is about $1000 USD, not exactly a lot of money for 40 people at a wedding to be carrying.

"Associated Press Television News footage showed a truck containing bloodied bodies, many wrapped in blankets, piled one atop the other. Several were children, one of whom was decapitated. The body of a girl who appeared to be less than five years of age lay in a white sheet, her legs riddled with wounds and her dress soaked in blood. "

Very sad, and upsetting.
        Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
          stay tuned.
          Stay tuned for what, the spin?

Comment

44 Syrian pounds to one US dollar.
            1465 Iraqi dinars to one US dollar.

I guess it depends on the proportions of each in determining just how much cash that was.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostintheShell
              In July 2002, 48 civilians at a wedding party were killed and 117 wounded by a U.S. air strike in Afghanistan's Uruzgan province. An investigative report released by the U.S. Central Command said the air strike was justified because American planes had come under fire.
              One would think, given the current situation in Iraq, they'd kinda refrain from the traditional shooting off of weapons...don't get me wrong, I hate to see civilians dying like that, but firing weapons like that is going to draw attention, and IMO, not a very bright thing to do in a combat zone....celebration or not....

Comment

Originally posted by phyllis
                I hate to see civilians dying like that, but firing weapons like that is going to draw attention, and IMO, not a very bright thing to do in a combat zone....celebration or not....
                Could there have been bad guys really taking shot's at the Soldiers??

Nah, that's right.. If there was a wedding , there might have been a temple and that's off limits.

----

And as someone else already post'ed.. Wait for what? "The Spin"

Come on ... some things you just cant spin. Like dead bodies that were already wrapped up and stacked on each other in trucks. That means they were killed by the us, RIGHT? oh, wait.. they might have spun it that way.

Comment

I can't remember the last time I saw someone's opinion about this war change.
                  Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

sorry i can see civillians died but if it was just celebration what was a satcom radio doing there. clearly a military piece of equipment.

and i refuse to believe that the iraqis fired and the us didnt fire back then call for support, so why didnt these people just surrender their arms, are we being fed the same bias anti war crap that is so evident in our press.

ok i hate it when people are killed who are civies especially chilldren but i think that the iraqis had something to hide and were fighting to secure it.

i dont buy that there was a few guns discharged into the air and the us called an ac130 it doesnt add up at all/.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

A satcom phone isn't necessarily a piece of military hardware. Its basically a bigger cellphone but it directly links up to the satellites and is used in remote areas where there's no cell towers to place regular phone calls. The military uses these for some comm's, and I've seen journalists over there reporting in with them.

They fire rifles into the air in celebration at weddings, it's one of their customs for celebrations, everyone knows that. Our customs say that we exchange rings, throw rice, carry the bride over the threshhold, whatever. They probably seem weird to them as well. But, who's right is it to make them not do those things.

"Is this the freedom that Bush has brought us?", is probably the most memorable line in that entire story to me.

Comment

welll no you miss my point ok so they fire them into the air, i dont accept that guests at a wedding firing rifles needed an ac130, i dont accept that the american troops didnt return fire with their small arms fire...

therefore if they did which would be the natural reaction then why did they have to call an ac130, because those bullets were fired at the troops.

if it was celebration, they definatly returned fire at the soldiers, making themselfs and all around them a target.

it is ridiculous to believe that americans percieved fire, from what was 100 people. so called in an ac130 gunship. their first reaction would be to fire back.

and their next reaction is call for support. thisa story still seems watered down to me.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

I got the idea of what you where saying. The iraqi's are firing the rifles in the air, and the ground forces go to investigate, and some shots are maybe exchanged, then the US ground troops back out and call in an AC130.

I don't know why a AC130 would be called in either. Maybe it was close by in the air and available, I don't know. Its a helluva big gunship to be called in even for 40-100 people with small arms.

Unfortunately, we can't make any more assumptions based on the info we have.

Associated Press says one story, and the US military press relations portray's it as some kind of "weapons smuggling safe house", whatever that means.

I think that in all these cases where facts are in doubt its ultimately the US that loses out. When the world population sees pictures of dead children they don't want to hear that there are facts in question.

Comment

welll there you are, i am the worlds population, i am more enlightened than your average hippy who believes everything they see in the papper and curses the war for it.

i dont accept the story its too full of holes, it is ridiculous to think that ac130 came in on a party firing guns in the air...

ill wait for the investigations to be over before i start making concrete judgements.

i dont trust newspappers much anymore after the daily mirror posted fake pics on their papper and blaimed the uk soldiers in iraq... then put their lives at risk, its sick and i think stronger controll must be placed on the newpappers/.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Originally posted by DudeMan
                              welll no you miss my point ok so they fire them into the air, i dont accept that guests at a wedding firing rifles needed an ac130, i dont accept that the american troops didnt return fire with their small arms fire...

therefore if they did which would be the natural reaction then why did they have to call an ac130, because those bullets were fired at the troops.

if it was celebration, they definatly returned fire at the soldiers, making themselfs and all around them a target.

it is ridiculous to believe that americans percieved fire, from what was 100 people. so called in an ac130 gunship. their first reaction would be to fire back.

and their next reaction is call for support. thisa story still seems watered down to me.
                              If you got more information on this story.. there were hundreds of people and there were a bunch of houses that were destroyed. From what I read and heard on the Radio.

If you got an AC130 use the freaking thing.

The other thing that keeps coming up is "It's their Custom"

It's their custom to treat woman like sheit... they dont do that around a armed group of soliders...
                              Why would shooting rifles at troops .... ooop's sorry in the air , be our fault b/c "It's their Custom"

Their customs have changed.. like it or not. I'm guessing you've seen that random story on the news over the years where some young kid get's killed from "Their Custom Fire" and dont you find yourself saying... Damn, what the hell are they thinking????
                              Guess what , that's all I hear myself saying when I read the story about this "Custom" and that AC130 raining hell down on their "Custom" ....

--- gotta go get coffee now , see ya'll later. ;-)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X