Want an M-16? Place your bid.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want an M-16? Place your bid.

A Sheriff's Dept. in my state is auctioning off a fully-automatic M-16 rifle to raise money for the department. You must have a permit to carry automatic weapons to enter a bid.

http://www.county.lapeer.org/sheriff/m16sale.html

There's sort of a snide article on the auction in the Freep today. Does anyone know the requirements to get a permit for such a weapon? The writer makes it sound like just anyone with no criminal record can walk into a store and get an Uzi.

Discuss.
    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Re: Want an M-16? Place your bid.

Originally posted by Evo<^|SiNz|^> View Post
    A Sheriff's Dept. in my state is auctioning off a fully-automatic M-16 rifle to raise money for the department. You must have a permit to carry automatic weapons to enter a bid.

http://www.county.lapeer.org/sheriff/m16sale.html...

...Does anyone know the requirements to get a permit for such a weapon?
    Yes. Read the sections in this post (starting about halfway through) entitled Owning an Automatic Weapon in the United States, Transporting an Automatic Weapon in the United States, and Penalties for Violations. For a regular U.S. citizen, these are just some of the things that must be considered when it comes to owning automatic weapons.

Comment

They think it could fetch "as much" as $1700? Holy crap, that's a steal! Considering no new autos can be imported for civilian ownership, that's dirt cheap. They are wrong, that thing is going to go for big bucks.

I'd drop $1700 for it easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Evo<^|SiNz|^> View Post
        Does anyone know the requirements to get a permit for such a weapon? The writer makes it sound like just anyone with no criminal record can walk into a store and get an Uzi.
        Basically, you need to submit some forms to the ATF along with $200 in taxes. You also need to get that form signed by your chief law enforcement officer (usually a Sheriff or Chief of Police). That's basically it. A background check WILL be done on you and the ATF will hunt you down if they feel the need. This is not something that can be done in one day.

FYI, silencers and short barrelled rifles (and shotguns?) are controlled in the same manner as machine guns.

Aww, hell, Strag summed it up much nicer in his post...
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by JMJ View Post
          They think it could fetch "as much" as $1700? Holy crap, that's a steal! Considering no new autos can be imported for civilian ownership, that's dirt cheap. They are wrong, that thing is going to go for big bucks.

I'd drop $1700 for it easily.
          Yeah, NFA rifles go for well over $10,000 in good shape.

I'm not sure if this link'll work, but go to the firearms auctions, click on "class III/NFA/Destructive devices" link near the top, then search for Colt to see the other M-16s available. With days left on the auction, they're already over $15,000.

Hey, there were a finite number of machine guns manufactured before 1986... The prices are just going to continue to climb unless we get some sensible laws on the books.
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

$1,700? I think they're missing a zero -- $17,000 is more like it.

I found an old chart of what various states allow when it comes to NFA weapons. It's out of date, but it should still give a reasonable idea of what each state in the Union allows.

Comment

Fox News had a typo, the original AP copy I saw this morning said $17,000. Why would the Dept sell it for a measly $1700.
              "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
              He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

I would love to own an M-16, but having personally fired one in auto. I would prefer to have one that is semi auto and burst instead.
                |TG|Gabriel87
                Favorite quotes and sayings:

Teacher, Tommy you got a fairy godmother.
                Tommy, No, but we got an uncle we keep a close eye on.

*If anyone knows or has seen Markopilot please let him know that his gunner misses him and would like to talk to him agian. He knows me by Gabriel87.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel587 View Post
                  I would love to own an M-16, but having personally fired one in auto. I would prefer to have one that is semi auto and burst instead.
                  I don't even have a use for a rifle with burst (which is still a machine gun, legally, BTW). Well aimed shots are what trips my trigger...
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Agreed. If I ever manage to put together the money, I want a bolt-action rifle. Firing faster than that isn't terribly useful unless you're in a battle, and the whole concept of bolt-action is just cool looking. Besides, I have some old Russian rifle ammunition from the 50's that was designed for that. (7.92 mm? I can't remember without looking at the box...plus its written in Russian.)

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
                      Agreed. If I ever manage to put together the money, I want a bolt-action rifle. Firing faster than that isn't terribly useful unless you're in a battle, and the whole concept of bolt-action is just cool looking.

Do they sell those to the public? How easy would it be to get my hands on one? How much would I expect to pay?
                      I think you will find that bolet action gets really tidious especially while sighting the scope. I have two rifles and I have gotten sick of the bolt action and pretty much only use the semi auto only. I still take the time to line up each shoot but it is nice to not have to change your body position after each shot.

Comment

You might be right. Its kinda academic right now though, cause I'm broke anyway. ;)

Plus you replied while I was still editing! I call Foul! :p

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
                          Agreed. If I ever manage to put together the money, I want a bolt-action rifle.
                          I keep seeing the ads for these rifles in the gun magazines that I read, and I'm intrigued. If I ever had the money, I'd get one: http://www.mauser.org/rifles/german_k98/index.htm
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X