Al Gore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Al Gore

I got a question for anyone that believes in Global Warming and belives in what Al Gore is doing, and all the Celebrities that say they are for Global Warming as well.

Why does Al Gore get to tell us what we should compromise in our lives to help save Fossil Fuels. So that we don't kill all the nice little Polar Bears and Nar-Whales. When he has a house that use's as much electricity in ONE MONTH, that any normal household would use up in a ONE YEAR.

Why does he use Private Jets that burn up 1,000's of gallons of Fuel in just one trip? Why does he get to use gas guzzling Limos? Why does he get to use private helicopters? Why does he get to burn up all the oil he needs to keep his Mansion nice and warm? Yet has the nerve to tell us how we should live our lives?

I guess what he is trying to tell us all is that we should all compromise to help stop Global Warming, while he is guzzling up more gas in one day, then most of us do in an entire year!

Do you people trully believe in what this guy says? Since he is one of the biggest Hypocrits that I know of, yet everyone treats him like a God.

Re: Al Gore

<double-take at thread date>

Al who? :p

Comment

Parody thread, or just random rehash of useless talking points?

Comment

In response to your question, Cobra, Mr. Gore buys carbon credits to offset his emissions.

However, I will also pledge to use at least 20% as much CO2-creating substances in the next 12 months as Mr. Gore does. That's a high bar to set for myself, but if we all do our part, maybe we can help increase the number of plants worldwide by making the earth's atmosphere CO2 richer and therefore more plant friendly. And carbon credits are for dorks.

Edit: Not sure if Mr. Gore still flies around in private jets. If he does, then my 20% goal will be impossible to meet.
        Last edited by Nikolas; 02-27-2007, 08:18 PM.
        A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Do you have anything to back up these claims? No offense or anything I'd just like to see citations before I take these claims seriously.

Comment

http://www.tennesseepolicy.org/main/...article_id=367

I found this link, don't know if it helps.

Lucky Shot

Comment

Why is it when I hear the name Al Gore, I picture this?
              (EDIT: The following image is disgusting.)
              http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/3613/algoremh2.gif
              Last edited by CingularDuality; 02-28-2007, 03:52 AM. Reason: Added warning.

Comment

Thats just disturbing, and in no way informative or helpful. Could you at least be so kind as to replace that with a link?

Comment

Originally posted by FatCobra View Post
                  Why does he use Private Jets that burn up 1,000's of gallons of Fuel in just one trip? Why does he get to use gas guzzling Limos? Why does he get to use private helicopters? Why does he get to burn up all the oil he needs to keep his Mansion nice and warm? Yet has the nerve to tell us how we should live our lives?
                  He gets to do it because this is America. Plain and simple. We're all free to be you and me!

Since we're on the topic, however, let's talk about these "carbon offsets" that he supposedly purchases. As I understand them, you pay for a certain amount of CO2 production to be negated in some way. I'm thinking along the lines of planting a tree or two (or a few thousand). Logically, if you plant enough trees, their CO2 usage will "offset" the CO2 production that comes from our various energy industries. My question is this, though: Just how much can we really offset? Wouldn't those trees need to be planted anyway? Do we have enough land/water to offset our CO2 production as a nation? And, finally, how do I start up one of these carbon balancing companies?
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I believe carbon credits go to companies that produce or institutions that develop renewable energy resources. Also, they plant trees, like Cing said. It's basically a method of raising money for that type of environmentalist activity. You calculate how many tons of carbon emissions your lifestyle produces in a year, then you donate money to a green organization commensurate with that number. They take that money and go off and hug trees and generally be good stewards of the Earth and you can go back to driving to McDonald's in your 12mpg SUV largely free of guilt.

Your average car produces about 6 tons of CO2 a year (I think), so if you wanted to offset that, you could donate to an environmental non-profit at anywhere from $5-$20 a ton. Depends on the company. I'll grant that the validity of the "carbon-neutral" claim is self-righteous and scientifically dubious, but if you're donating to a cause you believe in, then I suppose there is some good in that. It's just a way of quantifying your donation.

Originally, the idea of carbon credits was raised as part of the Kyoto Protocol to create artificial an market for pollution reduction. If, as a nation, you were a major carbon producer, you would find yourself immediately in "debt." You could get out of debt by buying credits from greener, less developed countries, or by reducing your carbon emissions.
                    In game handle: Steel Scion
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler View Post
                      Your average car produces about 6 tons of CO2 a year (I think), so if you wanted to offset that, you could donate to an environmental non-profit at anywhere from $5-$20 a ton. Depends on the company. I'll grant that the validity of the "carbon-neutral" claim is self-righteous and scientifically dubious, but if you're donating to a cause you believe in, then I suppose there is some good in that. It's just a way of quantifying your donation.
                      Steeler is right on. Gore is not right on, he's re-incarnated himself as an activist. Activists do illogical, sometimes nonsensical things in the name of their cause(s). It is a proven method, but difficult to watch.

Comment

That man must have a hydroponic grow-op in his basement for the amount of power he's using. It's pretty hypocritical, considering his stance on global warming.

Comment

Argh, I just realized that most of my power comes from a nuclear plant and is therefore largely void of CO2.
                          A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Now you have to work at becoming spent-uranium neutral.
                            In game handle: Steel Scion
                            sigpic

Comment

The carbon credits system is a shell game. Basically companies that emit, or commit to, less co2 get credits for their efficiency which they can sell. People who don't wish to reduce their output can buy those credits and feel good about not reducing their output.

Think of it this way; Child abuse is a problem, so an international child beating credits system is established. My neighbor doesn't beat his kids so I can buy his 'good Dad' credits so that I can freely beat my children. No fewer children were beaten, but I feel good about it.

There is a wide spread scam in third world countries where factories are built, carbon credits issued for their efficiency and then they are shut down only to build another one next door. Rinse and repeat.
                              New to TG?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X