X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xtreme Emo

You can tell it's sweeps month.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p95_eF3bD1w

Note the Larry the Cable Guy Sheriff speaking as an expert. Bottom line: PARENTS: IF YOUR KIDS WEAR BLACK, IT'S COOL FOR THEM TO COMMIT SUICIDE.
    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Re: Xtreme Emo

The only thing that would make that Sheriff look more like Larry the Cable Guy is if he tore off his shirt sleeves.

Comment

O_o

Comment

I can't believe that this is that widespread of a problem. There have always been, and always will be, a fringe element in high school. Societal ridicule and simply growing up will cure these freaky haircuts over time.

The promotion of suicidal thoughts, however, is a bit troubling. The internet has made it very easy to socialize with niche, fringe groups. I can see how you could get worried by seeing a social structure out there that encourages self mutilation and suicide.
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

The thing I have always found the most interesting about subcultures such as the emo crowd is the "individual misconception" as its known. even when I was in high school and I saw people doing these things firsthand, I was taken back by the fact that people, regardless of age, fail to see the absolute ridicule that they feed out in justifying themselves in belonging to these fringe groups. let me expand:

The "individual misconception" is a precept that is frequently uttered by people belonging to one of these fringe groups or subcultures in that they believe that by taking on this persona and traits of the subculture, they are expressing "individuality". Logic clearly tells us that while each human being is an individual, expressing individuality by belonging to a certain group or taking on common traits is cleary illogical and false.

In basic terms: these kids scream at you that the reason theyre part of the emo crowd is because theyre "individuals", but by belonging to such a crowd, they are anything but. It's always boggled my mind that these kids can actually bring themselves to believe the garbage theyre spewing.

Everyone has bad experiences in their lives. I've had my share and I'm sure everyone else here has as well. But we're not suicidal. My fiance left me for another man who treats her like dirt less than 3 months ago and I dont wear black and cut myself. The problem is that parents are inadequately preparing their kids for the realities of life. When I was younger, my dad sat me down and told me these exact words, which I remember like it was yesterday (slight language warning...nothing they dont say on tv though):
          "Alex, life is a cold, hard, spiteful bitch. As you get older, you will get stepped on. You will get pushed around. You will be bullied. You will have your heart broken. You will experience death and pain. HOWEVER, this does not make you any less fortunate or any worse off than any other human being who will ever walk the earth or has in the past. Everyone experiences these things. It's part of living. In order to adequately appreciate the good things and understand what they really mean to you, you have to have a negative to compare them with or your life will seem drab. You will climb mountains have have great achievements if you so choose, but also know that you will be scraping for the surface and unable to find the air to breathe at certain times as well. Keep your head up and always know that when things go wrong, and they will, that there is ALWAYS someone there for you if you're willing to seek them out and get the help you need and want."

I have never heard truer words. He was absolutely right, but the problem is that not ever kid gets that speech. Not every kid learns to appreciate the good things because theyre shielded from the bad so often that they dont know it really exists. Not every kid is taught that no matter what clothes you wear and what music you listen to, it doesnt change the person you really are inside. These kids that dont get these things dont learn self control. They dont learn that there are consequences. They dont learn that hurting themselves hurts everyone around them too.

Yet society keeps turning a blind eye to it. We act like its not a problem. Those few who advocate a movement away from these kinds of things are told that the problem is so widespread that even if we tried to change it, nothing would come of it. Its sad to think about.

Comment

I’d like to talk about some of the notions in our society which are misleading our young people and causing a lot of unnecessary misery. Firstly, the idea that you must earn a living. Within the notion of “having to earn a living” is the assumption that you don’t automatically deserve to be alive. For some reason this tends to make people feel somewhat depressed. I have it on the highest authority, however, that the only way to really earn a living, once and for all, is by being born. After that you deserve to relax.

Another misguided concept that I’d like to shoot down is the belief that you should be responsible. This whole idea puts people under tremendous strain, because you end up feeling responsible for all your imperfections. Society holds us accountable if we don’t comply with its definition of our responsibilities. You don’t choose your genetic make-up or the conditions in which you grow up, yet all the unfortunate things that happen are your fault. It’s time we let go of this burden of false responsibility.

What we are really talking about here is that strange phenomenon called masochism. It is my belief that we are a deeply masochistic society. A prominent politician recently said “if it isn’t hurting, it isn’t working”. This statement was calculated to appeal to our need for the type of dogma that insists we must suffer. Any belief which maintains that it’s our duty to endure pain, is guaranteed to be popular.

All of this is against the natural order of things. If God wanted us to have a hard time, why did he give us such an enormous capacity for pleasure – our brains are juicy pleasure organs, not guilt machines. The divine doesn’t talk to us in terms of duty and effort – it whispers peacefully to us of fulfilling our deepest longings and desires.

- http://www.anxietyculture.com/sermon.htm

Comment

Do ya'll remember the movie, "Heathers"? Where they made it a popular trend to commit suicide. These stupid emo kids are nothing new. When I was in High School, the popular unpopular people were in the Goth crowd. Emo's practically the same, except much much whinier. What a bunch of spoiled little brats.
              "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I find these things happening more rapidly due to lose of cultural identity. People have no sense of belonging to their specific culture or society go looking for people who have general likes and dislikes as them. Usually media tends to drive those things out, specifically with music. Kids start looking for role models and they end up finding them in popular musicians of the genre they listen to. Then some how there is the notion that you have to act a certain way to belong to this certain group.

This notion usually stems from how the role models portray themselves. If a rapper pretends to be a tough street thug who shows disregard towards authority. If kids look towards said rapper with an idolizing view then there is a tendicey for the kids to act that way. I believe in there own mind they feel they are more part of the subculture if they act that way.

Where does the problem stem from? Possibly parents not being a role model for children, or possibly the media praying on negative news, therefore giving society a negative view in which kids do not want to look up to or respectively want to embrace.

That's my take on it.

Comment

I blame Elvis. Damn those hips.
                  In game handle: Steel Scion
                  sigpic

Comment

Okay except none of the stuff in the link even remotely qualifies as emo :/

Comment

Kids these days! Outta control I tell ya! Somebody oughta pass a law banning these kids!
                      A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

I kinda feel bad now... I play football for my highschool and some of my team-mates beat these kids, i wont deny that ive made fun of them but i dont think ive ever gotten in a 5 foot radious of them...
                        AKA
                        USMCSierraJuan
                        Sierra_6177

Defabian

Comment

Originally posted by =MAXx= View Post
                          I kinda feel bad now... I play football for my highschool and some of my team-mates beat these kids, i wont deny that ive made fun of them but i dont think ive ever gotten in a 5 foot radious of them...
                          You probably should feel bad, not so much that you know people who beat up other kids, but that you haven't done enough to STOP them from beating those kids (taken from the tense of your verbage). Abusing someone might make you feel tough, but the stronger thing is to put yourself forth and be the person to stop an abuser.

Not to pick on you or your statements, but it just kinda sums up the reason that these sub-cultures exist. The philosophy of many teen-age fringe culture groups are based on the fact that fringe social groups exist in the world, as circular as that sounds. Self-classifying themselves as an "outcast" gives them a sense of uniqueness and identity, important aspects of adolescent development. The whole "Emo Identity" has been developed so that people like yourself, on the football team and, thus, probably considered as some high school class of elite in many parts of this country, will ignore them and probably try to harass them.

It's unfortunate that you don't recall every really trying to socialize with "them." They really are your peers in more ways than you know. They probably are dealing with a lot of the same problems in growing up as you are, but have just chosen to express themselves in a different, purposefully "outcast" fashion. Does dressing in black and listening to "Emo" music make their experiences and emotions any less important than your teammates that beat other kids because that's what they feel helps to define them? While we can sit here all day and say that "Emo" self-mutilation and deprecation is dumb and stupid, I really feel that people who feel that they can mutilate and depreciate SOMEONE ELSE without consequence are much more ignorant and depraved.

Are adults in part to blame for an adolescent sub-culture that promotes self-injury? Probably. But, I also feel that an adolescent culture that has enough time and "intelligence" to sit around and make fun of an "Emo" culture could probably make better use of their time to actually see what it is that makes "Emo's" different than themselves. I'm not saying that talking to someone who's Emo will make them your best friend. But, I know that every time you talk to someone you didn't know before, you learn something about the world.

I just wish that more of today's youth would stop acting mature and enlightened by simply accepting what is given to them through popular media outlets. Understanding isn't really something that you passively learn. It's something you need to experience.
                          Last edited by ThePenguineer; 03-02-2007, 08:55 PM.

|TG-Irr| ThePenguineer ::: |TG-Irr| Pengie the Noob
                          TG-Irregulars Commanding Officer
                          ||

Comment

Originally posted by =MAXx= View Post
                            Damn dude, you better chill with that, haven't you heard of columbine?

Comment

Originally posted by ThePenguineer View Post
                              Does dressing in black and listening to thrash metal make their experiences and emotions
                              The mass majority of emo kids listen to Emo, not metal. I thought I would clarify that since I am a metalhead and rather not be associated with Emo kids.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X