Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So did the entire US die? Or just Illinois?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So did the entire US die? Or just Illinois?

Man, I don't know if anyone else is seeing this, but it's getting pretty rediculous around here. Since the death of President Ford in December, I would estimate that our flags here at the University of Illinois have been at half staff for all but roughly a week and a half of the past two months. Is there some grand tragedy that I don't know about, or are we just super-sensitive to deaths like the firehouse dog around here?
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Re: So did the entire US die? Or just Illinois?

It used to be that only the President could order a flag at half-mast - it was a national thing. Now it seems the practice has spread to pretty much anyone who owns a flagpole. I have seen a lot of half-masts around here lately, too.

Also, since we have a war on with an almost daily casualty count, it may be local municipalities honoring fallen soldiers from their area. So you'll see it a lot more often.
    In game handle: Steel Scion
    sigpic

Comment

nope the flags at my apartment complex are all at half mass still. Been that way since december, half tempted to request they either pull them or put them back up. I actaully just mentioned this to my wife yesterday.
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

Here in Michigan it's no different. Seems they're hardly ever at full staff.
        | | |

Comment

A President's death puts the flag at half mast for a month, but I have no idea why they would still be at half mast... They haven't been like that around here.
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

A soldier died in Wheaton last week.....is that near you?

Comment

The flags at the local fire hall have been at half-mast for so long that I wonder if they ever get flown at full mast. The police, city, and military all fly their flags at full mast though.

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
              [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
              Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

Originally posted by drew_952 View Post
                A soldier died in Wheaton last week.....is that near you?
                Nope, that's about 3 hours north of me. Cing, I thought a president's death dropped the flags only for two weeks?

Regardless, I'm vaguely annoyed at this whole thing really. I was always under the impression that the flags dropped only when someone really important died, or when a great tragedy happens.

We've had soldiers from this area die in recent years, and that's never lowered the flag; I'm not even sure it's necessarily worthy of a flag lowering on a wide scale. Please don't take this to mean I think a soldier's death is trivial- I was just raised to believe that bringing the flag down happened rarely, and only for a really big reason. I could see things like the flag lowering at the local firehouse when a fireman dies or something, but the University has had its flags down for a long time, along with a bunch of businesses in the area too. Strikes me as kind of odd and makes the half-staff flag lose a lot of meaning.
                [squadl]
                "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan View Post
                  Cing, I thought a president's death dropped the flags only for two weeks?

Regardless, I'm vaguely annoyed at this whole thing really. I was always under the impression that the flags dropped only when someone really important died, or when a great tragedy happens.
                  The Flag Manual

Annex E has the Presidential Proclamation regarding when the flag should be at half mast...

Edit: Here's the actual law: http://www.access.gpo.gov/uscode/title4/chapter1_.html
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

We have a state law here in Michigan that puts the flag down to half mast for a day every time a member of the armed forces dies.
                    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Man, down here in the Southern part of Illinois I swear there hasn't been a full staff flag all year. I don't know what is going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Evo<^|SiNz|^> View Post
                        We have a state law here in Michigan that puts the flag down to half mast for a day every time a member of the armed forces dies.
                        Every time any member of the armed forces die? Or any time someone stationed out of Michigan dies?

If it's every time any member dies, that explains why the flag here in MI is ALWAYS at half staff.
                        | | |

Comment

i went and asked the land lords why the flags where at half staff and her reply was....o we just forgot to put them back up...nice
                          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                          -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Atomic Dog View Post
                            Every time any member of the armed forces die? Or any time someone stationed out of Michigan dies?
                            Sorry, the latter part of that statement is what I meant, sorry for not clarifying. At work I get one or two emails from the Governor's office each week ordering flags around the state to fly half-staff for that reason.
                            "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                            He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Maybe the Chinese are after us! :o

()

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...