• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 Questions for the 2008 Presidential Candidates

Check out this link for the list. Here's one doozy:

Originally posted by The Article
    12) Illinois Sen. Barack Obama
    "In your 2004 campaign for Senate, you approached the issue of a nuclear Iran this way: ‘Us launching some missile strikes into Iran is not the optimal position for us to be in. On the other hand, having a radical Muslim theocracy in possession of nuclear weapons is worse.' How far along would Iran's nuclear program have to get before an Obama administration launched missile strikes?"
    A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Re: 20 Questions for the 2008 Presidential Candidates

Great read, Tybal! Thanks for sharing that with us. I sure as hell hope each and every one of these questions is asked. They were very fair and balanced. Not liberal, conservative, or biased. Just making all politicians accountable for past things. I hate it when politicians skirt around tough questions and get onto a tangent that has nothing to do with the question asked. I can, however, respect a person who can own up to their past mistakes or issues and explain them thoroughly.
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

yeah i'm not worried about giuliani extending his office

first off he won't be able to and second off as a new yorker i wanted him to be mayor again.

(along with alot of other new yorkers)
      Current member of the

Comment

I don't put a lot of stock in the judgment of a mayor who builds a $15 million emergency command "bunker" into the 23rd floor of WTC building 7. Not to mention a host of other weird and awful things he did in office. I understand his hero persona is very popular nationally, but I hope that if he does run, some of the truth of his mayoral term will turn people off. Just a bad leader, IMO.
        In game handle: Steel Scion
        sigpic

Comment

yeah you can critique anyone you want but after mayor koch's craptacular job giuliani cleaned up the city. hookers and all the drugs were very much reduced.
          Current member of the

Comment

While the topics of most of those questions were interesting and important, the phrasing of many of them were completely unfair. They make use of non-sequiturs and illogical juxtaposition to convince an unwitting, or willing, audience into believing things that just arent true, especially when the candidate hasn't even had a chance to respond to these accusations and set the record straight.

Witness Warmonger's response.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
              ...especially when the candidate hasn't even had a chance to respond to these accusations and set the record straight.

Witness Warmonger's response.
              Well exactly my point! These questions would give the candidates a chance to set the record straight or explain themselves to an unknowing audience. How many people talk trash about the President with all sorts of wild conspiracy theories that are unfounded. If some of the tough questions people might have had were asked during the last election, maybe he could have set the record straight on a couple of things that people are still wondering about.
              "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
                [The questions] make use of non-sequiturs and illogical juxtaposition to convince an unwitting, or willing, audience into believing things that just arent true...
                Example?
                A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

Comment

7, 11, 16, and probably 17 and 18, although I'm not terribly familiar with the events in those 2 and the links aren't terribly helpful.

The rest are mostly ok.

Comment

7 and 16 are definitely non-sequitors. I don't know about 17 either, but am pretty sure that 18 is on-target. 11 is totally on target, I don't get the problem with that one? 17 is actually my favorite one.

And about the non-sequitors: The article does describe the twenty "questions" as: "A set of stumpers, nags, and insults for the 2008 field." I think that 7 and 16 could be classified as the latter.

Comment

I never thought I'd find myself defending Hilary over anything...

But what if they had phrased question 11 this way?
                      "Defending your vote in favor of the Iraq resolution, you said: ‘As a senator from New York, I lived through 9/11 and am still dealing with the aftereffects.' How was 9/11 relevant to the decision to invade Iraq?"

Instead of this way?
                      "Defending your vote in favor of the Iraq resolution, you said: ‘As a senator from New York, I lived through 9/11 and am still dealing with the aftereffects.' What was Iraq's role in the 9/11 attacks?"

See how much difference that makes? The phrasing of her quote pretty much implies that the aftereffects of 9/11 were relevant to her decision, so its logical to ask her to defend that implication. However, neither her quote nor any of the logic presented during the Iraq debate even mentioned a possible direct role for Iraq in 9/11 itself, so to ask her to defend that is a non-sequitur.

Comment

I don't think the phrasing made any difference...

It's still just as funny.

Comment

11) New York Sen. Hillary Clinton
                          "Defending your vote in favor of the Iraq resolution, you said: ‘As a senator from New York, I lived through 9/11 and am still dealing with the aftereffects.' What was Iraq's role in the 9/11 attacks?"
                          Haha.. I laughed out loud at this one... great question.

()

Comment

uh not to mention she was living in ny for maybe a year before it happened.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP.../21/sm.12.html

yes the effects of 9/11 must have been very staggering for her.

well i have lived in new york city for 18 years and she is full of it.
                            Current member of the

Comment

They forgot to ask the only question that really matters: Exile on Main Street or Dark Side of the Moon?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X