Vehicles that save lives...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vehicles that save lives...

Anyone see the segment on Nightline tonight, about the vehicles Force Protection Inc. is building for the US Military.

The Cougar and the Buffalo are based, in large part, on the Casspir and the Buffel, premier IFVs of the South African military and police forces from the late 70's onward. The chief scientist involved in developing the South African operational versions is now the CTO of this company who's vehicles are beginning to get traction with the US military in place of the fatally flawed HMMV.

I have the dubious distinction of having spent quite some time in a Buffel, so, I can say with first hand experience, although they are not the most comfortable beasts out there. They are certainly amoungst the safest vehicles ever devised. I have friends that have directly survived AT mine blasts, with no more injury than some guy in the crew getting a broken ankle.

I'm happy to see that my home-countries expertise in non-conventional warfare is finally being put to some use.
    Do or do not, there is no try....
    -- Yoda, Dagobah

Re: Vehicles that save lives...

The Cougar and Buffalo are widely used in theater already. As with the RG31 which is made by a different manufacturer. Those vehicles are simply awesome, they save lives. Their “V-Hull” design directs blasts away from the passenger compartment and has saved countless lives after they ran over an IED. I agree the downside to them is comfort and modularity when it comes to configurations. To me none of that matters when they have a vehicle that does exactly what it claims to do…
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

The harsh reality is that the Stryker and M1A1 are horrific in an urban combat setting. One would think the planners at the Pentagon would have known and taken that into consideration but apprarently they decided it would be better to have our troops riding around getting shredded in Humvees. :(
      “Waiting to be awakened by some unexpected thunderous roar, never dying...the sleeping giant lives and will sleep no more”. - John Seabrook

Comment

Oh great. It probably downs gasoline/crude/lard like a man craving for water after 3 days in the desert.

Can anyone say failed doom? Not to mention once it runs out of gas trying to flee from being destroyed by overwhelming forces, it becomes a immobile target!
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Call me when we make a dropship.

Here is how you may call me:
          Ty (Tie), or Tychus. (Tie-cuss)'. Full pronounciation: Tie-can-dur-us
          -Tychandrus

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
            Oh great. It probably downs gasoline/crude/lard like a man craving for water after 3 days in the desert.

Can anyone say failed doom? Not to mention once it runs out of gas trying to flee from being destroyed by overwhelming forces, it becomes a immobile target!
            i would care less if it used 30 gallons to the mile if it saved 1 life....

gas can be replaced,, lives cant.

Comment

Originally posted by Cappy View Post
              gas can be replaced,, lives cant.
              Are you sure about that?

I was under the impression that there's a finite amount of available petroleum, while I constantly remind my child to behave because I brought him into this world and I can take him out and make another one just like him if he's not careful.
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                Are you sure about that?

I was under the impression that there's a finite amount of available petroleum, while I constantly remind my child to behave because I brought him into this world and I can take him out and make another one just like him if he's not careful.

But if our current war(s) are gonna be fought in oil rich countries does that matter?
                that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR] View Post
                  But if our current war(s) are gonna be fought in oil rich countries does that matter?
                  Not to me! :icon_cool
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Are you sure about that?

The mystery of Eugene Island 330 and self-renewing oil supplies
                    http://www.prisonplanet.com/archives/peak_oil/index.htm

Abiogenic petroleum origin
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenic_petroleum_origin

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Comment

What exactly are the flaws of the HMMWV?

Comment

Originally posted by secret.squirrul View Post
                        What exactly are the flaws of the HMMWV?
                        Big target
                        Doesnt really come with much or any armour, thats an "add on"

And its time to update the vehicles our troops are useing. Maybe something a little cheaper and better equiped. The hummer was designed for a european war, made just wide enough for the rail tunnels and streets.
                        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                        -Vulcan

Comment

I constantly remind my child to behave because I brought him into this world and I can take him out and make another one just like him if he's not careful.
                          Dad?!
                          The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                          I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                          Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X