• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 300 Noobs

Lol. Noobs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H41h994hF6I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I4kagxiSq4

It's hilarious how serious people took this work of fiction which was sort of loosely based on a historical legend that remains a legend. Like I said in the 300 thread in the general section, I doubt anyone with half a brain truly believes that the Persians were running around with 40 foot tall elephants, giant rhinos, and dudes with blades for arms. I'm pretty sure most people understand that it's fictional. Don't pretty much all movies that are even sort of based on a true story say they are at the beginning or the end of the movie? This one didn't.
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Re: 300 Noobs

I know that this movie was based off of a graphic novel.

I know that the graphic novel a reinterpretation of the original event.

I know that the original event was a real one (I've dabbled in classics history).

I know that it is technically very possible to defend a small cleft in a cliff from a massive force like that (military history).

But mutant Russians or Ninja armies? Well... I don't know about that. As for War Elephants...

The Persian armies did have War Elephants which were used as archery platforms. Arguably one of the earliest examples of a tank in ancient history.

Never heard of rhinos being used in the army. Besides. Real rhinos are known to charge at butterflies. They'll charge at anything that moves out of pure instinct. Getting one calm enough to equip it with armour, then getting it out onto a field would be a huge challenge.

The dude with the bonesaws for arms? He was awesome.

Here is how you may call me:
    Ty (Tie), or Tychus. (Tie-cuss)'. Full pronounciation: Tie-can-dur-us
    -Tychandrus

Comment

Haha! I love how the guy in the second video claims he knows all about his Persian culture. Really? He was around in 480 B.C.? Ignorant moron. They may know some of what went on... but they don't know EXACTLY what happened back then.... they don't even know exactly how many fought the Spartans.

Ummm... plus it's a movie too? Oh yeah, that's right.

This one is funny too... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQG18NYOk-c.

()

Comment

I'm one of those people who don't think Ahmadinejad is such a bad guy (nor do I think modern Iran is so terrible), but I also think they went waaaaay overboard saying this is some sort of propagandistic slam of Persian culture. It's a bleeding MOVIE. And how many theaters in the Mideast are going to carry the damn thing, anyway??

And what's this about mutant Russians....tell me, tell me!

-=Эл Кейси=-
        За Родину!

Comment

Wtf is Persia? Why is Iran upset about some other country?

The above questions are likely what the majority of people who see this movie are asking.
          [squadl]
          "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Iran was Persia back in the day. They officially changed their name to Iran in the 1930's if I'm not mistaken. It cracks me up how many people take their ancient heritage so seriously, and get so easily offended 3000 years later. I'm thinking if they love Persia ssssooooo much, then why don't they rename Iran back to Persia again? I have a lot of German heritage. So should I have gotten pissed off when "Gladiator" portrayed the Germanic hordes as being a bunch of blood thirsty brutes? No! Because, A) it's a friggin' entertainment movie and not a documentary, and B) who cares how someone from 2000 years ago is portrayed.

Comment

That sure would be a lot of feces.

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                B) who cares how someone from 2000 years ago is portrayed.
                These guys do. And so do a lot of others.

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
                [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
                Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

Originally posted by Diceman View Post
                  These guys do. And so do a lot of others.
                  So are you trying to say that what the persians did 2000 years ago is how the Iranians established there religious beliefs?

Good point about christians caring about 2000 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by jonan_ View Post
                    So are you trying to say that what the persians did 2000 years ago is how the Iranians established there religious beliefs?
                    No; I am only emphasizing that the past - even what some would declare to be the distant, irrelevant past - remains relevant (emotionally, spiritually, physically) to effectively all of humanity. It should not be dismissed out of hand.
                    Good point about christians caring about 2000 years ago.
                    Thank you.

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
                    [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
                    Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

Good point. But surely, I don't think that we can compare Jesus to the pagan, Xerxes. Do Iranians hold Xerxes in the same light as the prophet Mohammed? I wouldn't think so. But you do make a really great point, nonetheless. Now ya got me thinking.

Comment

That sure would be a lot of feces.
                        yes that would. :row__523: lol
                        why would he be wondering about that?
                        -F- Darksteel

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                          Iran was Persia back in the day. They officially changed their name to Iran in the 1930's if I'm not mistaken.
                          For the record, I know that Iran was Persia. However, in today's world of kids not being able to name all 6 continents, I'm pretty sure the people that see this movie and make the connection are few and far between.
                          [squadl]
                          "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan View Post
                            For the record, I know that Iran was Persia. However, in today's world of kids not being able to name all 6 continents, I'm pretty sure the people that see this movie and make the connection are few and far between.
                            I will admit I would have never made the connection. In my defense, as an engineer I wasn't required to take any history or geography classes. At least I do know that there are 7 continents :)

Comment

North America, South America, Africa, Europe, Australia, Asia and Antarctica.

Thats 7 but i think it could be 6 if you put N and S America and just call it America. Could someone please correct me if i'm wrong.
                              |TG|Gabriel87
                              Favorite quotes and sayings:

Teacher, Tommy you got a fairy godmother.
                              Tommy, No, but we got an uncle we keep a close eye on.

*If anyone knows or has seen Markopilot please let him know that his gunner misses him and would like to talk to him agian. He knows me by Gabriel87.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X