Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cool experiment to uncover multiple dimensions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cool experiment to uncover multiple dimensions?

Does anyone know anything about the CERN experiments going on in Switzerland? I saw this special on the Discovery Channel last week that was talking about an upcoming experiment in this huge complex about 100 metres under the earth near Lake Geneva. It looked amazing, now this is my uneducated summary, but apparently the team involved will be blasting protons through this electro magnetic tube that is 27 kilometres in circumference, and if the protons leak out, it will indicate the potential of multiple dimensions where gravity, magnetism and nuclear physics do not apply... sounds like Black Mesa to me... but it is very cool indeed:

this is wikipedia's entry on CERN, it doesn't mention anything about multiple dimensions though.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CERN

Re: cool experiment to uncover multiple dimensions?

If I rememeber correctly CERN is the worlds largest particle accelerator. The US was building one in Texas but is has been canned and restarted so many times that I don't know it's status.

There is a smaller one near here in Oak Ridge (The birthplace of the atomic bomb). The SNS project in Oak Ridge:
    http://www.sns.gov/
    Retired 6th DB

Comment

Great! Just watch a new black hole in the universe mysteriously start in Switzerland. I personally believe in alternate dimensions, but I don't know if we should mess with them. Watch them break the space-time continuom or people start magically disappearing or replicating. Poof! Cool stuff never the less, though. I'm happy to hear that scientists still have imaginations. That's when innovation happens.
      "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
        Great! Just watch a new black hole in the universe mysteriously start in Switzerland. I personally believe in alternate dimensions, but I don't know if we should mess with them. Watch them break the space-time continuom or people start magically disappearing or replicating. Poof! Cool stuff never the less, though. I'm happy to hear that scientists still have imaginations. That's when innovation happens.
        Beware of subspace or the shivans will come! :icon_eek:
        I don't know if they're gay though (poofs) :row__572:
        Your mouse has moved, please restart windows for the change to take effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Franko View Post
          it will indicate the potential of multiple dimensions where gravity, magnetism and nuclear physics do not apply... sounds like Black Mesa to me... but it is very cool indeed:
          They've had the "Multiple universes" theory for quite some time, but it's been in the realm of pure theory.

It's based around the premise that if the big bang happened once, it can happen multiple times when you consider that all the laws of this universe (the speed of light, time, etc) were created by the big bang. I remember reading that at one point, all laws in the universe were unified except gravity. Gravity has always been purported to be a constant, although I have no idea why (the "high-end" of astrophysics escapes me).

It's basically a counter-point to the argument that the universe is too well laid out for life to be a coincidence. If there were untold number of universes out there whose laws of physics were different just enough for life to be impossible to form there, then the probabilities go way down for a universe existing with life.

Comment

Gravity has always been, despite being the most obvious, the most mysterious of the universe's forces. Why? Because it is so, unbelievably, pathetically, and remarkably, WEAK.

This is main reason we believe that there is something "beyond" our universe and for that matter other universes that are just beyond our "cone of light".

Gravity has to come from somewhere and we have serious doubts as to if it is in the framework of our universe along with electro-magnetism, the strong nuclear force, and the weak nuclear force.

That combines quite well with the experiments at CERN, which will test this tremendously interesting theory by scanning for the supposed additional 7 dimensions (11-Dimensional Supergravity, similar to M-theory, if you want to look it up) by trying to figure out where the hell the remaining parts of smashed protons end up.

However, don't get your hopes up for us all to be able to walk into "Dimension X", because these dimensions are so unbelievably small and wrapped up within one another that not only can we not see them, but matter from our universe has a tremendously difficult time being small enough to pass into them.

-Zephyr
            You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
            We are not a single game.
            We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
            We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

Originally posted by Zephyr View Post
              However, don't get your hopes up for us all to be able to walk into "Dimension X", because these dimensions are so unbelievably small and wrapped up within one another that not only can we not see them, but matter from our universe has a tremendously difficult time being small enough to pass into them.

-Zephyr
              Amazing insight, now I wonder because you say it is highly unlikely to walk through to another dimension, can this not be part of the problem with the way we think about matter? Matter, in the human form is shaped by forces like gravity, etc... but consciousness is different, though most would argue its confined by matter, most traditional societies argue quite the opposite, or at least leave the possibility open that multiple dimensions can be explored through meditation or drugs.

Comment

Gravity and Matter are just things that were made up to help us all live nice quiet lives without questioning anything. But since you all seem to want to know the answer to these questions, I will give it to you, but be warned, anyone who knows the answer will most likely disapear and never be found again....

The answer to Gravity, Matter, and the whole "Laws of the Universe" on a whole is this... We are living in a Virtual World called the "Matrix". Nothing is real, anything can happen. We are all just Fuel for the machines that took over our Earth many thaousounds of years ago.

The only question that now remains for you all is the following....

"Do you choose the Red Pill or the Blue Pill?"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X