Sign of past life on Saturn?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sign of past life on Saturn?

What could this be? I am not one to believe in such things, but this almost seems unreal.

Link to image

Re: Sign of past life on Saturn?

It looks more like a natural phenomenon to me. The "thing" looks like a fractal, which appears in nature every now and then.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Yeah, you could be right. But the thread title caught your attention, no?

Comment

Only so we could come here to get a good laugh at your expense and mock you until you cry ;):row__642:

BTW: that's obviously a ghost from The Dig (LucasArts adventure-game from the 90s)
        Your mouse has moved, please restart windows for the change to take effect.

Comment

Originally posted by whistler View Post
          But the thread title caught your attention, no?
          No, the forum it was posted in caught my attention. I have this problem, see, and I have to read and reply to every post in General Discussion and The Sandbox.
          The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
          I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
          Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

It looks like a fractal? How so?

Comment

Did you see the picture? I'm not saying I can identify an algorithm for replicating it, but it seems to have a pattern that can be produced by fractals. Then again, that could just be the poor quality of the image working against me.
              Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Originally posted by ednos View Post
                No, the forum it was posted in caught my attention. I have this problem, see, and I have to read and reply to every post in General Discussion and The Sandbox.
                You too? What's it called? :row__632:

Comment

It appears to be a strain of the Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. I developed it from being away from a gaming computer for a week, but keeping access to the forums.
                  Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Bommando
                    Yes, and then I promptly dismissed it as Spam, considering the linked article makes no mention of the patterns being indicative of life.

If it's attention you want, glue a Frisbee to your forehead and run naked around a crowded mall shouting "watch me fly!"

Alternatively, post an article from Yahoo news with a misleading title to reference it.

Whatever floats your boat.
                    Well, I misread the article, not noticing that it was a weather pattern. Had it not been, then my thread title might have been kind of accurate. So I didn't think my thread title was misleading at the time I posted it. Though, it is my fault for not fully RTA. I'll make sure I read the article twice next time. I'd hate to gain a reputation as a spammer.
                    Last edited by whistler; 03-28-2007, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by whistler View Post
                      RTFA
                      I'm not sure that's entirely appropriate in a non-UNIX community. Oh, and watch your language, too.
                      Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Originally posted by ednos View Post
                        Did you see the picture? I'm not saying I can identify an algorithm for replicating it, but it seems to have a pattern that can be produced by fractals. Then again, that could just be the poor quality of the image working against me.
                        Um, yeah, but I'm not seeing how the parts of it are similar to the whole. We can't even make out what the parts look like. Is there some reason that you think if we magnify a portion of this thing we'll see hexagons?

I take it the reason why astronmers find this thing facinating is that it's exactly NOT like a fractal. It looks like a simple hexagon "lying in a precise geometric fashion with six nearly equally straight sides," as descibed by the scientist quoted in the article. The sorts of objects that we might describe as fractal found in nature are things like cloud formations, mountains, and lightning bolts. Those things are highly irregular in shape where, presumably, a magnification of a portion of it looks similar to the whole. That's why we might describe those things as being fractal or fractal-like.

Comment

Many fractals are very symmetrical. I can't think of any at the moment, but if I remember any names, I'll get back to you.
                          Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Yes, they can be. But, it's not symmetry that I'm pointing out.

Comment

I didn't exactly read the article... I looked at the picture. Allow me to educate myself before I open my mouth again.
                              Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X