Any Circuit City employees here?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Circuit City employees here?

Straight-up lay-offs happen all the time.... "downsizing" or whatever you call it. But this? I've NEVER heard of this...

"The electronics retailer, facing larger competitors and falling sales, said Wednesday that it would lay off about 3,400 store workers immediately and replace them with lower-paid new hires as soon as possible. The laid-off workers, about 8 percent of the company's total work force, would get a severance package and a chance to reapply for their former jobs, at lower pay, after a 10-week delay, the company said."

Ouch!

Re: Any Circuit City employees here?

Holy crap! That is horrible! I was planning on getting a new cell phone through circuit city this weekend. I think I'll shop around some more now.
    Retired 6th DB

Comment

I think that the various American airlines have done things like this in the recent past; perhaps not exactly the same, but forcing people to take lower pay is not pretty!

This is a serious issue for companies: Employees expect to receive their X% raise per year, and they will leave if they don't get it. Well, after 20 years of X% wage increases, you're paying people [20*X%*(Salary)] compounded; and when a new competitor enters the market paying only [(Salary)], it leaves the longstanding company at a severe competitive disadvantage.

A company associated with my employer, for example, recently lost a competitive bid to maintain an operation it had been running for well over twenty years. The new companies - the other bidders - could afford to undercut our bid by paying lower labor costs; with the exception of a few experienced managers, their newly hired work force would be paid starting wages whilst the existing operation's employees have been working for over two decades and are therefore paid much more.

This situation is not enirely unusual: companies do find themselves in the unenviable position of either forcing their employees to take pay cuts or going out of business and inavertently forcing all employees to find new jobs.
      A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

That is pretty bold to come out and say "and replace them with lower-paid new hires". Not the normal way to do job cuts.

If there is any gleem of light from this, should I be expecting any decent sales from them soon?
        "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

For those employees about to get fired. Not a problem. Take the severence package and then go get a job at Home Depot. They are hiring a lot right now due to customer complaints about there not being enough employees. If I worked retail, I wouldn't worry about it anyhow. Getting laid off is a good excuse to move up in life instead of being stuck in a job with low ceilings like most of the retail world.
          "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Circuit City sucks-Newegg rules. Maybe they should think about how their products are over priced rather then their workforce. It's not the employees responsibility to get people in the door. It's just like radio shack, when they did email firings a few months back. Left a bad taste in my mind. If they treat there employees like that, whats the chance of me getting a fair deal there. Nada. I think all the employees should walk out in protest. Where the HELL is Jimmy Hoffa?

Comment

If the severance is large enough, this is more of a hit to the company itself than to the employees. I mean, how hard can it be to get a job comparable to circuit city? AND you get severance?

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
                Where the HELL is Jimmy Hoffa?
                Probably right there.
                Your mouse has moved, please restart windows for the change to take effect.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigC View Post
                  If there is any gleem of light from this, should I be expecting any decent sales from them soon?
                  Wow, you're terrible.

Comment

No, they never have decent sales... no offense to any Circuit City executives that might be reading this.
                    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Sorry to see this happen. More competition is better for the consumers. My local CC occasionally has some decent deals, but I get most of my hardware from the egg.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

Nothing in life is guaranteed, even really crappy jobs.
                        Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

I worked for CC back in 97-2000 (when it was commission) and it was a really fun, cool place to work and you could make a decent living ($40,000 plus was not unheard of). Left to pursue other opportunities but went back in 05 for $9.50/hr because I needed a job really bad so figured I would try it out. Talk about a climate change, the management model had completely changed as well as the selling culture of the company. Really sucks, at one point it was a great company to work for. :(
                          |TG-Irr|Avengingllama
                          I used to eat paint chips. Now I just drink the paint because I couldn't find a salsa that went well with the chips and they were dry =)

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
                            Maybe they should think about how their products are over priced rather then their workforce.
                            That would be nice if everyone did that.

()

Comment

I can't say the callousness of this suprises me at all. I work as a programmer and the IT industry has pretty much stopped caring how they treat their employees. Half the time we aren't even called employees anymore. They talk about the number of FTE's (Full Time Equivalents) assigned to this or that project or region.

We have lost at least two thirds or our local staff to replacements in Brazil, and for years the environment has been one where more "rightsizing" (my personal favorite) can happen at any moment. Bad enough working a job with zero security, but now you spend half your time helping someone for whom english is a distant second language, essentially training them to potentially replace you.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X