Life in the 'Knife

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life in the 'Knife

Annually in Yellowknife is an event called "Caribou Carnival". CBC was at the recent Carnival - March 23, 24, 25 - and published these pictures on the national website.

For anyone who is interested in an excerpt of Yellowknife Life.

http://www.cbc.ca/photogallery/canada/392/

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
    [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
    Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Re: Life in the 'Knife

Thats neat. Thanks Dice!
    sigpic

Comment

Very cool.

And to think that I was about to post about how cool it was that it's snowing right now here in Texas. In April. In Texas.

I bet it gets scary cold up there in the winter, huh?
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

How thick is the Ice Highway this year?

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
          Very cool.

And to think that I was about to post about how cool it was that it's snowing right now here in Texas. In April. In Texas.

I bet it gets scary cold up there in the winter, huh?
          Heh - scary cold can be a relative term. This year, I think the coldest it got was -45 C, plus wind chill. But that was only for a couple of days, max. I have seen winters here get as low as -80 C - and they still didn't close the schools!

But generally speaking, the winters are much milder the past few years than during my childhood.

That said, when I brought my then future-wife to Yk for the first time, we arrived a couple of days before Christmas (from Calgary), and the temp was about -60 C. She was not impressed. :)

Originally posted by Comrade Franko View Post
          How thick is the Ice Highway this year?
          I'm not sure - they stop measuring ice thickness once it gets to safe levels. I'm guessing maybe 6 feet thick probably. As noted above, the winters are milder these past few years, and this is actually causing a number of problems in supplying the diamond camps that operate north of Yellowknife with enough fuel for the year. There is no road access to these camps - it would be too expensive to build - and the camps are not on the mackenzie (so it can't be barged in during the summer). So they try to truck the annual fuel load in during the winter ice road season. Last year set a record for least duration - 42 operational days. The ice road is still in effect this year, but they've started shutting down some of the runs, and limited the maximum weight.

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
          [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
          Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

pretty cool read. thanks for the insight.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Cool stuff! Literally.

I've become a wet-coast wimp. I remember going for a family walk one Christmas eve in -35C. These days...ahhh, no thanks!

Cheers,

|

It is the rule in war, if ten times the enemy's strength, surround them; if five times, attack them;
              if double, engage them; if equal, be able to divide them; if fewer, be able to evade them; if weaker, be able to avoid them.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X