X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vimy Ridge

90 years ago today.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Re: Vimy Ridge

Wow that was a great read. The saddest part is that I had never heard that story before. At least I don't remember it if I had.

Our brothers (and sisters) in the north get a nod of respect.
    Retired 6th DB

Comment

To be honest with you, I never learned in a history class that Canada was even a part of the war. Now, I took fake history classes during high school to avoid the subjects while still fulfilling the requirements, but still... I should've heard it somewhere. Especially something like 150,000-man losses followed by a success.
      The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
      I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
      Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Yeah, our northern brothers contributed quite a bit to both WWI & WWII. They had some of the best soldiers and pilots in the world. Reading that story gave me a chuckle because it reminded me of how easy it was to run over and occupy France. They got trampled by the Germans...twice! Lol.
        "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

A few months after vimy the Canadian divisions were sent to Passchendaele. Rains and shelling turned the land into muddy wastes, with soldiers actually drowning in the mud. Even greater losses here than vimy (300,000+ allied, 270,000 german), the town was eventually taken by the allies, only to be lost again the next spring.

Passchendaele is near Ypres in Belgium, where the poem In Flanders Fields was written by a Canadian Doctor John Mcrae in one of the earlier battles of the war.

Wikipedia article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Battle_of_Ypres

note the before and after aerial photo

Comment

Shortest book never written: French War Heroes.

But beyond that, I gotta say that I don't really hear much about the Canadian military and I'm sure they are as badass as our regulars.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X