Kiva.org -personal loans for global economic independence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kiva.org -personal loans for global economic independence

I saw this piece on Frontline 'World' last night and just signed on with the site today. I think it's a great example of how the Internet can become a powerful tool for human connections - in this case, for entrepreneurs in developing countries.

http://www.kiva.org
    Kiva lets you connect with and loan money to unique small businesses in the developing world. By choosing a business on Kiva.org, you can "sponsor a business" and help the world's working poor make great strides towards economic independence. Throughout the course of the loan (usually 6-12 months), you can receive email journal updates from the business you've sponsored. As loans are repaid, you get your loan money back.

Re: Kiva.org -personal loans for global economic independence

As loans are repaid, you get your loan money back.
    Sorry to go straight off-topic but I just had a rather big "duh" moment.

Comment

Wow, just wait until the Nigerian scammers hear about this...

[/cynicism]
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I don't think this program would appeal to schemers that much. The loan amounts are relatively slow. And after watching the story there is allot of hands on, face to face type interaction. Usually there is one or more respected people that vote on weather or not the individual gets the loan.

Not to say that they couldn't scam it. Just doesn't look like a program that would be atractive to them.
        Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

You'd be really surprised how far a couple of hundred dollars will go in Africa.
          Do or do not, there is no try....
          -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Originally posted by gunjunkie View Post
            You'd be really surprised how far a couple of hundred dollars will go in Africa.
            You are right. That is the point of these small loans, a couple hundred dollars can change a persons life.

But the spot, and the radio piece I heard on it and the article I read, makes it seem like the risk of being caught and the chance of actually getting the money seems pretty low.

Now I could see some of them starting Kiba.org or Keva.org to scam money that way.
            Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
            - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
            - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Yeah, I wasn't actually commenting on the scam potential, I can see how my comment might be taken that way. The comment I made above is that programs like these (and other microlending initiatives I know are happening in South Africa, for instance) take almost nothing from a resonably well off American or European, and the impact of even a couple of hundred dollars to an African entrepreneur is massive.
              Do or do not, there is no try....
              -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...