Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The DoJ and Regent "University"

http://www.boston.com/news/education...school/?page=1

It's amazing what falls out when congress starts shaking the executive tree. I found this article on the recent ties between Regent University Law School and the Bush administration pretty disturbing. And there's that name again... Rove.

In a recent Regent law school newsletter, a 2004 graduate described being interviewed for a job as a trial attorney at the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division in October 2003. Asked to name the Supreme Court decision from the past 20 years with which he most disagreed, he cited Lawrence v. Texas, the ruling striking down a law against sodomy because it violated gay people's civil rights.

"When one of the interviewers agreed and said that decision in Lawrence was 'maddening,' I knew I correctly answered the question," wrote the Regent graduate . The administration hired him for the Civil Rights Division's housing section -- the only employment offer he received after graduation, he said.

Re: The DoJ and Regent "University"

Conservative anti-homosexual administration hires someone who appears to have like minded beliefs. It's politics, this shouldnt surprise you.

I'm a very mixed bag politically, most of which has been influenced by my own personal experiences. I tend to lean more toward the republican side of things, but on the gay issue, I believe that homosexual couples should enjoy all the same rights and priveleges as heterosexual couples. I'm sure that there are a lot of people who wont agree, but I feel that taking our cues from a two thousand year old text which has more basis in folklore than fact is erroneous. Dont get me wrong, i'm not downplaying religion, but having religion as a political guideline isnt the best course of action. Our islamic friends use religion as the sole crux of their political actions and we condemn that while a large population would support the united states using a similar tactic with regards to christianity. It's a very hypocritical standpoint to take.

I feel that we should take a much more recent text for advice politically, one written by the founding fathers of our own country: the Declaration of Independence. I do believe that it entitles ALL men (read: in a modern time, all people) to certain inalienable rights, one of which being the pursuit of happiness. What greater happiness in life is there than the love of a partner? If all of us are entitled to those rights by the founding declaration of this country, why do we try so hard to deny certain people that right?

Intolerance breeds conflict out of lack of understanding. There will always be people that will not understand a homosexual lifestyle and will therefore find an internal reason for malice and bigotry toward people who lead one. However, if the same rights that heterosexuals are entitled to are recognized for homosexuals, then, over time, those dissenters and bigots and fanatics will become a small minority who are nothing more than an afterthought.

Humanity is an ever changing species and we must cope with the changes in whatever form they manifest. Homosexuality is not a problem. It is not a plague. It doesnt hurt anyone. Perhaps we should embrace it as a new change in our own society and work for the best, rather than pushing the issue into a corner and poking it with a stick, as we are so fond of doing.

Comment

You should talk to Root about politics.
      The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
      I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
      Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
        Conservative anti-homosexual administration hires someone who appears to have like minded beliefs. It's politics, this shouldnt surprise you.
        I think what most people miss is that Regent doesn't just represent "conservative" education. The polisci philosophy they teach and advocate is profoundly different from what we take for granted as "The American Way." Robertson and other Christianists (note the distinction from Christians) or Dominionists advocate a reduction in civil government to it's most basic, critical functions. While that may appeal to many small-government conservatives, the next step is less appealing - the rise of regional churches with judicial and legislative authority parallel to or exceeding that of the federal government.

This current generation of Regent graduates may be mostly ideological and incompetent (which illustrates the continued poor judgment and partisanship of this administration in hiring them for career positions), but the next generation will be both skilled legal experts and true believers. That should give anyone who really cares about our national institutions pause before allowing them anywhere near the levers of government.
        In game handle: Steel Scion
        sigpic

Comment

Why do you hate God/America, Steeler?

Comment

Paul Krugman just printed an op/ed in the NYTimes explaining why he believes this 'infiltration of the federal government by large numbers of people seeking to impose a religious agenda' is one of most important stories in the past six years. I agree with that asessment. It's why I posted the Globe article here. I'm sure some will disagree with me, but there should be no disagreement among the facts that this story has exposed.

I realize that politics rule many aspects of executive government and that it is certainly within the bounds of executive priviledge to make appointments which are undoubtedly shaped by political factors. These unqualified, (very) far off the mainstream appointments and hirings (and firings) are dispicably out of line to the point of being offensive to anyone who didn't attend or support Regent University or is in love with Karl Rove. Now they are shredding emails (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/13/wa...13emails.html). At least they have the decency to be ashamed of themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by thebleakaffinity View Post
              Why do you hate God/America, Steeler?
              LOL! That was funny!
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I find this to be incredibly repugnant. If these idoitic "chistianists" want a theocracy, then let's find them their own island to call home. I'll provide all of the kool-aid they want.

Sometimes I feel like 2/3'rds Rice Krispies. Past "Snap" and "Crackle" but just shy of "Pop"!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X