R.I.P. Kurt Vonnegut

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. Kurt Vonnegut

Kurt Vonnegut, whose dark comic talent and urgent moral vision in novels like “Slaughterhouse-Five,” “Cat’s Cradle” and “God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater” caught the temper of his times and the imagination of a generation, died Wednesday night in Manhattan.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/11/bo...rssnyt&emc=rss

Re: R.I.P. Kurt Vonnegut

A great mind is now gone.

We need more people like him. But not too many.
    I’m not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Indeed...

Comment

Man... he's probably much happier wherever he is now because he had been quite disgruntled with living for some time, but man what an insightful author. I remember reading Slaughterhouse-5 and being completely stunned for for quite some time afterward. Last I heard him was on the CBC last year when he was interviewed about the Patriot Act, and when the host thanked him for his time, he responded, 'Oh why don't you go jump in a Lake!' and then hung up on her, I almost drove off the road it was so funny.

Comment

The last sane man on earth has left us :( I'm really crushed by this, he was a beautiful person.

Comment

Nooooo... now all I've got left are Heinlein (crap, he's dead), Asimov (crap, he's dead), and Frankl (crap, he's dead).
            The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
            I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
            Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Very sad news. KV was a model secular humanist, satirist, instigator, eye opener, joker, civil libertarian and hands down my favorite author. He's the single most (personally) influential writer I've ever read.

So it goes...
              Last edited by Beatnik; 04-12-2007, 02:03 AM.
              Beatnik

Comment

he knew it was coming, and seemed at peace with it from what I could tell with interviews etc in the past few years.
                This is a solemn occasion, but also a date to mark time. Today is the day vonnegut died. Who will fill such large shoes? As much as I am saddened, I am grateful that there is now room for a fresh voice, a new iconoclast.

I can only hope that

"Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt""

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Beatnik View Post
                  Very sad news. KV was a model secular humanist, satirist, instigator, eye opener, joker, civil libertarian and hands down my favorite author. He's the single most (personally) influential writer I've ever read.

So it goes...
                  Nice touch with the avatar beat....
                  sigpic
                  |TG-1st|Grunt
                  ARMA Admin (retired)
                  Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I was a little surprised to hear that it was brain injuries related to a minor fall two weeks ago that killed him, but then again, that's what happens when you get old. He was no fool - he was a lot of things, but a fool he was not. He knew he was getting near the end.

Did anyone here read his last book, 'A Man Without a Country?' He was a fervent critic of the current President and his administration (one of several things we share in common). I didn't read it, but I need to. At the time I didn't really know for sure if it was to be his last work. It certainly was.

'and so it goes' finally for Kurt himself.

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post
                      Did anyone here read his last book, 'A Man Without a Country?'
                      I read it when it first came out. It's a good read - not really a novel as much as musings on the state of the world at that time (2003-2004?). It's worth picking up.
                      Beatnik

Comment

Breakfast of Champions (a.k.a. Goodbye Blue Monday) is one of my favorite books of all time. I got hooked on vonnegut my sophomore year of high school when we had to read Slaughterhouse Five and Cat's Cradle. He was one of the greats and will be missed.

Comment

I recently read Slaughterhouse-Five, and it's one of the more gut-twisting books I've read. It's sad to see Kurt Vonnegut follow the champagne bubbles.

So it goes indeed.

Comment

Anyone who just said "So it goes" missed the ENTIRE point of the book.
                            The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                            I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                            Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Anyone who says someone misses the ENTIRE point of a book misses the entire point of literature.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X