Poor people

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor people

Did anyone have the chance to read the last book by William T Vollman?
    I read a short description of this last(Poor People) book and it seems like a great read.

In short he is travelling the world interviewing poor people asking them "Why are you poor". He meets with people such as a man from the cleanupcrew int Chernobyl and young mother working as a streetsweepers from Thailand.
    All with different stories to their current situation.
    --
    VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Re: Poor people

No, sounds like a good read though. I should really get back into reading again...
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Indeed. Thanks for the mention of the book, Panzer. I might order it once I can sell off some the textbooks I won't be needing.

|TG-Irr| ThePenguineer ::: |TG-Irr| Pengie the Noob
      TG-Irregulars Commanding Officer
      ||

Comment

Re: More Interesting Reads...

Hate to double post, but while I was reading something else in the Sandbox, I thought of a book I'm reading for political Science. It's called Culture War by Fiorina and refutes the notion that there is a strong polarization in the general American population on a number of issues, including abortion and homosexuality.

Really makes you think who you're actually trying to fight against when you debate in here...

|TG-Irr| ThePenguineer ::: |TG-Irr| Pengie the Noob
        TG-Irregulars Commanding Officer
        ||

Comment

One of the most interesting things about America is its perception of class - virtually no one would dare admit to being working class, instead choosing to describe themselves as different levels of "middle class." It seems that class is defined by your status as a consumer, rather than your status as a laborer.

Comment

Never thought of it like that, bleak. Interesting.
            In game handle: Steel Scion
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thebleakaffinity View Post
              One of the most interesting things about America is its perception of class - virtually no one would dare admit to being working class, instead choosing to describe themselves as different levels of "middle class." It seems that class is defined by your status as a consumer, rather than your status as a laborer.
              That's because working class/laborers are pretty much middle class nowadays in terms of lifestyle. Many of the "working class" have color tv's (many with cable), homes with more than one bedroom, and many other amenities that used to be associated with middle class or higher. My in-laws were Mexican-American migrant workers some 40 years ago. My mother-in-law grew up with 7 siblings in a tiny one bedroom house. When they went to work the fields up North, they'd sleep on dirt floors. Back then, many people who worked hard truly were poor. They didn't have tv's. Nowadays, I know people on their own who make minimum wage and have kids, but can afford an apartment, have flat-screen tv's, and go out to party all the time. The only true low-class nowadays are losers who don't want to work or can't manage their money worth a damn.
              "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

For once i actually agree with something you have to say. One thing about class -ful societys is that you cant make everyone happy. One class is always gonna get the shaft. My opinion is the white middle class gets the shaft all to often, i know that sounds racist and ignorant, but its true.

Problem is, we will never get rid of class in the american society, its been with us since the first day of the pilgrims settled.
                that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                  Nowadays, I know people on their own who make minimum wage and have kids, but can afford an apartment, have flat-screen tv's, and go out to party all the time. The only true low-class nowadays are losers who don't want to work or can't manage their money worth a damn.
                  Are you sure they both make minimum wage? Federal minimum wage or state? And how big is their credit card bill? Do they have insurance? Does the state or employer pay for said insurance? Who pays for childcare? Does a relative or friend do it for free? Are the kids working also? Is there some kind of trust fund they are living off of? Lots and lots of overtime?

Are they cooking up meth in the spare bedroom?

I ask these question because two people working 40 hours a week at 7.25/hr 52 weeks a year grosses $30160. My child care for two kids in the state of Oklahoma (cheap livin') is $170 a week. That is about $8840/year. My health insurance is 620 a month and it isn't the bestest. That is another 7440/year. I figure housing and utilities is at minimum 600/month. That is another 7200/year. Already at 23480 leaving 6680 for the whole year.

I haven't subtracted food, medicine, partying, flat screen tv bills, cable, phone, gas, car payments, car insurance, clothing, FICA or anything else.

What is their secret? Or are they gettin some sweet government help?
                  Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                  - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                  - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                  - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                  - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                  - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                  - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                    What is their secret? Or are they gettin some sweet government help?
                    Bingo. WIC baby! Also Medicare. My friend doesn't pay for health insurance. WIC's totally helped him with his baby. Checkups, formula, everything. If you're broke, then why you paying for everything like a sukka? Actually, I believe it's wrong to rely on government programs, but whatever. The helps out there for those who need it.
                    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Ahh, I thought so. Not being judge mental or anything. I grew up on the governments teet*. While in college I used Medicare to pay for my daughters medical.

Actually I have always lived off the government. First the Navy, then college and all those sweet loans and grants, then working for a book company that sold primarily to public schools. And now I write software at a company that sells to municipalities and schools.

It's all good. Peace out.

*Edit. I have to add that my mother worked her butt off to raise me and my two brothers on her own. But $1.50 and hour plus tips in rural Okie Homy just doesn't pay all the bills. I could tell stories about being poor, boy could I.
                      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Bleak, you've just summarized quite nicely the disparity between visual or perceptive economic class separation and true economic class separation.

There is in fact a strong undercurrent of class in American society today that receives little to no recognition. Referring to my previous statement (reflection on Bleak's observation), many people think they are in the middle class because they can afford a certain lifestyle (visual class), and seem to be earning above the 'median' income. In fact, they are not even close to the top wage earners in the country economically. When viewed in detail, such disparities create very disasterous effects - namely bankruptcy, debt, and the total lack of savings.

Much in the area of 'class' is not what it seems to be...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X