Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest started a topic CHECK OUT THIS BS

CHECK OUT THIS BS

Disclaimer..... If you or any member of your household work for Comcast, The DOJ, the FCC or McDonalds, DO NOT continue reading. This post is a private statement made to a community of friends and not intended to be used outside of this community. The author accepts no responsibility for any comments taken out of context, misconstrued, or taken as serious in any form of fashion..........

ok, I got a letter in the mail today from comcast, my ISP....

It seems that I have gone over my acceptable use for the month of September.

When I called to ask what my limit was as I never recalled seeing this, I was told that there was no limit....... So I asked why I would recieve a letter.... they said that their customers are graded on a curve and that if everyone around me was using x amount of bandwidth, that I would be constrained to this amount as well........ Being as how I live in a community that is mostly elderly individuals, I would assume that my limit is extremely low.

I asked how I was expected to stay under a limit that I had no control over and had no way to judge, and no way to gauge even from month to month and they said there was nothing they could do..... They could not tell me what "acceptable use" constituted, but told me that I was expected to adhere to it. If I continued to exceed this invisible and incomprehensible limit, I would be disconnected.... (if this is all you are going to do....... It's on.)

So here is my solution...... I am going to download 24/7 365 and just delete it... I am going to tear up the bandwidth until they turn the thing off... Im moving in a few weeks anyway, so the account will be null soon....

SOOOOOOO>>>>>>> Come and get me Comcast..... hope I kill the bandwidth for the whole STATE.........

Jerks...

P.S. If anyone here works for comcast.... no offense.... If anyone here thinks I am Wrong... I don't care. DSL never sent me a letter and I did the EXACT same thing for 1.5 years with them, Cable can kiss my @$$!!!!!!

BTW, Dragon.... heads up.

• =DdogG=
    replied
    I dont think a terabyte is "acceptable usage" anywhere in the country for home use, but I know what you mean.... and If I cared, or was worried about being cut off, I would probably persue something like this, but since I am moving in a few days, Double you tee eff do I care?

Leave a comment:

• Wolfie
    replied
    I don't know why I never mentioned this before but you could have taken them to court and the odds of you winning are actually pretty good.

The key to winning is the fact that they didn't have you sign a contract that spells out a limit on bandwidth usage and the fact that how they determine going over the limit is very arbitrary.

If the cable company said you could only use X amount per month and you agreed to it when you signed up for the service, then they would win. However, since X is undefined and changes from location to location (because they "based" it on the usage in your community), most judges will rule in your favor.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    954 gigs over 31 days = 30 gigs a day
    30 gigs over 24 hours = 1.2 gigs an hour
    1.2 gigs over 60 minutes = 20 megs a minute (1.2 gigs x 1024 **convert to megs**)
    20 megs over 60 seconds = 341kbps (20 megs x 1024 **convert to kilo**)

with a 3.0+ megaBIT (mbps) connection..... yes, it was 24/7 full time to get that download. my download ranged from 182kBps to 567kBps with an overall average of 344kBps.

the kBps is kiloBYTES per second as windows reads it..... kiloBITS per second is 2730kbps. just a hair below what comcast quotes.

to convert kilobits and kilobytes, you must multiply the number windows gives you (which is kiloBYTES) by 8 which will give you kiloBITS (which is how ISP's rate thier speeds.)

Leave a comment:

• Tempus
    replied
    Ok, someone please do the math. That's how many KB/sec full time 24/7?

Leave a comment:

• Eclipse
    replied
    Holy sh*t ddog, thats quite a lot of transfering

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    bumpage for update.......

well, I transferred (upload and download combined) (***download was a whopping 954 gigs, upload was 59 gigs.***) a total of 1013 gigabytes in the month of october. 11 more would have made a nice round terabyte. I hope whoever is in charge of those letters chokes on his doughnut, spews his coffee, and wets his pants when he sees that number. Now to call them and tell them to turn my cable off in a week. F***ers.........

Leave a comment:

• _Ender_
    replied
    Copyright laws on TV shows is a gray area anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Wyzcrak
    replied
    Originally posted by dragon
    But like I said many many times there are loop holes in the rules and laws find them and you can't loss
    heh, true enough. Shheeeesh all you have to do is look at Prox's Bono post.

Wyzcrak

Leave a comment:

• dragon
    replied
    Originally posted by Wyzcrak
    but if they come in his house and find them how can they proove he didn't "make" the dup?
    Your theory removes the possibility that he'll be caught, not the possiblity that what he's doing is illegal. FWIW, there is a difference, right?

Wyzcrak
    By definition yes there is a diffrence. But like I said many many times there are loop holes in the rules and laws find them and you can't loss

Leave a comment:

• dragon
    replied
    that is why you turn uploads off or set bandwidth to very small so it says it will take forever and they will cancel and you should get 0 uploads

Leave a comment:

• Wyzcrak
    replied
    but if they come in his house and find them how can they proove he didn't "make" the dup?
    Your theory removes the possibility that he'll be caught, not the possiblity that what he's doing is illegal. FWIW, there is a difference, right?

Wyzcrak

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    When your not home share all your files on ODC and Que a Crap load of movies and such in 1 day just leaving my comp on not even trying i uploaded 2 gigs and downloaded i believe 5.

Leave a comment:

• dragon
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Wyzcrak
    replied
    But he (and me, and you, and everyone else that does it) isn't making dups? He's taking another person's dup. Isn't that significant?

Of course I'm just playing devil's advocate here, not claiming to know the right answer. If we prove this to be legal, you won't see me upset.

Wyzcrak

Leave a comment:

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
X