Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York Govenor Targets Violent Video Games

Found this an interesting read:

Spitzer said he will soon provide a bill that would target the ratings of video movies and video games "'that are often violent and degrading"' and can hurt children who repeatedly use and view them.

Spitzer said he wants to restrict access to these videos and games by children, similar to motion picture regulations which prohibit youths under 17 from being admitted to R-rated movies without a parent or adult guardian.

Under Spitzer's proposal, retailers who sell violent or degrading videos or video games to children contrary to the rating would be sanctioned.
    Discuss...

Read Full Article
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Re: New York Govenor Targets Violent Video Games

Most major retailers already do secret shops around movies/music/video games that have a mature rating. Employees who behave correctly are typically rewarded with things like gift certificates. Employees who consistently fail are let go. There is a lot at stake from a community standpoint as well as the potentially damning media coverage if you fail when a news team does an undercover story around violence in video games.

I know that both Best Buy and Circuit City will recycle electronic learnings around mature ratings on media (Software, Music, Movies) for all employees every 3 months or so. It's a big deal, but already heavily self-policed due to the high potential for humiliation from the press for repeated failures. I don't think they need a law, but to each their own.

Lucky Shot

Comment

Yeah, i didn't vote for him. They do ID for video games. I don't think it matters since our psycho was 23.
      Current member of the

Comment

The ESRB and the feds have had a gentleman's agreement on this issue for a few years now. I wonder what's prompting Spitzer to start barking all of a sudden - I don't recall it ever being a major campaign issue for him before. You don't think he's reacting to VT, do you?
        In game handle: Steel Scion
        sigpic

Comment

Hmm...not much to go on in that article. Anyone have any more details?

Comment

Tried and failed in my home state of Illinois.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061128-8306.html

In my opinion, he knows it's doomed to failure but is riding on the coattails of the VT incident to gain popularity.
            [squadl]
            "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler View Post
              I wonder what's prompting Spitzer to start barking all of a sudden - I don't recall it ever being a major campaign issue for him before. You don't think he's reacting to VT, do you?
              Spitzer runs on hot air.
              A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

I don't have a problem with people attacking a particular game IF it deserves it. Off the top of my head, that would be any game involving barney the dinosaur, barbie, or GTA3. I don't think anyone would dispute the first 2 I mentioned. I have a real problem with the content of GTA3. I think that it encourages mindless violence (within the game) and don't think the sex and drugs content is appropriate to any game. I worked in the games industry when it came out and was astounded at the number of parents who were buying this 18 rated game for their 10 year olds. Shop staff all over the country were desperately pointing out the content to these parents, and were ignored.

Most games, however, don't really do anything except entertain. There's a group of people who think weapon-based games (and violent films) cause violence in the real world. These same people believe that anyone who wants to own a gun must be evil, that they want to beat their children to death and are generally subversive. They believe that these games and films should be banned, and that it will cure the violence. Unfortunately, these people are very vocal and tend to errode the freedoms of the majority. They're also missing the point, which is that other causes account for the vast majority of violence.
                BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Spitzer said he wants to restrict access to these videos and games by children, similar to motion picture regulations which prohibit youths under 17 from being admitted to R-rated movies without a parent or adult guardian.

Under Spitzer's proposal, retailers who sell violent or degrading videos or video games to children contrary to the rating would be sanctioned.
                  The movie association voluntarily restricts access, this is a law which makes it completely different. We already have the ESRB for game ratings, game makers need to lean on retailers to voluntarily restrict access like the theaters do.

The biggest difference is where the viewing takes place. A theater can restrict access to minors, and can be sanctioned by distribution companies since the movie industry is highly self regulated. The game industry is lose knit and does not have that organization.

The real issue is that parents don't treat games like movies and actually read the ratings on the box. Why are they complaining about kids playing GTA which is rated M. Don't let your kids play GTA. it is that simple.
                  |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Ah but for the days when all of life's problems could be solved by banning Dungeons and Dragons.....

Comment

Video Games again, when the tragedy in columbine happened, all Natural Selection players were killers, god i hope this boy played nothing but Zelda, because we might actually benefit from the red tape nannying that will follow yet another tragedy. the government I'm sure will be using this to its best to create yet more draconian laws on what we can and cant do, and its all in the neo-conservative notion that we must accept for our own protection. yeah OK...

when will they address the real situation here, the aesthetic culture of the west, we see suicide bombings and other acts of violence in far off places and orientalize these images of thinking its all those strange foreigners not us. yet our culture of ridiculing someone because of a defect on their body, a strange way of acting, being fat, being too thin, being poorer, being no ones younger brother in the circle of friends, having big teeth.... i think you can see where I'm going with this. its no coincidence that in this country we have teenagers, about the same age as the columbine killers, committing suicide and ending what for them is a 5 year prison sentence in schools and higher education. and the thing is even though we do not condone it our culture actively encourages it, young girls turning to anorexia because they want to look like the latest size 0 model. we idolise these people and project an image of being perfect which 90% of people don't live up to. further to this we have made cutting ourselves up part of the acceptable culture so that we instill the thought that if you don't live up to "the norm" its your fault you have not worked hard enough for it.,

and what are we left with, introverts that are snapping, and taking out "their list" that list everyone has had a mental note of, people you would kill given the chance, i know a lot of people that have at some point thought of that, not seriously but when they were at their lowest they had that in mind, well what happens when you are the focal point of hatred and you are the introvert, and suddenly that list is huge... it becomes less a fantasy more a plan. you can only do so much to someone before they snap...

and let me end this rant and scribblings from a disturbed mind with the notion that it is not a single one of those killeds' fault, I'm not saying that they didn't deserve it no matter what they did, this is just my observation of the problem beyond the video games that will yet again, like the rock and roll era before it, be blamed for anything that ever happens with "those unruly youths".

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Originally posted by DudeMan View Post
                        Video Games again, when the tragedy in columbine happened, all Natural Selection players were killers, god i hope this boy played nothing but Zelda, because we might actually benefit from the red tape nannying that will follow yet another tragedy.
                        Bah. Don't you get it!? Zelda teaches us that a lone boy on a horse can rid the world of evil once he collects enough weapons by defeating mini-bosses! It may sounds like all fun and games, but it will lead to rampant vigilantism as young boys in green tunics ride on motor scooters wielding Katanas they bought off QVC for $14.99.

Guns don't kill people: effeminate men in green tunics do!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX View Post
                          Guns don't kill people: effeminate men in green tunics do!

Lmao... thats going on my signature bar.... lmao...

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Interesting parallel from China.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...src=rss&rpc=22

Lucky Shot

Comment

I see no reason why they should not be rated. The parents need to be parents and monitor what their children are doing and in today's society a rating system would help but it would hurt the industry too which makes it hard to deceide really.
                              "THOUGHTS BECOME THINGS"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X